“Quality souvenirs”

Private Tour: Siem Reap City Tour Full Day
Ranked #2 of 104 Shopping in Siem Reap
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Artisans Angkor is a Cambodian social business which was originally created to revive Khmer cultural heritage while helping young rural people finding work near their home village.Since its creation at the end of 1990s, Artisans Angkor has strived to provide professional skills to communities with limited educational opportunities and has offered good working conditions and social advantages to its employees. It has now opened 48 workshops in Siem Reap province and it provides employment to over 1100 people, including more than 800 artisans.Over the years, Artisans Angkor has become a real showcase of Khmer workmanship for its silk fabrics and garments, stone and wood carving, lacquer ware, polychrome products, silver plating and silk painting.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We went here on the he recommendation of a friend and our tour guide. The old adage, "You get what you pay for" is evident here as each item is carefully crafted by a trained local person who has spent a lot of time and patience perfecting his/her craft. The items are beautiful, and the prices reflect the quality.

Taking the tour of the workshops should help give you a good idea of how and why this place exists. (I just read some of the reviews that gave poor ratings and it seems these people just didn't pay attention and/or understand the concept.) if you are after cheap mementos, don't bother, but if you are looking for very nice souvenirs and gifts, as well as a for a way to support the local economy, then spend some time here! Give at least two hours for the tour and shopping. There is a Blue Pumpkin stall outside the shop for snacks should you need a little something while you shop. :) you can shop here without doing the tour, but if you don't have time, there is a shop at the airport just passed immigration and the prices are the same. There is also a small shop across from Angkor Wat, in next to the Blue Pumpkin (The sign outside May read "Angkor Cafe").

Write a ReviewReviews (2,567)

Reviewed 6 August 2014

The workshop tour is worth doing, especially if you haven't seen these handicrafts being produced before. I had a lovely guide who was really enthusiastic about what they were doing and we spent over 40 minutes in the workshops. Staff here are well-looked after and get thorough training in their area, be it stone carving or office skills. There's a large shop at the end of the tour. Goods are quite expensive but you know they're genuine and that the money you spend here is going back to the community and local workers.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Everyting in this shop/workshop was delightful. The workshop tour was interesting, but mainly a preview to the shop. The goods are fixed price and not cheap, but excellent quality and well made.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I fell in love with artisans Angkor based in the reviews and the website. I thought the cause was great and the products looked quite nice. Unfortunately, my experience here was terrible. When I got here I was led on a tour by a man who looked very put upon and bored. He zipped me through the workshops in about 5 mins with a monotone voice, not even bothering to ask if I had any questions, before rushing me into the gift shop. I still wanted to buy some stuff, so I picked over $200 worth of scarves. One lady helped me "pick out" one, but she kept urging me towards the scarf that was twice as expensive. In a rush, I decided to get that scarf anyway, I felt my relative would like that pattern. This experience became awful when I realized soon after purchasing that my relative would actually want that same scarf but in a different color, which I saw on the shelf. As soon as I tried to swap them, however, I was told in no uncertain terms that there was a no exchange policy. How unprofessional must you be to not put up any signs, to not verbally tell me, or to not put it on your receipt that you do not allow exchanges?! Especially when you're spending so much money here, I expect much better service and at the VERY LEAST, I expect to be informed of something as simple as an exchange policy before I purchase. Unbelievable. I will be telling all of my friends in singapore and the USA not to shop here when they visit.

4  Thank kescokatie
ArtisansAngkor, Responsable relations publiques at Artisans Angkor, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

We would like to apologize for what happened during your visit.We totally understand your discontentment and already took some measures to make sure that those situations will not happen again.

Kindly note that we do accept exchange of products. It is a usual procedure that we do on a regular basis; therefore there must have been a misunderstanding somewhere.

We would be pleased to proceed to an exchange of the scarf, in our boutiques if you are still in Cambodia, or by mail if you are already back home. Just drop us an email through our website.

Again, please accept our sincerest apologies.

Kind regards,
Artisans Angkor

Reviewed 4 August 2014

CC ( 2014.07.27 )
I and my son visited there for seeing Cambodian handicraft. There was a small factory and shop. Not big, but we could see production process about Cambodian handicraft. It was good that this factory make many job in Cambodia. In the shop, I didn't buy product, but we enjoyed window-shopping with Cambodian product. There was small than I think.

1  Thank CanisHan