“The Staff are the Best Asset at the River Village Manor” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of River Village Manor

River Village Manor
Ranked #43 of 500 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“The Staff are the Best Asset at the River Village Manor”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

Please be clear that the staff at the River Village Manor could not have been kinder, friendlier or more helpful. But we did not particularly enjoy our stay here. I agree with a previous reviewer that it was more like a hotels upgrade. The bed was king size and comfortable with good air conditioning which is critical for my husband. The bathroom is appalling. Barely clean, although that could be and impression because it was very run down. The shower head seemed to spray everywhere other then on where you could stand. Not shower curtain or screen to contain it. Fortunately we were not in the room much as our stay was short and busy. It was too far from down town for us. The Tuk tuk ride was at least 20 minutes. Some tuk tuk drivers were not too keep to come out of town to River Village Manor as they knew that they wouldn't get a fare back. The breakfast was simple, Bread, tea/coffee and fruit. We would not stay here again. But we do thank the staff for being so friendly and obliging.

Room Tip: Stay closer to downtown. There are plenty or small interesting places in better locations.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Beijing
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

Stayed at River Village Manor in the run up to Christmas for our holiday in Cambodia. Room was great, no complaints, it's how I expected it to be. A little far from Pub Street and the restaurants, walked it the first night and it was do-able but a bit far in the dark, nothing a 2 dollar tuk tuk won't sort out.
Pool was nice, internet was speedy enough. Did the major sites with the hotels awesome driver Lom and he was unbelievably flexible, knowledgable and friendly, kudos to him, top guy. Staff were very friendly but my apologies it's a been a while and I didn't write the names down.
I'd stay here again if I ever return to Siem Riep (And I would love to return!)

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at the RVM for long periods (up to 2 months at a time each year) over the last five years. There is new ownership there now and I won't be staying there again.

During this visit;
*No airport pickup despite confirmation
*No room on arrival despite confirmation- had to sleep in a musty storage room (has a bed) after 25 hours air travel
*Owner helps himself to guest's belongings in refrigerator, repeatedly (and finishes them completely- I deducted the equivalent value from my bill)
*Hotel without water for one evening with no owner in sight to mange the issue
*Owner yelling at barking dog next door at 3 AM screaming profanities banging on metal gate, waking all guests (I never heard the dog!)
*Room changed without notice - owner had staff pack my belongings and moved to new room without notice or permission (just shrugged when confronted about it).

The owner offered no sincere apology regarding any of this - just a smug face and a shrug and blamed his staff but I would suggest that he needs to be on top of his business much more than he is if he wishes it to be a success. All of the above issues can be laid at his feet. The staff have always been excellent and competent in the past and are the only thing holding the place together as he seems pretty "relaxed" about his business preferring to entertain his girlfriend rather than manage a hotel.

Clearly the hotel will not continue to be ranked highly on Trip Advisor if this keeps up. My advice? Find somewhere else to stay. Other issues are security on the streets in this area. Do not walk alone at night as there was an armed robbery and a purse snatching just down the road during the time of my stay.

My apologies to my friends on the staff there, you were all wonderful as usual, but people should know that this business is not being well run, perhaps it will improve if the owner heeds Trip Advisor reviews. I do hope there is no trouble for you as a result of my comments.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank poboysammy
Jakarta, Indonesia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

I want to be clear that we had a nice stay at the hotel, particularly because the staff was so helpful in arranging things for us but the hotel is not "nice" in modern terms. Its definitely older, not the cleanest, and our bathroom was tiny with a shower head that just sprayed over the whole room. It is more like an upgraded hostel than a low-star hotel. If you want to be off the beaten path, its great, I had a great run along the river one morning, but if I were to do it over again I would stay closer to "downtown" (but still on the river - don't stay on Airport road unless you need a huge family resort). The breakfast at River Village was pleasant, fresh baguettes, coffee/tea and fruit salad and you can order eggs and bacon or pancakes in addition (at a separate cost). We did arrange a tuk-tuk airport pick up and it was there and he spoke some English and gave us a lovely welcome to the town. We also arranged a tour of the temples through the hotel which was a little confusing because the front desk staff stated one price, but at the end of the tour the guide and the ruk ruk driver claimed they needed different payments. It was only an additional $10 but it seemed odd and there was no one at the front desk to help us at the time so we ended up apying it, I would just pay through the front desk next time instead of directly with the guides/drivers. I personally wouldn't stay here again because I would prefer a different location but the staff is what makes this place special. If you find the right price, it is a fine option.

Room Tip: There's no elevator so don't consider it if you need accessibility.
Denham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

Was slightly concerned at first as Tuk Tuk driver had been arranged to pick me up but wasn't there due to my flight delay and I had read a Trip Advisor review the previous night which was making me nervous about my choice. However I took another Tuk Tuk and when arrived I was greeted by a smiling face and received apology for the mix up. I was in room 10 (the furthest away) and the room was huge with balcony over looking street and river. Whilst shower room was bit dated it was fully functional and room was clean. Wooden safe box which I decided not to use and take valuables with me. Room had air con, fridge with drinks, TV, free water, hair dryer, and for a change loads of plug sockets!. Note no lifts so bear that in mind. Friendly welcome at Breakfast (lady remembered my name), plate of fresh fruit & warm crusty baguette. If you have scrambled eggs etc you have to pay, but only a few dollars and worth it as it sets you up for the day! Nice pool and garden although didn't have time to use it. It's slightly out of the main town but a $3 Tuk Tuk ride soon gets you there in under 10 mins! Remember to take address with you to prompt the drivers. After checking out I could leave my luggage locked away in room not used and have a shower before heading to the airport. Had a chat with the new Owner who has been here a few months and he kindly let me use the phone to make local call to a tour company. Real mix bag of guests, from families to couples to solo travellers like me. In summary, whilst needs some updating, this is a great friendly B&B, with lovely staff (shame I can't remember their names!), that I would recommend and is great value for money.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

We booked the hotel 2 days in advance and named the bus, that was supposed to bring us from Laos to Siem Reap. Unfortunately, our bus arrived with a delay of six hours. Even we did not asked for pick-up, the driver, sent by the hotel, waited to bring us to the hotel. In the middle of the night a friend without reservation got a room, as well. That's an incredible service!
The rooms were very good: big enough, clean and not noisy. Nice beds, by the way. We enjoyed breakfast and more important during March – the pool. The whole hotel was very clean, cosy and only nice people around – guests and staff. It is an oasis in Siem Reap, as you can get away from the cities atmosphere. Quite close to the temple area, as well. It was the perfect place for our stay in Siem Reap and we would recommend this hotel without any exception and in any case.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tirambia I
Kamala, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

Before coming to Siem Reap, I searched for hotels and, as always, was overwhelmed. I picked RVM and booked it for two nights, figuring I could go elsewhere if it didn't measure up. I ended up staying all 5 nights, and didn't even consider looking anywhere else. It is far enough on the outskirts of town to not have to deal with the bustle and noise of downtown (which really isn't all that bad), yet it is convenient to do whatever you want. Hotel staff are not just courteous, they are genuinely warm and friendly... ALL of them, ALL of the time. I'm not one to applaud people for simply doing their job, but I really liked everybody here very much. The tuktuk driver they arranged, Mr. Thom, was also great... took me all over the place, and can help you hit different temples at different times so you can avoid crowds (except for Angkor Wat...which you can't avoid). While Roy had just sold the place, I am confident that the new owner will continue to run a wonderful facility (although his smoking in the breakfast patio in the morning was a drag).

Room Tip: Had River view room on the 3rd floor... very nice. Can't speak about any other rooms
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo