“Fun experience- even for vegetarians!”

Le Tigre de Papier Cooking School
More attraction details
Owner description: A perfect way to learn the secrets of Khmer cooking at Le Tigre de Papier’s cooking school. After picking your favourite dish from the menu (one starter, one main course and one dessert), join one of the daily classes and you will be taught how to prepare the dish for yourself by one of our Khmer chefs. Then you will be able to taste your dishes ! The price is $12 including a guided visit of the central market.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 28 May 2014

After the temple tours, we had a free afternoon, so we just walked into Le Tigre De Papier and saw that they offered a cooking class - 3 dishes for $14 per person. We signed up on the spot. It turned out to be a great experience within a small group. The kitchen was airy and clean. Our teacher- Sovun, was great- very jovial and made the class more lively. I chose the papaya salad and the fresh vegetarian spring rolls- both turned out great and the recipes were promptly emailed with substitute ingredients. We sldp learnt the pumpkin custard for dessert- which I will definitely try again. Fun experience overall.

1  Thank petalsandwaves
There are newer reviews for Le Tigre de Papier Cooking School

Reviewed 20 May 2014

So the course started by choosing from restaurant menu what would you like to cook. Next part was going to local market (no tourists) to "buy" all the stuff needed. This part was bit worse then i expected because we weren't really buying things just briefly went through the market and got some explanation of just some things what we will use, as i expected it more about all ingredients what we'll use exactly for our food but maybe i missed something because it was pretty noisy and crowded by locals.
Anyway afterwards we went to the restaurant's upper floor where class took its place. Started by preparing all the stuff needed for starter & main dish which was really nice and personal as there're only four of us. Lady chef was really friendly and explained everything what was asked and needed (what basically fixed the market part). Cooking itself took about 2 hours finished by preparing dessert, during that time we had lot of fun and learned lot of new things. Then we got some good serving tips and tricks about how to arrange food in local style and when the food was all done we took everything downstairs to restaurant space and had wonderful feast :)
Generally there are 2 possibilities 14$ - 1 starter 1main 1 dessert or 22$ 2 and 2 and 1
We took the first one (1-1-1) and i could barely finish all that delicious food :D
At the end we got even certificate about absolving the course!
You also get all the information about all their food (recipes and videos of preparation) by email so its another nice thing! :) Also you'll have your photos on their FB page.
Can honestly recommend this one ;)

Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Last minute idea to participate in a cooking class & it was worth it!

The great thing about this class is everyone gets to chose what dishes they want to cook. There isn't a pre determined set that everyone has to cook so it's definitely worth the experience!

We were expecting to go to the old markets with a guide & but everything, however the markets are more a learning experience of what is what - would be great if they let you try some fruits/foods that were foreign, but I guess time doesn't permit.

The cooking classrooms themselves were a good size. There were 6 of us comfortably in there slicing & dicing away.

Our teacher Navin was clear with instructions & a great teacher to show us a few decorative ways to cut carrots into flowers & fold banana leaves into bowls - all in all a very good teacher who had 6 of us cooking all different dishes & managed to do this in a timely & professional manner.

TIP - have a small snack before you start class as your mouth will water during the cooking process - (unless they introduce the snacking part through the market).

The serving sizes of the food was large so be prepared for a filling meal & a great learning experience!

They email you the recipes post class & We are looking forward to cooking a few dishes for our family once home.

A must do activity - we did the dinner package for $14usd & it was a great deal!

Reviewed 27 April 2014

My husband and I had so much fun and the food we cooked was delicious. I booked this for us on our first full day in Siem Reap before we started our temple sightseeing. We wanted to do something that would not take up a whole day. I made our reservations for the evening class which ended up lasting several hours but you never noticed as the time flew by. The class is held upstairs over the restaurant of the same name. Our instructor was a woman but I forgot to write her name down. She was great.

There were 6 of us for the class. It was just the right size. First we were taken to the local market and different food items were pointed out to us. There were things I had never seen before that are used in SE Asian cooking. The colors, smells, sounds exploded around us. It was great to see these fresh ingredients that we would be using.

We then chose which starter and entrees we wanted to try our hand at. Upstairs we donned our aprons and began to listen/watch and learn. Making curry paste was not easy as you have to really pound the ingredients together using a mortar & pestle. As I worked at my "station" I kept thinking about our problems with Jet Blue which made me work fast and furious. In no time at all my curry paste was done!

My husband and I made papaya salad, banana blossom salad, curry with chicken, and seafood amok. Our finished plates were presented to us down in the restaurant. There was enough food that we could sample each others' efforts. We also ordered 2 very nice glasses of the house white wine. We had a blast cooking but even better was getting to enjoy the end results of our labor. I never knew I was such a good cook! All the food was delicious!

We were asked for our e-mail addresses and Jean Luc promptly sent us the recipes from the cooking class. The cost was $14 per person which include 1 non alcoholic drink which came in handy as you were cooking. The 2 glasses of wine was $5 total.

A great evening of fun and good food.

1  Thank chris45ny
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Our class of six people was totally absorbed in the preparation and cooking of our chosen dishes. We each chose a starter and a main from the menu, then went with our efficient and lovely cooking facilitator, Sevuen, to see and buy the ingredients in the market over the way.
Amazingly the many dishes all came together in time for our delicious lunch. The kitchen was clean, as were all utensils and joy of joys, no MSG is used. Do squeeze this into your itinerary. You'll have happy meals for ever as they provide you with the recipes too. Excellent value for money.