“The leafy garden is a bonus”
Review of Alliance Villa

Alliance Villa
Ranked #158 of 486 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“The leafy garden is a bonus”
Reviewed 21 January 2013

I looked at many places before settling on Alliance Villa (not to be confused with Alliance Boutique Villa) a bungalow down a pothole dirt track in one of the neighbourhoods. It had all that I was looking for - an air-con room with ensuite bathroom, breakfast included, an in-room safe deposit, locally managed/owned with a garden to chill out in and reasonably priced - I got a promo rate of USD15/night for a 6-night stay.

My stay was perfect, only marred by the water problem on the first 3 days which almost spoilt my holiday.

I stayed on the first floor in Room 105, because a TA reviewer said the ground floor room was next to the reception, so it's not very quiet.

The first night, the water was but a medium trickle barely enough for a shower. I thought it was because of the low pressure. The next afternoon, the water output became worse - the taps ran dry after 3 minutes. This needed looking into. The staff checked and said they would repair the problem. At night, the water came back on but only for 5 mins, then it trickled. I seriously thought there was a water ration going on, but the staff couldn't confirm or deny it.

Day 3 morning and there wasn't enough water to brush teeth! Another guest on my floor was also facing the same problem. By now, I had e-mailed the management asking for a quick solution - or give me a room with water. I didn't get a reply, but the villa staff helped me move to the ground floor room 102 in the afternoon after a guest checked out. Except for the mustiness, the room was fairly quiet. It is opposite the reception counter - but it isn't noisy because of guests checking in and out, it's noisy because of the television (the staff watches it most times) but with the air-con on in the room, you can barely hear the TV. More importantly, there was running water!

The reason why I didn't change hotels was because of the villa's garden. I couldn't find many affordable places with a garden to chill out in, so was glad that Room 102 was available. The management did eventually reply, but only after 3 days, on the day I was checking out. He was very apologetic, and traced the problem to the new water pump, which wasn't working very effectively. Would have been good to know that straight away. Also, another thing the staff won't tell you is that every night, at 8pm, without fail the electricity (and lights) goes off for about 5 minutes before starting back up again. By the second night, I was prepared with a torch in hand.

As other reviewers have commented, the hotel is about 15 - 20 mins walk to pub street, but I liked it because it was in a quiet neighbourhood, and every time I walked through the gates of the bungalow's front yard, it was like coming home.

There is a short cut to the Old Market, but it is down a dark-ish alley - a torch is very handy - but although there were a few stray dogs, they didn't bother me. En route to the market, there is a non air-con restaurant on the right which serves very cheap and tasty food and juices. A TA reviewer said they had to take a tuk-tuk to the Old Market because of this dark alley; you can actually walk on the main road to get to the Old Market, just that it is more dusty and will take you slightly longer to get there.

Room Tip: Room 102 has great water pressure!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank assamkl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Korean first
Essex, UK
Reviewed 30 December 2012

Stayed here for only one night. They sent a free tuk tuk to collect us from the Battambang to SR boat, which was a real bonus.

The room was huge and very clean - probably the best I have experienced so far in Cambodia. The hotel is down a little track, so in a fairly quiet spot (apart from the construction site across the road) and only a few minutes walk into the centre.

No pool that I was aware of.

A small point but something I really struggled with is the dark and dingy reception area and stair case, where the treads are far apart and need some good light. A small change to improve their lighting would really help this place.

Breakfast was ok - bit slow.

So, all in all I would recommend this hotel, but I think we we're rather spoiled already by having spent a few days at Bunwin's which beats this hands down (but is also more expensive).

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 13 November 2012

My rating is based on a value-for-money assessment of their Deluxe Double Room with Balcony.

I booked this particular room, enticed by the seemingly cheap price of around $US35 per night. In reality, Siem Reap has some very inexpensive accommodation, and $US35/night can go quite some way in the town. My room-rate simply wasn't great value for what I received; most people I met were staggered that I was paying $35 a night for a guesthouse that is a bit out of the centre! The Superior Rooms are the way to go, and provide better value-for-money in my opinion.

My few days at the Alliance Villa were okay; their rooms are spacious, pretty clean, and the staff are genuinely warm people. The bathrooms are a bit tired though. And the location is a bit away from Pub Street (if that's your thing), definitely walkable, but you're looking at about 15 minutes. Or just get a moto-taxi, of which there is no shortage in Siem Reap. If I visit Siem Reap again, I will look to stay closer to the riverside, but that's just a personal preference.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 19 September 2012

As in other cases, i picked them by hasard, booked them per email one hour before arrival and they answered immediately confirming the room and the pick up at the bus station! It turned out to be a very nice and sweet surprise. The Villa is a bit hidden, next to main street but away from traffic. The lobby and the beautiful wooden stairs in the back are like a heart welcome!

The staff is very gentle and helpful. The rooms are spot clean and the breakfast is served in front of the garden. I liked it so much (as well as Angkor wonderful discovery) that last minute I decided to stay two more days. I wish I could find words to express how the place touched me. There is a "special charm" in this place. It is a combination of kindness, discrete and calm ambiance.
Wish them all the best to continue.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Sultanetta
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Myself and my 3 other travelling companions were initially booked in for two night in the Alliance Villa and ended up staying for four. We cannot recommend the place enough. It employs people from difficult backgrounds and gives them an opportunity to work. Even before we realised this we were already in love with the place and it's staff. It is located right in the centre but far enough away that there are no noise disturbances. Breakfast is brilliant and options are great!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank dughaz
Mandaluyong City, Philippines
Reviewed 20 April 2012

We've been here just last April 14-16, 2012 and the manager (Mr. Kimshay) who basically managed everything from being the Tuk2x driver, tour, cook, etc. was so helpful and nice! The deluxe room was HUGE, beautiful and quite luxurious. We got the USD100 package w/c was a 3D/2N accommodation w/ breakfast, Apsara buffet show, massage, welcome drinks, Angkor Wat day tour (not including entrance ticket price), etc. It was the best deal you can avail. The guesthouse garden was lush and the place was located in a quiet, safe and peaceful area but only 5 mins away (walk) from Night Market & Pub Street (2-3 short blocks away). We truly had the best experience in Siem Reap and one of those was definitely staying at Alliance Villa. For breakfast, I recommend trying the local noodle soup instead of the American/Western option. Complimentary 2 bottles of water were replenished daily and we even had complimentary 2-liter bottles of water during the Angkor Wat tour. I only have high praises for this villa. We highly recommend it to everyone! We would love to come back to Siem Reap and stay at Alliance Villa.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anna M
Fargo, North Dakota, United States
Reviewed 19 February 2012

We chose Alliance Villa (not to be confused with Alliance Boutique Villa) for our 3-day stay in Siem Reap because we had read good reviews of it on the internet. Fortunately for us, those reviews were right on target, and we had a very enjoyable stay at Alliance Villa. It is located near the end of a very narrow back lane (very dark, but safe at night), but is just a few minutes walk from the Night Market and the center of the city’s night life. This small hotel has only about seven rooms, so it is not a busy place and we were given close attention. Our superior room was clean, spacious, and had a wonderful large balcony overlooking tropical trees and ornamentals. Free wifi was available in the room. Complimentary breakfasts were pleasant with fruit, eggs or omelets, and toast. One word of warning, though, coming from experience. Because of a time mixup, we were not met at the airport by the staff as scheduled, so we took a taxi to Alliance Villa (taxi driver first took us to Alliance Boutique Villa by mistake), got settled, and then hired the taxi driver for a half-day tour of Siem Reap. Around 5:30 p.m., at our request, he dropped us off at a shopping market in the city center and told us that any tuk tuk driver would be able to take us back to the Alliance Villa. Wrong!! We finally found a tuk tuk who would take us there, but in fact, he had no idea where it was, in spite of the fact that we had a business card from the hotel with the address and small map on it. The tuk tuk driver drove us up and down every dark street and bumpy alley in that part of the city for more than an hour. I was getting pretty worried because I had no idea where the hotel was, as I had not yet become familiar with the city. Finally, he found another tuk tuk driver who knew where the place was, and we got back safely. I had imagined myself trying to find a police station and explaining to the Cambodian police that I needed to find this hotel. Sooooo…the moral to the story is to be sure to become familiar with the location of this hotel in broad daylight (because it is well-hidden) before you venture out, so that you can direct a tuk tuk or taxi driver back to the Alliance Villa after an evening of shopping and dining. This is a charming little hotel that we highly recommend to those tourists who are not interested in 5-star hotels and spas, but rather in a family-style small hotel where the staff gets to know you well and looks after your needs. It was the best bargain of our 3-week trip to Cambodia and Thailand. We hired a guide for two days of sightseeing in the area. We visited 5 temples and Kompong Phluk fishing village (don't miss it!). Our guide was Mr. Sun Same (sunsame99@gmail.com) who we can highly recommend. AC car, driver, and guide for two days was extremely reasonable.

Room Tip: Ask for a superior room with a balcony
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple