“Hidden garden spot away from the city; outstanding staff.”

Sojourn Boutique Villas
Ranked #31 of 373 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 25 January 2011

This wonderful group of one-story “villas” was one of the highlights of our Southeast Asia trip. We were welcomed with cold, perfumed towels, a jasmine bracelet, delicious coconut pancake, and a fruit drink while we were told about the facility, including the availability of in-room massages at an extremely reasonable price, the availability of the swimming pool until 10 at night, and the meal offerings.

It’s outside the city of Siem Reap, but Sojourn provides a 12-passenger van for transportation if you need it. We hired a Khmer guide, Lim, through the hotel, and he and Sojourn driver Sary were just outstanding, taking us to many of the ruins of Angkor and explaining their significance. They even took us to a couple of truly local restaurants, where there was not another tourist in sight. One day we had a French “archaeologist”, who turned out to be working on a Ph.D. in art. We strongly recommend you hire Lim for this purpose at a much more reasonable price, more comprehensive information, better local flavor and understanding of the ruins. We recommend you devote several days to this area, and relax at the end of each day at this wonderful facility with outstanding, helpful and friendly staff. Did I mention the incredible included breakfast?

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Charlie S

Reviewed 15 January 2011

We had 7 perfect nights at Sojourn and could have stayed much longer. ALL the staff are amazing,so helpful and friendly ( without being intrusive) the food is wonderful and the sunsets from the "terrace"room are stunning. There is nothing more to be said that hasn't already been written, and wants more it's all true!!!!
Anthony and Fiona's dedication to improving the lifes of the local villagers is amazing and by taking part in the village tour and the cooking class, which by the way was great fun, you to and have a direct impact on the lives of the local people.
We rarely vist anywhere twice as the world is too big a place, but we are already planning a return trip later this year.

1  Thank welltravelled039
Reviewed 12 January 2011

I booked my second stay at the Sojourn thinking I'd know what to expect. I was wrong! For the second time, Sojourn exceeded my expectations.
This trip was with my family for 5 days during Christmas. We booked 2 Apsara Villa rooms, which are comfortable & extremely spacious, with a lovely stone bathtub in the toilet.
As always, the staff are extremely helpful without being overbearing, and they memorised all our names immediately which is a nice touch. When my brother missed his original connecting flight from Paris due to the heavy snow, they helped arrange an additional airport transfer at the last minute at no extra charge.
We ate most of our meals at the restaurant, and I have to say that the food is some of the best I've eaten in Cambodia at a very reasonable price. They have seasonal menus, so the dishes were not the same as my previous trip. Look out for the daily specials, and the delicious desserts (I strongly recommend the Baileys mousse).
Notable changes: they now accept credit cards at the hotel (Visa & Mastercard), so you dont have to go into town if you need to pay by card. Also, all the tuk tuk drivers now wear a Sojourn shirt, which makes it much easier to find them in the crowds if you go to town. They also seem to have made improvements to the swimming pool, as the water is much cooler now - I remember the pool used to be lukewarm on my last trip.
The only disadvantage of staying at Sojourn is that they set the bar so high. You come to expect the same levels from other hotels, which all fall woefully short. The only solution is to keep staying at Sojourn - I'm already planning my next trip!

• Stayed: December 2010
1  Thank radvani
Reviewed 9 January 2011

I was so excited about staying at the Sojourn after reading all the rave reviews and it exceeded all my expectations.
From the moment you step foot into the reception you know you are in for a real treat. The place is absolutly beautiful, the room, bathroom, gardens, pool, food and last but no means least the lovely staff.
Fantastic breakfast to set you up for the day. We couldn't wait to get back at lunchtime to relax around the pool, lunch sat at the bar in the pool. The natural spring rolls and beef on lemon grass skewers were just divine. Cocktails to die for and all served with those big Cambodian smiles.
The owners/management have put endless amounts of effort into the Sojourn and no stone has been left unturned - there is no room for improvement as everything was perfect for us.
After experiencing some really uncomfortable beds we managed to catch up on some sleep in the super comfortable beds.
We stayed in some lovely hotels on this holiday but nothing came close to this little slice of heaven.

Reviewed 7 January 2011

Sojourn offers not just a highly efficient and exceptionally good-natured staff and a serene and aesthetic premises but also the best food in Siem Reap and a progam of outreach into the local community that has singificantly improved the lives of the impoverished families in the nearby village. The Sojourn staff was attentive day and night to insure our stay was perfect -- and it was.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 January 2011

My husband and I stayed 2 weeks at Sojourn and came home with a feeling of humility and admiration for a country that has suffered so much. Our stay at Sojourn was a wonderful experience, the staff are a credit to management. Every day we were greeted by our name and our every need was met with a smile. The charming bungalows were immaculate and it was a pleasure to wander around the garden. Sojourn is situated about a 10 min tuk tuk ride into the heart of Siem Reap. Transport was never far away and it was interesting to see the daily activities of Treak Village. At night you could see the water buffalo enjoying the warmth from the fires they lit to keep them warm. Butterflies were plentiful in the garden and at night the frogs sat under the lamps that changed Sojourn into a dreamy retreat.. This review would not be complete without mentioning the beautiful food and the fantastic cocktails. The "Long Island Tea" is the best I have ever had. Perfect after a day at the temples. This hotel has raised the bar of the standard of Boutique Hotels and are to be commended in there committment to put something back into the community. We left Cambodia with a smile on our faces and a feeling that things are slowly changing for them and we have been a part of that.

Reviewed 2 January 2011

I booked on the hotels website and did a package which worked out well. The quality of the food, the rooms, and the staff were excellent. I think the thing that bothered me was that the first thing out of my driver's mouth was "you must be rich because you can afford to travel." That really left a bad first impression when I was picked up. Lost power one night and had to be moved in the middle of the night to a room with air conditioning. This was never acknowledged by the management nor the front desk staff. Other than these small matters, it was a good trip.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo