“Mixed feelings”

Cuisines: Cambodian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 13 October 2011

Not sure what to say about this restaurant. The food was ok but not great. Some of our large group had western food which was pretty ordinary, but those who had Khmer etc seemed to enjoy it. My stir fried chilli basil chicken was very good, but my rating is based more on the overall sense I go from the group at large.
Waiters were very engaging and entertaining so that was fun. The beer was served cool but not chilled.

There are newer reviews for Tany Khmer Family Kitchen

Reviewed 23 September 2011

I grew to love Cambodian food during my 1 week stay, so I was expecting lots from this restaurant, especially since it was recommended by my guide. Service was great, staff very attentive and tried very hard to practise English with us. Very pleasant and friendly. Food wasn't bad either, nor was it great. Cambodian dishes are smaller than in North America in general, but this restaurant's portions seemed much smaller than other places. Not one of the most memorable restaurants, but the food is still okay.

Reviewed 14 May 2011

We were recommended this restaurant by out\r guide and driver. We went along because we liked to have lunch somewhere were they scored a "free" meal. But it was clear from the pricing that we were more than paying for their food. Other than the price - we had a pleasant meal and I have no complaints about the quality or quantity of the food.

Reviewed 30 December 2010

Ate there last night. Overpriced, bland food. We ate here a year ago and thought it very good: nice 'authentic' family restaurant, good food and pleasant atmosphere, hence our return. I think it must have changed hands and the new owners are capitalising on its earlier excellence. The food is overpriced now and the amok we had was tasteless. And today I have diarrhoea!!!!!

1  Thank palustrian
Reviewed 26 December 2010

We spent 5 days in Siem Reap, and this dinner was by far the worst (my wife commented that this was a wasted meal). This is a tourist trap that happens to be off the beaten path (not near pub street). We had the beef Lok Lak, morning glory, and steamed catfish. Compared to Khmer Kitchen, the food here is far inferior, and as far as I can tell, not authentic. If you think Chinese food is sweet and sour pork and fried egg rolls, this place is the Cambodian equivalent for you. Pretty much all the clientele are tourists, and Tany is basically trying to cater to them/us. The prices are high - almost 2x Khemer Kitchen prices. If you try to pay with Cambodian Riels, they will try to shaft you with 5000 Riel to 1 USD exchange rate. Keep in mind that we got 3800 Riels/USD at the airport.
I agree with one of the other reviews regarding the beef lok lak. It is very tough on the teeth - it is pretty close to shoe leather. It is amazing that you can give a restaurant with food like this 5 stars. The morning glory was tough as well - pretty much all stems. The steamed catfish as ok.
The "bathroom" is a bit scary. They have urinals in the hallway - where both men and women can simply walk by on their way to the toilet. They do have a toilet in a room, but it is scary - the walls were covered with ants.

1  Thank yptb