“Good Value for money”

Ranked #177 of 356 Hotels in Siem Reap
Singapore, Singapore
“Good Value for money”
Reviewed 4 April 2013

My family and I have just been to Siem Reap and stayed for 4 nights at Shining Angkor Boutique Hotel. We stayed in one of the family rooms which was clean,functional with wi-fi access. Room was cleaned each day and fresh towels given. Beds were very comfortable! We could have had more space being a family room and us having 2 teenage boys. Better reading lights for night time reading would be good. TV should be placed opposite beds so that everyone can see the TV. The staff were very polite and pleasant and no one tried to push tours onto us, or try to sell us stuff. They assisted us with transport to town as and when we needed and always with a friendly smile. We had breakfast each day which was good. It was very hot - 38 degrees so AC in the bedroom was much needed. Overall the hotel ticked the boxes and was good value for the money spent. Its a little out of the main hub of Siem Reap but an easy fun Tuk Tuk drive away for only 2/3 dollars!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Wurzburg, Germany
Reviewed 2 April 2013

We have enjoyed every day in this beautiful hotel! Entering it (without shoes!) you leave heat and noise of outside and you can find calm and relaxation. Staff is very helpful and friendly! Short ways to Angkor temples. (we didn´t use fitness center and spa, no rating)

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I stayed at the Shining Angkor Hotel during the month of October when the annual monsoon was winding down. It was the "low season" and I got a large room wih a balcony for an excellent rate. The bed had a wonderful mattress and I'd say it was the best bed of the several hotels I stayed in all around Cambodia. The shower was also a high point, never running out of hot water and a strong stream of water. There were three things that made this hotel a special experience for me. I spent hours out on the balcony reading and enjoying the sight, smell and sound of the late afteroon monsoon rains. I came to regard the monsoon season to be my favorite season in this beautiful land. Second was the staff at Shining Angkor. They are very friendly and eager to please without being intrusive. Lastly was the restaurant which was outstanding both for the full service breakfasts they provide, unlike the tired buffet breakfasts you find at so many hotels these days and for the quality of the items on the dinner menu. The dinner menu wasn't extensive, but the food was so good I ended up eating dinner at the hotel 17 of the 30 days I spent at the Shining Angkor Hotel. I was able to chat with the restaurant's chef and as a retired chef I was very impressed with his knowledge of Thai as well as Khmer cuisines. His Prawn Salad and several soups were real treats. His Fried Squid was outstanding. The hotel has a saltwater pool which is small but I never saw it crowded with guests. The pool was kept very clean. All in all I would highly recommend the Shining Angkor Boutique Hotel to anyone looking for value, location and friendly service.

Room Tip: It's worth spending a little more to get a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank William C
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Had a great time in Cambodia! A lot of that had to do with this hotel since it was the staff there who advised us on what to do while there. They provided us with personalized service which was over and beyond our expectations. They fetched us from the airport and their tuktuk drivers were very friendly and accommodating as well. Though the menu is limited, they also have very good coffee which my friends loved and in fact, bought whole bags of it to take home to Manila.

You definitely get value for your money. The rooms are very clean and the hotel in general, is comfy and homey. If only for the great staff here, I would love to come back. Just a little bit more improvement on the menu, though, and the rating would be perfect.

Another plus is the fact that this is located near Angkor itself and the city of Siem Reap and that made it easy for us to go around. Overall, I will definitely be returning. Thank you for the great service.

• Stayed March 2013
Varna, Bulgaria
Reviewed 18 March 2013

A clean and comfortable place to stay. We did not have an access to a balcony ( a triple room). It turned out to be a problem in Cambodia as a whole. Balconies seem to be a luxury! Despite this fact, we had a pleasant stay. The staff are helpful and friendly. We did not feel isolated or in trouble. The hotel is a conveniet starting point for the temples and you'll spend most of your time on the temple grounds anyway.
The interior is traditionally decorated. The restaurants are 2 km away and by tuk-tuk it costs 2dollars.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Just got back from my trip to Cambodia, and stayed here at this hotel with friends. It may be a small-size hotel but nothing beats the personal service that comes with it. One staffer, Mr. Khim, stands out especially. His advice on where to go, what to do, what to take contributed in giving us a very seamless trip in Siem Reap. I've been to several countries but the hotel staff here is definitely one of the best.

I am also such a coffee lover, and for the first time in my life, I tasted the most amazing coffee in the world! And I thought the best coffee is from my country (the Philippines), that exotic Civet Cat coffee (Alamid coffee). It beats out the competition as well (Starbucks, Coffee Bean, etc) with its rich taste and aroma. We looked forward to breakfast each time because of the unlimited, wonderful coffee. We fell in love with it so much so that my friends and I just had to request one of the staff to buy us each a kilo of the special coffee from their supplier to take home to the Philippines.

Also, Shining Angkor is conveniently located midway between Siem Reap and the Angkor temples. I am certainly looking forward to coming back to Cambodia and staying again here at this hotel.

Thank you, Shining Angkor, for a great experience!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Reviewed 13 March 2013

Cambodia!? I had no idea what to expect. When I arrived at the hotel, I was immediately impressed with how clean it is. After 3 weeks in Thailand, its EASILY the cleanest hotel I have been in. Spotless really. My room is the cheapest version I think, but it is nicely appointed.

The staff is VERY kind, each and every one of them. The food in the restaurant was quite good as well. I highly recommend this place. It is a bit far from the Night Market and that scene but its a quick tuk tuk ride away. I rather enjoy having some distance from all that energy.

If I have one complaint, its that the shower head is very low. Like 4 feet from the ground. Also, it seems you get about 2 gallons of hot water from the rather small water heater. There is a bathtub but not enough hot water to come close to filling it. Rather useless.

Wi-fi Speedtest results (speedtest.net): 1.29mbps down /1.82mbps up

Wi-fi is free and although not the fastest, it worked. I watched a movie one night and the signal dropped about 10 times for a 10 seconds or so.

As for Angkor Wat, its a $5 tuk tuk ride each way. No big deal.

If you're thinking of staying here, do. You won't regret it.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo