“Bypass.”

MEN's Resort & Spa - Gay Hotel
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Let’s go through some positives to start with.
The neighbourhood this resort is situated in is very traditionally Cambodian. It’s down several dirt-road alleys and is very authentic. For me, this was a huge plus and was a beautiful landscape to explore. This however, may not be for everyone. The food and drinks are great. Well-priced and good value. The rooms are clean. The staff are very friendly. There is always a driver available to take you into town, and if there’s not, there isn’t one too far away. The water pressure and heat of the shower is excellent. The air-conditioning is highly efficient. The tours/drivers organised through reception were all excellent and good value.
Now for some drawbacks.
The hotel itself is overpriced. It’s not worth what you’re paying, and should be around 25% less than the current rates. The rooms are somewhat tired and devoid of essential commodities. In a queen room, suitable for two adults, there is one “chair”, a pouffe. There is nowhere else to sit, besides on the bed. The walls in the room I am in, are all black. The roof is white. Half of the downlights do not work, and those that do, are ineffective. There are three lamps in the room to compensate, but one doesn’t have a power outlet so is non-functioning. The light is inefficient to read a book or to be able to locate items you’ve left in a particular part of the room. The amenities (shampoo etc) are extremely cheap. Bring your own. Bath foam is provided, no body wash, and also no bath, so I’m not sure why that is. I called reception at 7pm to order some dinner – sorry, we’re too busy, you’ll have to go down to the bar to order that yourself. I wasn’t too impressed with that. When I got in on the overnight bus from Phnom Penh, I was told a driver would pick me up. Unfortunately the bus company had moved to a new bus stop only that morning, so the driver wasn’t there. I paid a driver to take me to the hotel, and there was no mention of them refunding that cash at all – a small expense, but on principle… The reality is, this hotel is now unfortunately quite tired, and management need to pick up their game and start to invest some time and money in to making it more appealing. I do regret staying here and when I come back to Siem Reap in the future, would not give this venue any consideration at all.

Room Tip: Third floor - pool views.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank TVH3121
sopheara, General Manager at MEN's Resort & Spa - Gay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Dear Sir,

thank you for your stay at MEN's and for the time you spent to write this review. Even your review is a bit negative; it gives us the opportunity to answer.

We regret that during your 4 days with us, you never talked about any problem. Especially as the problems you are reporting now are quite minor and could have been easily fixed. When staying in a small hotel it is very easy to immediately and directly report any problem. It's a pity that your experience with us was spoiled just because the bigger problems were a missing chair, or a lamp that you have not managed to use.

In your review the positive points are what everyone wish to find in a good hotel, and we’re happy you found it at MEN’s Resort. Like as you write:
- the beautiful landscape of our neighborhood,
- the great food and drinks, well-priced and good value,
- the clean rooms,
- the very friendly staff,
- the drivers always available,
- the excellent water pressure and heat of the shower,
- the highly efficient air conditioning,
- the excellent and good value of the tours organized through the reception.

Now, regarding the negative points, most of them could have been fixed immediately and here are some answers:

- you arrived with an overnight bus, the condition to benefit our free transfer from the bus station is that you could tell us which bus and where it will arrive. But as you said, on that day the bus company moved to a new bus stop and our driver who woke up at 5am was unable to find you. We didn’t offer you the refunding of the $2 you paid to another driver, that’s true, but we offer you much more by letting you have a free early check-in at 6am instead of the normal 2pm. Obviously it was not enough for you.

- our rooms are all different: different shape, different colors. When you stayed with us, we were not fully booked, and if we have known you didn’t like the one you were staying in, we could have offer you to change to another room.

- our housekeepers check the lights every day, and after reading your review, we have checked one more time. All is working perfectly in the room you stayed. And even one bulb would have to be changed; it was easy for us to do it. If we have known you need help to use the light, we’d had no problem to show you.

- most of our guests are staying with us for some relaxing holiday and not often for working at a desk in the room. Then even for double room, we thought that one single chair was enough and less bulky. But for sure, it is the very first time that someone staying alone needs more than one chair in the room! Even if that request is a bit weird, if we have known you need that, we’d had no problem to give you that second chair.

In conclusion, you spent 30 minutes to write this review, and we also spent 30 minutes to answer, while the few problems you complain after two weeks could have been fixed immediately.Though, this is not wasted time if it can help our future guests to enjoy a better experience at MEN's Resort !

kind regards,

Sopheara You
managing director

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Admittedly, I wasn't overly enthusiastic about booking a stay here. I had initial reservations as I simply didn't know what to expect. After reading all the favorable reviews and reviewing its beautiful photo gallery, I decided to take the plunge. To be fair, at such attractive nightly rates, it would have been quite tough to pass up.

The Men's Resort and Spa is a truly beautiful oasis of calm and bliss in the heart of Siem Reap. It's just off National Highway, one of the main thoroughfares in town, tucked away in a local neighborhood as you make your way through an unpaved pathway.

Upon check-in, I was greeted cordially by the owner and the attendants at the front desk. He presented me with a fresh, cold towelette and a perfectly chilled beverage and proceeded to review highlights of the property and area with me. He also offered to assist with tours, reservations and anything else that might be of interest.

This is a boutique establishment with a room count of just about 14 on the second and 3rd floors, so you do get the benefit of having lots of personal attention. Mine happened to be on the 3rd floor with a nice pool view. I found the room to be spacious with an interesting modern, minimalist design.

Cocktails or whatever beverage of choice and light meals can be enjoyed poolside at the onsite bar/restaurant. It is here you would also enjoy your breakfast amidst the beautifully landscaped surroundings.

High praise goes to the very friendly staff. Overall, a thoroughly enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 3rd Fl. offer good pool views.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank theflyinggazelle
Reviewed 18 March 2014

unlikely i was in a normal room, already perfect but smaller obviously, but my friend had a suite : it is awsome. large, perfectly decorated with a great desk to work, clean sunny with everything you could expect from a 5 stars hotel.
just missing sockets near the bed to help you charge your handphone at a arm lenght distance of you when you are sleeping !
thanks so much for this perfect place in sieam reap

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Not knowing so much of Siem Reap I arrived to this really cosy hotel hidden behind the big road.
What a nice surprise!
Already from start where I was introduced to the hotel by the manager and his staff I felt very welcome. When I needed help for my visits to the tempels and other "must-see´s" the reception could arrange all details very fast and efficient.

The room was nice and tastefully arranged - all in concrete! I loved to use the BIG rain shower in the bathroom.
The view from my room was overlooking the small but nice pool.
The breakfast was served any time of the day which I love, and it was good enough for me with a couple of choices.

At the ground floor there is a dark steam sauna and a big jacuzzi and there where quite some people moving in that area most of the evenings.

I got a massage one of the afternoons and it was real good and performed in a private room with a good masseur.

On my next trip to Siem Reap I will stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Was not sure what to expect when the transport from the airport turned off the main road and down a dark dirt road. But, much to my liking there was the Men's resort. We were welcomed by a warm staff and owner who made sure our needs were met with exceptional service. The rooms are big, modern, and quiet. The pool and spa are perfect and far enough away from the city noise to relax and enjoy. We had planned on staying three nights then our plans changed and the staff were able to accommodate us for three more. The arranged tours and travel throughout the city and we were pleasantly surprised that the quality and value of Men's. Already planning a return trip for next summer.

Room Tip: Rooms on the third floor facing the pool are best.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TDG832
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a weekend. Very warm welcome from owner who always seemed to be available. Staff very friend without being to informal. Overall very boutique feel to the place. Thought as billed as gay hotel would be tacky was polar opposite

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank magoobie
Reviewed 20 February 2014

A very attentive staff and nice surroundings indeed. Gay resort indeed, but European in feel (most visitors were indeed from Europe) and therefore not as much common gathering as you would find in an American gay resort. But of course some prefer that (not us). Drinks not always made right, and food was OK.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple