“Excellence!!”
Review of The River Garden

The River Garden
Reviewed 11 August 2014

This was my third stay at RG. The upstairs Khmer cottage was like a tree house with mod cons. The staff bend over backwards to please and Deb is a wealth of information on local matters. We did the Cooks in Tuk Tuks activity and I was thrilled to learn the cooking methods and the market tour was exciting and eye popping. My partner had an in house massage and was delighted with the bale and the quality/experience of the masseuse. The pool is wonderful and refreshing after a day of temples and the pool snacks are always welcome and delicious. I treasure the serene gardens. Give in a have some of the sweet treats at the front cafe, or a coldie cocktail if desired. I would stay here again!! We also linked up with or old favourite tuk tuk driver via RG. Just wonderful

Room Tip: Khmer upstairs cottage with partial outdoor bathroom, The deck is private yet has a treehouse feel u...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Juliette P
TherivergardenSR, Owner at The River Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Thank you for you kind words, and nice to have had the privilege to welcome you back Juliette! So good to hear you enjoyed your stay again, with all the beauty the hotel has to offer. You experienced the full package, including our traditional Khmer cottage, typical Khmer cooking, great massage, the lovely garden and pool, and delicious food and drinks. Hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back yet again!

There are newer reviews for The River Garden

Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel based on The Guardian's review of best 10 places in Siem Reap and I would say it is an OK hotel based on my experience (I have been working in the travel industry for 16 years) but not as special as mentionned.

Herewith find some information you might find useful:
-Nice garden with ponds with fishes and frogs (could hear them in the evening, this is very charming).
-They have mosquitoes spray in the room, very handy as it is full of them everywhere.
-Clean and nice bathroom.
-Good size room.
-Bed was not too confy.
-Jar of water instead of bottled one. Applause here!
-Breakfast: for me fantastic, with home made bread and jam and eggs but the choice is limited to corn flackes, muesli, bread, butter and jam, fruit and eggs.
-Location is not good if you want to go to the city centre as you need to pick up a tuk tuk but it is a very quiet area.
-Small pool that is very busy as non guests can use it. Lots of local kids which make it lively but not a place to relax in a quiet environment so if you are expecting this, forget it.
-Something a bit awkward from my point of view is that you see the owners quite a lot but appart from a hello, they say nothing else to you. In such a small hotel I think they lack of this personal touch you would expect. I do not pretend or want people to talk to me all day long but something in the lines of 'welcome to our hotel' on arrival and 'are you enjoying your time' would be nice.
Hope this helps!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank SandraL75
TherivergardenSR, Owner at The River Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Thank you Sandra for sharing your feedback, always very useful indeed. We are pleased to hear you experienced our lovely garden, spacious room and amazing breakfast (did you try our restaurant or bakery too?). We love the area as its close to the center, but also a bit like a hidden spot. You are right that the pool can be a bit busy, we try to limit this, bus also like the livelyness of it just as you. For a moment of relaxation, we could suggest the restaurant or the bakery at the entrance of the hotel, reading a book at your private balcony or patio, or maybe enjoying a massage at the exclusive massage house. I am sorry to hear you didn’t get to experience the personal touches that we always strive, we hope to get another chance to show you these. Hoping you enjoyed your stay, and we would like to welcome you back for another experience, maybe an even better one :)

Reviewed 9 August 2014

We stayed for 7 days with friends and 2 children and couldn't recommend the RiverGarden more!
All service was exceptional - from booking, to transfers to and from the airport, reception, the restaurant, housekeeping and the bar!

Our children had a wonderful time exploring the gardens and ponds and loved falling asleep to the sounds of the frogs! And the pool was the perfect place for young an old to refresh after a day out in the heat.

We loved the location of the hotel, the neighbourhood was really friendly and only a short Tuk-Tuk ride into Pub Street and on the way to the temples. We also loved that it was set back from the street like a hidden oasis.

The restaurant menu was great and provided plenty of dishes to choose from (we ate there more often than we originally anticipated because of this)!

Most importantly however are the staff. Staying at the RiverGarden was a truly memorable experience for all of us - especially the children. The staff cared for them as if they were their own. We felt welcome the entire time we stayed and all staff were genuinely friendly, caring and eager. This includes the Tuk Tuk drivers and the Guide for our Temple visit.

Our room could be considered basic but it included all that we needed for a great and comfortable holiday - especially one that allowed kids to roam safely and freely outside (which is what its all about really).

If you're looking for a family friendly location that allows you to seek adventure and experience but also take some nice down time with the family then this is the hotel for you.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Pip A

Hello Pip, we would love to thank you and your family for staying with us, and for recognizing that our hotel is a great location for families! Me and my staff always strive for these personal touches and memorable experiences, happy to hear we succeeded! I will forward your nice words to our staff. And we hope to have the pleasure to welcome you and your family again

Reviewed 9 August 2014

We stayed here for 4 days so we could see the temples and were very lucky with our choice.

If you decide to cycle to Angkor Wat or Srah Srang (White bike hire is 2 dollars a day, and to my mind cycling is the the best way to see the temples). For a sunrise, this is the place to head off from. It's just a few hundred metres off the main road to Angkor Wat. So, at monsoon time, get up at 5am cycle off, check out 2 temples and then come back for a break and a delicious (!) breakfast at the River Garden. Then head out again for an early afternoon til sunset bike tour and have Fish Amok or other great Cambodian meals for dinner, maybe with a happy hour cocktail ;) and a swim (the pool is so much fun - big enough to do laps without disturbing the kids on their somersault competitions) .

This place did everything for us that we needed: we had great air-con, that allowed us to wash and dry! our clothes (though, if you want to you can use their service for a dollar a piece), There were umbrellas in our room to take with us, gorgeous frogs in the little ponds outside and flowers blooming. There were ducks and dogs and geckos, ginger plants with a label (thank you from the ignorant European tourist - I love ginger but would not have recognized the plant) basically anything you want to see on your Asian holidays.

The staff was very friendly and organised our coach trip to Phnom Penh in a bus with Wifi for 15 dollars each.

There is, however, potential to improve the rooms. The bed we had was big and comfy, but the bathroom/toilet space could have been nicer (it was clean, but run down, with a hole instead of a handle on the bathroom door). We stayed in a garden hut and the window was facing the reception area so we had the curtains drawn all the time. If you want to have a nice place to hang out while its raining (in monsoon season) pick a place with a terrace or hang out at the restaurant.
Also, there is potential to impreve those gorgeous little huts they have a around the pool. The huts are nice, but the furniture in it could be replaced.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you Kati for sharing your comments, and lovely to hear you enjoyed our delicous cuisine, the pool and our beautiful garden with all these different plants and animals. This jungle garden is very unique, as its the last remaining jungle area in Siem Reap, so happy you got to appreciate all it has to offer! And if you come another time, we are happy to offer you one of our rooms with a private balcony or patio, so you can enjoy the view and relax after a long day of cycling. Or maybe you prefer a happy hour cocktail, up to you:). Hope to welome you again

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Booked in on the recommendation of a friend.

I must admit that contact via email was very good and they were extremely friendly and helpful. Plus the website looked great and the rooms looked pretty amazing.
Decided to book this for our anniversary. What a mistake!

Escorted to our room by a very friendly receptionist who asked for full payment of our three nights in advance before seeing the room. Luckily our money was at the bottom of the bag and I said I would bring it down to him once we had unpacked.

The room smelt of damp and looked like something out of the 1970s. A quick look around the room showed holes in the ceiling/roof, droplets of water on the floor where the roof/ceiling had leaked, the top of the headboard had been eaten away by, what I presume was, water droplets (as the bed had been pulled away from the wall so that the droplets would not land on it).

The bathroom, at first glance, looked lovely. However, what you are not shown or told on the website is that the top of the walls do not meet the roof and it is technically an "outside" area that allows all manner of bugs to join you! I counted four mosquitoes and a gecko...perhaps I should have knocked before entering.

I came down, paid for my one night (as I wasn't very happy) and mentioned all of the above to the polite receptionist. I was told that I should "lock the door" to stop them getting in. I didn't have a problem with them coming through the door, or with mosquitoes breaking in, my problem was that they had ample opportunity to come in via the holes in the ceiling and in the mosquito netting around the room. He then suggested I "spray room with spray". It's not really the type of environment I want to sleep in; being invaded by hoardes of mosquitoes whilst trying to fight them off with a finite amount of "Raid"! As it was, our brief excursion into the room/bathroom resulted in a combined total of 7 bites!

We asked at reception if there were any restaurants nearby and were told that there weren't. We decided to try the hotel restaurant. There were approximately 7 guests having dinner in what looked like an Internet cafe. We waited to be seated and were asked if we would like to sit outside. Now, I'm all for al fresco dining, however when it is raining and has been for the previous 6 hours it's not really what I would recommend!!!

I went back to talk to the receptionist and he suggested I upgrade to an $85 room and pay for it. I told him that the room was not as described and not what I wanted to stay in. That I would like my money back as we had been there less than 30minutes. He called his manager and told me that they would not refund me my money.

I'd stay away if I were you. I know people hardly ever read the longer reviews but there are so many more better options in Siem Reap. Don't waste the time or money with this place, it's off the beaten track, right by the river which is rife with mosquitoes who are more than welcome at this establishment...they don't even have to pay the exorbitant prices to stay in your room!

• Stayed: August 2014
5  Thank Womblegallagher
therivergarden, Owner at The River Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

I love a review like this one. I must thank Mr Womble for commending my staff on their lovely manner. They are the gateway to the hotel and I'm very proud of them.
If This guest had booked via an agent or online by credit card then he would have paid in advance without complaint. You don't book a holiday and pay for it on your return do you?
In regards to the mosquitos .......... ~ fancy booking a holiday in a tropical 3rd world country in the middle of wet season and being surprised that you encountered precisely 4 mosquitos!
Our restaurant serves great food. That's probably why it was so busy. We'd just had another huge tropical downpour ( which I'm not taking responsibility for). I am sorry that Mr Womble was offered a damp seat and that he had to suffer with the gorgeous leftover drops of rain enriching our wonderful old growth trees and garden. As the guest suggested, he spent less than 30 minutes at the hotel. Unfortunately he didn't allow enough time to experience his Original Khmer Cottage with typically Khmer outdoor bathroom, he missed tasting our great food in the restaurant and he upset my lovely staff with his bad attitude even though he was offered a free upgrade to a deluxe room.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I loved my stay at the River garden, food was great, staff excellently friendly and helpful, the street food tour was magic, the pastry counter in the reception area is to die for, would reccommend this place to anyone!!,

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Marianne L

Thank you for the nice words Marianne, really good to hear you enjoyed your stay at our hotel! Thank you for the compliments of our food and staff, I will make sure we will forward it to them, they will appreciate it very much. We are very thrilled with our new bakery and with our unique Street Food Tour, happy to hear you can recommend both! Hope we can welcome you back someday

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We loved our stay at the River Garden. We ended up spending our entire 10 days here as it was such a warm friendly serene place. The restaurant is great. Lovely breakfasts. Killer cocktails. The small details were appreciated such as an open pool for non-guests, bikes for a cause and encouraging guests to refill water bottles with their filtered water rather than buy water. Its away from the tourist centre but not too far and there are some lovely restaurants a short walk away such as Touich and a great Italian restaurant.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family