“Excellent!”

Leicester, United Kingdom
“Excellent!”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

For my first visit to Cambodia I stayed 4 night in April 2014
From first impression to last this is just a great place to stay. relaxing / great facilities, full gym (i just watched) well maintained rooms and grounds / pool + importantly good friendly service from all the staff, they all made me feel welcome and are a credit to the hotel.
Meals are available in the hotel and are of very good quality and reasonably priced.
Only a short 10min TukTuk ride into Siem Reap center and Angkor Wat a short distance away.
I took 2 arranged tours by Tuk Tuk from a large choice available, also chose to have an English speaking guide (Kay) as I was on my own, all arranged by Pierre and his staff. This was a good decision, Kay was very knowledgeable and made my visit that much more personal and interesting (his contact details are mienguide2007@yahoo.com)
Highly recommend

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed here in March '14 to relax after a busy group trip to Vietnam & Cambodia. It's an amazing hotel, absolute top notch, excellent staff, tastefully decorated rooms, great pool & spa.
Definitely stay here if you are visiting Siem Reap & Angkor Wat!

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
London
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel seems to have everything just right. From the very chic reception area through to the chilled out pool area and good food from the bar.
The bf had a couple of massages and enjoyed them.
We've since moved to out next stop on our trip (a large hotel) and missing the more intimate experience of being at the men's resort.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We were there for (6 nights... I think) in Oct 13. Absolutely love it!

We had a suite on the top floor overlooking the pool. The room was big and cozy with a huge bathroom. If I have to say anything negative, it would be the howling of the dogs in the middle of the night. However, I take that as part of living in Cambodia... nothing to complain about. :)

The facilities in the resort is well maintained, the spa, pool, gym and the poolside restaurant is fantastic. All the staff are so friendly and humble. We literally ate all our meals by the pool...

The location is off the main road and kinda in the middle of the local's community. We absolutely love that!!

On our arrival, the owner met us at the front desk. He is such a friendly and down to earth guy. Gave us plenty of tips and even helped us arranged any rides or tours to the temples.

Although the Spa is opened to public, all the guests are very friendly and discreet. It is such a safe and friendly environment.

We are definitely coming back to siem Reap and we will be stay at MENs Resort again!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We exspected nothing special and were surprised: perfect service from picking up at the airport till friendly welcome, very clean spa and crusing area/rooms, nice food.
We have had the luck to meet a lot of nice people here.....
And at least: I got here the best massage of my life - perfect.
Location: short way to the main road, where you can get a taxi or tuctuc.
Pierre - we thank you and your stuff for the nice time.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Tianjin, China
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Let’s go through some positives to start with.
The neighbourhood this resort is situated in is very traditionally Cambodian. It’s down several dirt-road alleys and is very authentic. For me, this was a huge plus and was a beautiful landscape to explore. This however, may not be for everyone. The food and drinks are great. Well-priced and good value. The rooms are clean. The staff are very friendly. There is always a driver available to take you into town, and if there’s not, there isn’t one too far away. The water pressure and heat of the shower is excellent. The air-conditioning is highly efficient. The tours/drivers organised through reception were all excellent and good value.
Now for some drawbacks.
The hotel itself is overpriced. It’s not worth what you’re paying, and should be around 25% less than the current rates. The rooms are somewhat tired and devoid of essential commodities. In a queen room, suitable for two adults, there is one “chair”, a pouffe. There is nowhere else to sit, besides on the bed. The walls in the room I am in, are all black. The roof is white. Half of the downlights do not work, and those that do, are ineffective. There are three lamps in the room to compensate, but one doesn’t have a power outlet so is non-functioning. The light is inefficient to read a book or to be able to locate items you’ve left in a particular part of the room. The amenities (shampoo etc) are extremely cheap. Bring your own. Bath foam is provided, no body wash, and also no bath, so I’m not sure why that is. I called reception at 7pm to order some dinner – sorry, we’re too busy, you’ll have to go down to the bar to order that yourself. I wasn’t too impressed with that. When I got in on the overnight bus from Phnom Penh, I was told a driver would pick me up. Unfortunately the bus company had moved to a new bus stop only that morning, so the driver wasn’t there. I paid a driver to take me to the hotel, and there was no mention of them refunding that cash at all – a small expense, but on principle… The reality is, this hotel is now unfortunately quite tired, and management need to pick up their game and start to invest some time and money in to making it more appealing. I do regret staying here and when I come back to Siem Reap in the future, would not give this venue any consideration at all.

Room Tip: Third floor - pool views.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank TVH3121
sopheara, General Manager at MEN's Resort & Spa - Gay Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Dear Sir,

thank you for your stay at MEN's and for the time you spent to write this review. Even your review is a bit negative; it gives us the opportunity to answer.

We regret that during your 4 days with us, you never talked about any problem. Especially as the problems you are reporting now are quite minor and could have been easily fixed. When staying in a small hotel it is very easy to immediately and directly report any problem. It's a pity that your experience with us was spoiled just because the bigger problems were a missing chair, or a lamp that you have not managed to use.

In your review the positive points are what everyone wish to find in a good hotel, and we’re happy you found it at MEN’s Resort. Like as you write:
- the beautiful landscape of our neighborhood,
- the great food and drinks, well-priced and good value,
- the clean rooms,
- the very friendly staff,
- the drivers always available,
- the excellent water pressure and heat of the shower,
- the highly efficient air conditioning,
- the excellent and good value of the tours organized through the reception.

Now, regarding the negative points, most of them could have been fixed immediately and here are some answers:

- you arrived with an overnight bus, the condition to benefit our free transfer from the bus station is that you could tell us which bus and where it will arrive. But as you said, on that day the bus company moved to a new bus stop and our driver who woke up at 5am was unable to find you. We didn’t offer you the refunding of the $2 you paid to another driver, that’s true, but we offer you much more by letting you have a free early check-in at 6am instead of the normal 2pm. Obviously it was not enough for you.

- our rooms are all different: different shape, different colors. When you stayed with us, we were not fully booked, and if we have known you didn’t like the one you were staying in, we could have offer you to change to another room.

- our housekeepers check the lights every day, and after reading your review, we have checked one more time. All is working perfectly in the room you stayed. And even one bulb would have to be changed; it was easy for us to do it. If we have known you need help to use the light, we’d had no problem to show you.

- most of our guests are staying with us for some relaxing holiday and not often for working at a desk in the room. Then even for double room, we thought that one single chair was enough and less bulky. But for sure, it is the very first time that someone staying alone needs more than one chair in the room! Even if that request is a bit weird, if we have known you need that, we’d had no problem to give you that second chair.

In conclusion, you spent 30 minutes to write this review, and we also spent 30 minutes to answer, while the few problems you complain after two weeks could have been fixed immediately.Though, this is not wasted time if it can help our future guests to enjoy a better experience at MEN's Resort !

kind regards,

Sopheara You
managing director
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Admittedly, I wasn't overly enthusiastic about booking a stay here. I had initial reservations as I simply didn't know what to expect. After reading all the favorable reviews and reviewing its beautiful photo gallery, I decided to take the plunge. To be fair, at such attractive nightly rates, it would have been quite tough to pass up.

The Men's Resort and Spa is a truly beautiful oasis of calm and bliss in the heart of Siem Reap. It's just off National Highway, one of the main thoroughfares in town, tucked away in a local neighborhood as you make your way through an unpaved pathway.

Upon check-in, I was greeted cordially by the owner and the attendants at the front desk. He presented me with a fresh, cold towelette and a perfectly chilled beverage and proceeded to review highlights of the property and area with me. He also offered to assist with tours, reservations and anything else that might be of interest.

This is a boutique establishment with a room count of just about 14 on the second and 3rd floors, so you do get the benefit of having lots of personal attention. Mine happened to be on the 3rd floor with a nice pool view. I found the room to be spacious with an interesting modern, minimalist design.

Cocktails or whatever beverage of choice and light meals can be enjoyed poolside at the onsite bar/restaurant. It is here you would also enjoy your breakfast amidst the beautifully landscaped surroundings.

High praise goes to the very friendly staff. Overall, a thoroughly enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 3rd Fl. offer good pool views.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo