“Lives up to the hype”
Review of Angkor Pearl Hotel

Angkor Pearl Hotel
Ranked #92 of 361 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 10 February 2011

I'd give a list of pros & cons but I didn't experience any cons in the hotel. It's location is just a 10 minute walk to downtown Siem Reap, it's very pretty inside, clean, the service seemed excellent, and it cost $20. They also let us check in at 8:30am!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 February 2011

This was all I expected when visiting Cambodia! I love the way they (hotel staffs) welcomed the tourists with fruit juices! Located at the centre of Siem Reap, the hotel is near from market, big restaurants and Pub Street.

I’ve stayed here for 4 days and during that time I’ve enjoyed many good services from the hotel. Besides traditional Cambodian dishes, you can also had a typical American breakfast here! One thing I’ve impressed the most was tuk tuk. It was an amazing way to explore the city by tuk tuk. Tuk tuk drivers from the Hotel were also friendly and knowledgeable. It seemed that you don’t need to have a tour guide.

The only problem was internet. I’ve taken lot’s of photos but could not put up to my blog due to slow internet connection. But that wasn’t a big problem. Friendly and well-trained staffs and of course, cheap price made this a good hotel. I’ll suggest this to my friends!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 February 2011

All these wonderful reviews left us high and dry. My husband and I went to Siem Reap for a 4-day trip over the Christmas weekend. I initially booked the Standard Double Room ($20) online through Bookings.com. We decided to upgrade to their Suite as we wanted this to be a relaxing holiday and the room was still affordably priced at $50 per night. Due to some problem with the website, we decided to contact the hotel directly and confirmed with Peter at the same rate. To my surprise, in his email confirmation (which came a week and 2 more phone calls later), the rate was inflated to $60! We decided to go with it since there were no other decent hotels available at that hour. $40 over 4 days didn't matter much, but it was the attitude of the hotel that left a bad taste.

Anyway, we were picked up at the airport in the hotel's tuktuk and it was a nice, breezy ride back. However, before we could check in, the driver started negotiating with us to book him for the rest of our trip as our personal driver and guide. He barely spoke any English so there was no chance of us using him as atleast the guide!

Check in was smooth but the staff at the desk had no clue about guides, rates, shopping, restaurants.. Anything! There was no sign of the much-talked-about Peter. We asked on several occasional, but were told he was not in.

Our $60 room turned out to be on the 4th level, with no elevators! It wasn't that big a deal but would've been nicer if they'd let us know in advance. Climbing 4 floors 2-3 times a day is not the easiest thing to do, especially once you've walked for 6 hours in the heat at the temples. There are no in-room phones so God forbid, if you need to ask the front desk any questions!

They would turn off the air conditioning after housekeeping so the room would be blazing hot in the day and took almost 30 mins to get comfortably cool. Not a good combination if you've just climbed 4 floors!

The room was large and had a living area and balcony. The bed was large and comfortable but there were no bedside tables so we ended up keeping our phones/alarm clocks, water bottle, etc on the floor. The bathroom was also decently big and clean with a tub and shower. The towels, however, were old and tattered. The tv in the room had a very large selection of channels, so that was good. Wi-fi in the room was painfully slow, but it helps to speed things up if you stand just outside the door..

Breakfast was good but not much choice. It's fine if you're staying for 2-3 days. Again, no air conditioning in the restaurant, but it's usually ok if you eat early.

We used the hotel's recommended in-room massage. Even though the massage was decent, the two girl-masseurs couldn't stop yakking with each other, texting and answering calls on their mobile phones. It was hard to relax with so much going on! The massage is done on the bed, which is pretty soft, so you're mostly bouncing up and down and later sleep on the same oil-stained sheets! Remember, to ask for a change of sheets means going down and climbing up4 floors. Also, just before the massage got over, the girls stared asking how much we would tip them. We did tip them $10 for a $25 massage but decided on getting the rest of the massages outside the hotel. I recommend Dr Feet.. excellent service and it's open till almost midnight!

We tried asking the front desk for a good English-speaking guide but the guy behind the counter could only get someone who spoke very little English and was not a registered guide. We searched for a recommended guide on the Trip Advisor forums and thankfully, he was available to take us on for a day. This salvaged our trip as he was knowledgeable and polite, spoke excellent English and ended up recommending restaurants and places to shop.

Seeing all the good reviews, I'm sure the hotel is probably a better place to stay when Peter is around, but it'd be nicer if he ensures things run smoothly even in his absence. It would've also helped if the mousey guy at the reception was better informed or had area guides, maps, etc instead of saying "I'm not sure..." for everything. We ended up checking out a day sooner, severely disappointed.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank TanMat
Reviewed 8 February 2011

$30 US / night for a spacious room is a great value. Restaurant very basic but I liked their omelette. Location is good, 10min walk to the Pub Street, the most happening area. Staff are nice n sweet yet not good in organizing transport. I had arranged an Airport pickup but the pick up was not there, also I had arranged an Airport drop off, the car was not ready on the actual morning. Never trust their arrangement!
Hotel staff are not strong enough to control the hotel guests that we were woken up at before 6am by some guests shouting at each other very loudly around the reception area.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 February 2011

We were met at the airport by friendly Boon with his frilly white satin tuk tuk. He drove by many huge classless hotels and thankfully he took us to the Angkor Pearl. And a jewel it is. We were welcomed by the very helpful and informative manager. The suites are huge, gorgeous, a super deal, with everything you could possible need like robes & slippers.

We arranged for Boon to drive us to and around Angkor Thom and he was careful, friendly and informed. Tin took us for the next two days. We learned so much from him since he knows the history of the area. He too was wonderful. The only way to go.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 February 2011

89 reviewers can't be wrong I thought, when I booked on spec via the multitude of advice on TripAdvisor. And they weren't. Brilliant place. The only problem is possibly its location in that is is not outrageously convenient, however it is an interesting 10 minute walk to downtown Siem Reap and a 2 minute moto to everywhere. The pre-arrival email communications were prompt and helpful and confidence-inducing while from arrival onwards I had a sensational couple of nights. My suite was big and wooden with a pretty large bathroom, a thousand pillows on a big comfy bed, a big flatscreen with plenty of channels, air-con, fans, tea and coffee and fruit, a couch ensemble. For $25! The best value I have slept anywhere. Ever.

The breakfast is fine, but the reception service is consistently excellent, helpful and willing. Great english and terrific advice - and the massage service they work with does 1 and 1/2 hours full body and oil massage in your hotel room for $12. Yep.

Go to Hotel Raffles of an evening for some tropical, post-colonial cocktails and everything will be right with the world.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 February 2011

My brother and I stayed at Angkor Pearl for three nights. Rates you can't beat! The rooms were clean and comfortable. Customer service was excellent. There's free wifi which was a plus! We hired a tuk tuk driver, Boon, for two days, one full day and half the day which I would recommend if you decide to go temple hopping , go shopping or simply just go around town to have coffee, a glass a wine, whatever you please to do. Give him a time when you'd like to be picked up and on the dot he was there. Breakfast was great as well, American and Khmer dishes served. We also had laundry done which was a weeks worth of clothes and only cost $4.75, which included mine and my brother's clothes! I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: December 2010