“Up Up and Away, maybe”
Review of Angkor Balloon

Angkor Balloon
Reviewed 14 February 2013

The hot air balloon is on a cable. You go up for about 10 minutes. The views are amazing. It is ideal for anyone who may be a bit hesitant about being up in a balloon at all. The only drawback is that if there is any wind blowing it won't lauch, so you may be sitting around for a while waiting for the wind to die down. We waited about an hour, while our driver waited for us.

2  Thank RedMelbourne

Reviewed 9 February 2013

We rode the balloon at about 4 pm after doing the small loop at the temple complex. There was no line up but THEY ONLY TAKE CASH - US $ or bhat welcome - unusual for a major tourist site.

They seem to take safely seriously as there was some wind so we were advised that height would be restricted to 88 meters. This was fine with me as the lower level still gave good pictures with much less haze than at the advertised maximum.

Best time to go is afternoon when the sun is behind the balloon and the yellow rays show less of the blue haze. If you want a sunset ride book in advance as this is the most popular time.

I thought the price of $15 was very reasonable as we got about 10 minutes at maximum elevation and it offered a bird's eye view of the area.In reality it is much more highly rated than listed as each temple gets it's own listing as a separate entity on tripadvisor.

6  Thank FunOnly
Reviewed 3 January 2013

During our first trip to Siem Reap, some 7 years ago, we wanted to do this balloon flight (well, its not really a flight, the balloon is attached to a 200 m long cable), but impossible due to the windy conditions. Yesterday, again, too windy. And this morning also too windy. We have a view on the balloon from our hotel roof, and this afternoon, finaly, I saw the balloon in the air. It was a great experience, with magnificient views over Angkor. The conditions were not top for taking pictures, foggy, but hey, after 4 attemps, who cares about some fog. Met also 2 nice chinese girls, one was scared to dead... It is a very safe flight, with (almost) no risks at all. If you have the opportunity, do not hesitate to spend 15$ on this flight!

3  Thank William_Decoster
Reviewed 15 December 2012

The balloon service depends on the weather. I am told they had one accident a long time ago when the balloon bumped into a storm. Since then they take the weather very seriously and cancel service even if the weather is slightly unfavourable. The ride is about 10 or 12 minutes in total. Warning – They do not tell you when you reach the peak, on the other hand without warning they start descending. I felt like a fool with my camera waiting to go higher for a better shot only to realise that the moment was gone and we were headed back.
If you are a photographer, I suggest you don’t take any lens wider then 35 mm. I might even suggest a medium tele. Also there is a blue haze all over the temple during the day which is very disappointing for any photographer.
Must tell you that this is no free flying balloon. Its well tethered to the ground all the time and they just float you up to about 180 meters and bring you back. I felt very safe.

7  Thank SagarVS
Reviewed 28 November 2012

I think it's best to ride the balloon on sunset.

We rode about 5pm, but there were so many reservations for sunset ride mostly from
guests hotels. The balloon ride is owned by Sokha Hotel which is one of the most expensive
in Siem Reap.

Though it was only a short 8-10 minutes ride, for us it's worth it. Angkor is the biggest
temple in the area and the surrounding ones can be visited in a span of 30 minutes or less
except of course for the Ta Prohm (Angelina's tree) and the 2nd one i forgot.

If you have a camera with a great lens you'll get very excellent shots of it. I only had an Htc phone but was able to get good and and very scenic shots of the temple.