“A quiet, adorable oasis from the heat and bustle of Siem Reap with a lovely staff.”
Review of Alliance Villa

Alliance Villa
Ranked #162 of 496 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
New York, NY
Reviewed 27 March 2013 via mobile

Great boutique hotel in in the old town. Close to the action by foot but far enough away to have some down time. Small pool in cafe area is a life savor after hours in 100 degree heat touring Angkor. Very good breakfast included and though we didn't eat dinner here restaurant is supposed to be quite good with occasional local dancing and/or puppet shows. For about $100 per night for 2 it is certainly a good value. Highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2013
4 Thank Elizabeth W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Korean first
Saigon
Reviewed 12 February 2013

I usually sleep in more starred hotels, so I ended up here just because it's the peak of the high season. I must say that the place is beyond my expectations. Wide rooms, clean, fridge and TV, so far so good. I hope the owner reads some friendly remarks:
1. room and bathroom are too dark, just replace the bulbs
2. breakfast is not appealing, add 1 $ to your prices and improve it

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BlitzSaigon
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2013

I looked at many places before settling on Alliance Villa (not to be confused with Alliance Boutique Villa) a bungalow down a pothole dirt track in one of the neighbourhoods. It had all that I was looking for - an air-con room with ensuite bathroom, breakfast included, an in-room safe deposit, locally managed/owned with a garden to chill out in and reasonably priced - I got a promo rate of USD15/night for a 6-night stay.

My stay was perfect, only marred by the water problem on the first 3 days which almost spoilt my holiday.

I stayed on the first floor in Room 105, because a TA reviewer said the ground floor room was next to the reception, so it's not very quiet.

The first night, the water was but a medium trickle barely enough for a shower. I thought it was because of the low pressure. The next afternoon, the water output became worse - the taps ran dry after 3 minutes. This needed looking into. The staff checked and said they would repair the problem. At night, the water came back on but only for 5 mins, then it trickled. I seriously thought there was a water ration going on, but the staff couldn't confirm or deny it.

Day 3 morning and there wasn't enough water to brush teeth! Another guest on my floor was also facing the same problem. By now, I had e-mailed the management asking for a quick solution - or give me a room with water. I didn't get a reply, but the villa staff helped me move to the ground floor room 102 in the afternoon after a guest checked out. Except for the mustiness, the room was fairly quiet. It is opposite the reception counter - but it isn't noisy because of guests checking in and out, it's noisy because of the television (the staff watches it most times) but with the air-con on in the room, you can barely hear the TV. More importantly, there was running water!

The reason why I didn't change hotels was because of the villa's garden. I couldn't find many affordable places with a garden to chill out in, so was glad that Room 102 was available. The management did eventually reply, but only after 3 days, on the day I was checking out. He was very apologetic, and traced the problem to the new water pump, which wasn't working very effectively. Would have been good to know that straight away. Also, another thing the staff won't tell you is that every night, at 8pm, without fail the electricity (and lights) goes off for about 5 minutes before starting back up again. By the second night, I was prepared with a torch in hand.

As other reviewers have commented, the hotel is about 15 - 20 mins walk to pub street, but I liked it because it was in a quiet neighbourhood, and every time I walked through the gates of the bungalow's front yard, it was like coming home.

There is a short cut to the Old Market, but it is down a dark-ish alley - a torch is very handy - but although there were a few stray dogs, they didn't bother me. En route to the market, there is a non air-con restaurant on the right which serves very cheap and tasty food and juices. A TA reviewer said they had to take a tuk-tuk to the Old Market because of this dark alley; you can actually walk on the main road to get to the Old Market, just that it is more dusty and will take you slightly longer to get there.

Room Tip: Room 102 has great water pressure!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank assamkl
Essex, UK
Reviewed 30 December 2012

Stayed here for only one night. They sent a free tuk tuk to collect us from the Battambang to SR boat, which was a real bonus.

The room was huge and very clean - probably the best I have experienced so far in Cambodia. The hotel is down a little track, so in a fairly quiet spot (apart from the construction site across the road) and only a few minutes walk into the centre.

No pool that I was aware of.

A small point but something I really struggled with is the dark and dingy reception area and stair case, where the treads are far apart and need some good light. A small change to improve their lighting would really help this place.

Breakfast was ok - bit slow.

So, all in all I would recommend this hotel, but I think we we're rather spoiled already by having spent a few days at Bunwin's which beats this hands down (but is also more expensive).

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 13 November 2012

My rating is based on a value-for-money assessment of their Deluxe Double Room with Balcony.

I booked this particular room, enticed by the seemingly cheap price of around $US35 per night. In reality, Siem Reap has some very inexpensive accommodation, and $US35/night can go quite some way in the town. My room-rate simply wasn't great value for what I received; most people I met were staggered that I was paying $35 a night for a guesthouse that is a bit out of the centre! The Superior Rooms are the way to go, and provide better value-for-money in my opinion.

My few days at the Alliance Villa were okay; their rooms are spacious, pretty clean, and the staff are genuinely warm people. The bathrooms are a bit tired though. And the location is a bit away from Pub Street (if that's your thing), definitely walkable, but you're looking at about 15 minutes. Or just get a moto-taxi, of which there is no shortage in Siem Reap. If I visit Siem Reap again, I will look to stay closer to the riverside, but that's just a personal preference.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 19 September 2012

As in other cases, i picked them by hasard, booked them per email one hour before arrival and they answered immediately confirming the room and the pick up at the bus station! It turned out to be a very nice and sweet surprise. The Villa is a bit hidden, next to main street but away from traffic. The lobby and the beautiful wooden stairs in the back are like a heart welcome!

The staff is very gentle and helpful. The rooms are spot clean and the breakfast is served in front of the garden. I liked it so much (as well as Angkor wonderful discovery) that last minute I decided to stay two more days. I wish I could find words to express how the place touched me. There is a "special charm" in this place. It is a combination of kindness, discrete and calm ambiance.
Wish them all the best to continue.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Sultanetta
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Myself and my 3 other travelling companions were initially booked in for two night in the Alliance Villa and ended up staying for four. We cannot recommend the place enough. It employs people from difficult backgrounds and gives them an opportunity to work. Even before we realised this we were already in love with the place and it's staff. It is located right in the centre but far enough away that there are no noise disturbances. Breakfast is brilliant and options are great!

• Stayed August 2012