“Would be able to live there!”

Seven Candles Guest House
Ranked #13 of 513 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I am a 70 year old traveler, and i had an opportunity to go to Cambodia for a month! i stayed the entire time at Seven Candles Guesthouse, and i had a wonderful time. The first vacation that i was not ready to go home. I loved the family atmosphere. Such kindness cannot be described. How lovely to be surrounded by such attention and fun! It was nice to be with the children of the Ly family! My room was perfect, comfortable and very clean. How nice to put my dirty sweaty close in the hall to have them return all clean, folded etc. One time when my laundry was returned, i had some cash in an envelope in my laundry, apparently i had left some cash in a pocket (bad habit of mine) and it was returned! Not so sure that would have happend anywhere else! i loved the breadfast on the patiro every morning....it was like eating with family....Tuk Tuk drivers very polite and they try to serve you to a high degree....I loved those yourng men. A SPECIAL THANKS to the 3 year old Yutt, that made me so happy to see his beautiful little sweet face....Any way, i am rambling....i would go back tomorrow.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank travelingsenior1943

Reviewed 2 April 2014

I stayed at Seven Candles in August 2011 (Not 2013 - menu didn't go back that far) with a girlfriend during a long trip through South East Asia. This guest house is so much more than a place to stay! Not only is it clean, with helpful amenities for guests (i.e. breakfast, private tour guides & drivers that can be arranged on site, laundry service, and internet), but the owners/operators are the sweetest family. The little ones are eager to make friends, and the staff is incredibly warm and helpful. Seven Candles is also associated with the Ponheary Ly Foundation (Ms. Ly and her family run the guest house) which supports education initiatives in Cambodia. Our stay in Siem Reap was incredible and you leave knowing you're doing a little bit of good at the same time. I HIGHLY recommend this guest house.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Christina L
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I just finished an 8 day stay at the Seven Candles Guest House in Siem Reap, Cambodia. To be sure, it is a guest house and not a 5 star resort and spa. But it truly is the "best in its class" - a first class bargain in the heart of Siem Reap. The guest house is located on Wat Bo Road within easy walking distance from Pub Street, markets, and the Angkor National Museum. Bicycles are available for easy transportation as well. Tours of the area and most especially, the Angkor Temple Complex can be arranged at the guesthouse as several of the Ly family (who own and manage the guest house) are official tour guides. The rooms are quite spacious, clean and comfortable. Each has its own small balcony and the bathrooms are large and modern with good water pressure and hot water on demand. Rooms also have AC though they seem to keep the air dry rather than cool - but that was just fine. Each floor has a small lounge area for relaxing and a large water dispenser so you can fill your water bottle each day. Breakfast is served downstairs in a patio area and dinner can be ordered at the upstairs lounge. Meal choices were plentiful, very tasty, and quite a bargain. I loved the vegetable fried rice, the fried noodles with vegetables, and the lime juice served upstairs for dinner. All the staff are warm and welcoming and most helpful in making your stay in Cambodia a most enjoyable and memorable one.

And while you're there, learn about the wonderful work that the Ponheary Ly Foundation is doing to help education rural children in the Siem Reap area. Their work is quite impressive and if you have the time and resources, you can participate in some activities that involve some of the schools served by the foundation.

I highly recommend this guest house. Dollar for dollar, a great value. Locally owned and managed. Can't get any better than this.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank NewtravelerHawaii
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

I'm not exaggerating or joking in the least when I say my absolute favourite part of our 5 day stay in Siem Reap was NOT Angkor Wat... It was the wonderful, homey atmosphere waiting for us each evening at the Seven Candles Guesthouse. I cannot say enough good things about this place, and I can't think of a single negative (and I can be pretty picky about my accommodation)! To list a few:
- the most comfortable bed I have slept on in any hostel/backpackers/guesthouse/etc
- friendly, genuine hospitality from Ponheary and all of her team, regardless of if it was 7am or 9pm
- A/C (it is so hot here.. This was awesome to have!)
- lovely, clean rooms and bathrooms
- local advice if you have questions
- delicious breakfast (We ordered something different everyday and every item was delicious. Try the Cambodian crepes, different, but so good)
- short distance to pretty much all you need and many of the tourist sites, especially if you borrow a bike
- the notices and advice given in print through the building are always written with a bit of humour and you can't help but enjoy reading them

And lastly, (if you're still reading my long winded review) the Ponheary Ly Foundation that goes hand in hand with the guesthouse is doing wonderful work. If nothing else, the guesthouse and foundation are worth a "google" just so you can read about the good they are doing.

We are in the middle of a long term trip (we've been traveling for 4 months so far on this particular trip), and this is the BEST accommodation we've had on this trip, and quite possibly the best ever. Countless times we've said while out around Siem Reap "let's head home?" Or other similar statements, because within a couple hours this really does feel like home.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Amanda B
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We arrived at our guest house after a long hot train ride from Thailand then a long bus ride and were exhausted, not really knowing what to expect therefore we only booked one night. After we signed in and saw the room we were amazed at how nice this place was and immediately booked the rest of our nights here. The beds were memory foam and it was the best night sleep we have had in a long time. The rooms were extremely clean the facilities were amazing and the staff was extremely helpful. The breakfast was also extremely delicious we enjoyed everything that we had eaten. I would definitely stay here again and I would recommend this place to anyone coming to Siem Reap

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bortron
Reviewed 26 March 2014

The Rooms are nice and all have a balcony with comfortable chairs. Good bathrooms, comfortable bed, all in all one of the nicer places. The location is a little bit out of the way, but they have free bicycles for the guests. What really makes this place a gem is the little things. Everyone is very friendly and helpful. There is a great attention to detail. The room comes with a little written introduction to cambodian customs and food and a wonderfull list of suggestion on eateries and things to do in town. In addition to the rooftop bar, there is a nice open terrace space on every floor that is beautifully furnished, has a computerstation and is just a great hangout spot.
We loved our stay here.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChewyBanana
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Location is ideal. It's about 10-15 min walk to Pub Street where the action is. What's great is that Seven Candles offers free usage of their street bicycles, which will take you only 5 min to get to Pub Street.

I used their bicycles to bike to Angkor Wat for 2 days. The route was surprisingly simple -- just a straight road northwards for 30 min and I was within the temple area. So the complimentary bicycles minimized my transport costs.

My room was extremely clean. Not lavish, but just like home, which was good enough for me. They just renovated their bathrooms so it was much better than I expected. Hot water and free WIFI (3 different networks) were very reliable. They also provide potable water at the common area so i didn't find a need to use the water boiler which was provided.

The guesthouse is family run and Ponheary, Kalyan, Isa, Darai and their staff were very hospitable hosts.

Seven Candles was a great choice for me and I'll definitely stay there again when i visit Siem Reap.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo