“Incredible and romantic hotel”

Terrasse des Elephants
Ranked #182 of 365 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 21 November 2013

By far this was the one hotel we were the most excited to stay in on our trip to Vietnam/Cambodia. Close to the restaurant street and easy to find guides through the hotel or a car service or tuk tuk service off the street. The bathroom is incredible, but I would caution you that it's not exactly the room you want to share with someone that you are not in a romantic relationship with as the shower is pretty much open for viewing and in some rooms the bed focuses right on the shower/sink area. The toilet is in a separate room for privacy though. Each room is unique. The breakfast was good in the morning and the staff was great. If you want to be near the pool you'll be on the top floor. We didn't take a dip but we did go up to see it before we checked out. Lotus flowers everywhere. Taking the tuk tuk back to the airport was our last little adventure before flying home. Met and exceeded all my expectations. No where else will you see a hotel like this.

Room Tip: Best views are on the top floor. But let's be honest, you probably won't be looking at the v...

Reviewed 20 November 2013

We got a standard room and it was a unique experience.
The pictures dont lie and there was a walk in shower and a bayon water feature in the room with water lilies and lotus.
We didnt have mosquitoes but the bed has mosquito net that we didnt need to use at all. The room is tastefully decorated with angkor inspired pieces. Bed was comfotable and there is a toilet...so you still have privacy.
It was my birthday and the my staff came up with birthday cake and decorated my bed with flowers. :) they were also accomodating and packed our breakfast to bring when we left very early for our temple tour.
The hotel is smack in the centre of shopping...a two mins walk to pub street and night markets. There is a massage place opposite the hotel pru vida that offers cheap massages and the staff are very friendly and skilled.

The pool is also nice to swim in after a hot day walking the temples. We didnt have a problem with the musky smell that was reported. Burn the aroma oil and its all gone. And the smell is actually okay considering the water feature and wooden furniture.

The hotel has no lifts thou and you need to take the stairs to your room.

If youre loking for something unique...stay here! It was an enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Stay at level 3. Direct access to pool.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 November 2013

The place is nice and has great potential to be a lovely top-hotel. However, it's quite expensive compared to the local standard and yet a lot more could be wished for. I mean, if I'm paying basically the same price I'd pay for a decent place in the heart of an European city, i expect to get much higher standard in a country where everything is times cheaper!
I think the biggest problem of this place is the lack of good management. Without a strict organisation and control, there are small annoying things which pop up all the time and spoil the otherwise promising impression. For instance, the breakfast service is the slowest EVER! It takes them 10 min to bring you a cup of hot water to make yourself tea. The breakfast itself is pretty average with the Asian one being clearly the best of all choices. Baby portions of fruit, baby omelets. They claim that the yoghurt and pastry are home made which is not the case. I mean, fine if they aren't but why do you have to claim they are?! Because of the poor breakfast experience we decided to not even try the restaurant which was anyway constantly empty.
In the room, the faucet of the sink was completely broken and despite the lavish decoration one could see that the details were not well-done, e.g. the ceiling in the toilet.
The hotel has their own spa centre with (quite expensive) Khmer massage. Well, we as most tourists I suppose suspected that Khmer massage is basically the same as Thai massage (normal for neighboring countries which were cross-fertilising each other's culture and history) but we still decided to give it a try. Disappointing! The girlies from the hotel were the worst performance we had throughout the 3 weeks in Thailand and Cambodia. Weak even for a tiny woman like me and not professional. On top of that they were late so clearly a 2-hour waste of time. Rather go to Bodia which is not far from the hotel - fancy and slightly expensive place but with heavenly spa procedures! Also a good address is Lemongrass across the street from the hotel.
On the bright side: the location is good (even though the famous Night bazaars and pub street are a huge and horrible touristic scam+ good luck with sleeping if there's a concert there). Great service in the rooms (cleaning, etc). The pool and terrace around it are lovely. We stayed one additional night which we had booked a bit later than the first room. For the lack of availability we opted for a slightly smaller and cheaper room. At the end, they allowed us to stay in the same room but we paid the lower fare for the last night as per our booking. That was really professional for a respectful hotel. The other lovely thing was a welcome fruit basket the first day. Unfortunately, it wasn't repeated which I find a real pity - again, fruits are extremely cheap on the local markets and with the price guests pay for the rooms it's clear that they can afford providing the fruit basket every day! it would make such a great impression with little efforts.
The staff was kind but surprisingly bad level of English overall given that so many people have a good English around. One thing which would be outrageous if true -we're not entirely sure but we suspect that they were allowing prostitutes in the hotel. Both my boyfriend and I noticed suspicious girls sneaking out of rooms.
As i said, for this price and the ambition they obviously have, more work is needed. But great potential.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KallinaS
Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

As a couple we prefer Hotels that are close to the heart of the city to experience the culture and commercial (read shopping) aspects. We picked this hotel for the same reason - it's walking distance to the numerous Night Markets and the Pub Street in Siem Reap. We stayed here for 4 nights and overall very happy with the place - especially the management of the Hotel.
What to expect
1. This is a boutique hotel and has a water feature like the Bayon Temple In each of the rooms, with lotus flowers and leafs which I found really cool.
2. Another fun part is the open shower in the rooms. It's an interesting feature and adds to the overall 'different' experience.
3. Given the greenery around, there tends to be some humidity in the rooms. Do note that this city is around a lot of greenery and it is not uncommon to find small insects in the room. Call housekeeping if u see anything and they fix it promptly. Do carry some mosquito repellents nevertheless - you need it this city.
4. The staff is very courteous and non-intrusive.
5. The hotel restaurant serves excellent Khmer food - and customises dishes for vegetarians. At one instance my veg dish had chicken in it - but the management was very prompt and responsive to address the issue.
6. The hotel has free wifi that works well in the pool area, restaurant and rooms

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank CSWtravelling
Reviewed 19 October 2013

This would have to be the most interesting hotel we have ever stayed in. When my husband & I walked into our room (standard) we both said "wow!". The design is amazing, there is a large water feature and on one side you step up to the shower and on the other you step up to the basin, the toilet is separate.
Some people have said about the smell in other reviews, but we both really liked it, it smells like an antique shop!
Our bed was really comfortable and the room was a good size.
The swimming pool was lovely and also very clean.
We had breakfast included and it was good however the portions were small. The coffee was great - espresso, and included with the breakfast. The restaurant is really beautiful too, with lovely surroundings.
I do have to say though that this place wouldn't suit everyone as the shower is in the bedroom, I wouldn't want to have my older children sharing with us and it probably wouldn't be very comfortable for friends or elderly people, but perfect for couples.
The location of the hotel is great, a few minutes walk to pub street and the staff are lovely and very helpful.
If you want to experience something totally different then I would definitely recommend Terrasse des Elephants.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a 4 night stay at this hotel. The swimming pool is a welcome respite from the heat after a long day of sight seeing at the temples. The staff are very friendly and helpful and kind. The design and decor of the rooms is so unique. Its worth a stay just for that experience. Its something different to what you will normally experience in a hotel room. The shower experience is very interesting albeit a little stinky and we arent quite sure how the water feature gets cleaned - if it ever does, but nonetheless its really authentic and adds to the experience of Siem Riep. Whilst the room is full of character and you will receive a fresh fruit basket everyday which is a lovely touch, the toilet was expectionally dirty. It is possible that the dim light does not aid thorough cleaning...so ladies, do not look under the toilet seat....I just kind of pretended I had not seen the filth so that it wouldnt ruin the experience. Overall we had a lovely time here and would definately recommend it. The restuarant waiters were brilliant! So polite and the food was amazing!
On a completely side note, to the ladies with highlighted blonde hair, the water is very high in copper and the combination of the shower water and the swimming pool water has turned my hair green - not serious but just something to be aware of.... :-)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 October 2013

My husband & I stayed here for 3 nights. The room is large and very unique. There is zero privacy when it comes to the shower so don’t get a room here if you are shy. It was perfect for my husband & I on our honeymoon though. Although the room is large it smelt AWFUL! It was terribly musty, so much so it was hard to fall asleep. It felt like you were choking on the musty stench. The rooftop pool is clean & refreshing after a long day exploring Angkor Wat. The drinks however are very expensive. The hotel is in a PRIME location, only 2 minute walk from the night market. All in all, we enjoyed our stay.