“quite horrible place to stay”

Green Banana Guesthouse
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Siem Reap
Green Banana Guesthouse
Ranked #424 of 529 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 January 2013

We arrived to Siem Reap late in the night, didnt do any reservation of accommodation beforehands therefore we took the first offer from local guide which was the Green Banana Guesthouse - which was obviously a mistake.

We paid 15 dollars for a double room with AC and bathroom (and non-functioning TV). The room was quite horrible including mould, ugly smelling bedsheets and thin towels (also smelly) plus one additional centipede crawling around the room.

The staff was quite friendly, but offered us the worst possible exchange rate when we wanted to change dollars (luckily there were many other possibilities to change money in the neighbourhood) and also too expensive offer of a tuk-tuk driver for the 3 days visit of Angkor area (better price was from tuk-tuk drivers on the street).

The guesthouse has a restaurant too, but not a very good one.

Ah yeah - in the leaflet the guesthouse is promising a pool. Yes, there was a pool located near the restaurant, but you can swim there only if you like mould, dark green dirty water and fish swimming with you! I think nobody swam in that pool for a half of century.

In general, the leaflet of the guesthouse with the nice pictures looked very much different from the reality of this guesthouse!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 January 2013

We went four People from Koh Chang in Thailand ( same trip available from Bangkok ).

Before changing busses at the border to Cambodia they handed us the brochure of the green banana and we booked a room.

Then we arrived in Siem riep and there was tuk tuks to get us there. Here we meet some Who called himself MR LUCKY and he totally ript us off by charging ten times as much for a tour wich actually only was a tuk tuk ride around Angkor wat.
He introduced himself as staff of the hotel and seemed to be a good friend to the rest of the staff but later when we wanted to get a hold off him too cancel and wanted to borrow a phone they said it was impossible and refused to help us find him.
NO POOL NO WIFI

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ecgpeggy
Reviewed 4 January 2013

Stayed here for two nights toilet shower room were rotten no loo seat mould on the walls v v. Stinky ,bed and room had seen better days , no wifi that I noticed , loud music courteously of my neighbour lost me a nights sleep not the guesthouse fault , had a guy at a border cafe try n hound me into paying 800 baht for a room here but declined even though he was insistent , of course he was when I paid 6 dollars a night to stay here , there's 2 computers in the bar here ,staff were ok I wasn't a dope leaving my valuables in the room so had nothing robbed room wasn't cleaned when I was there , got dropped here by a driver from bus station it's a crash pad and a bit of a hole but serves a purpose ! Ps book your coach tickets at the top of the road in the travel agents on the corner it's 4or5 dollars cheaper than doing it here , dancing frog does good beer n food with a friendly Indian guy who runs it just across the road !!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Limeri
Reviewed 23 December 2012

A nice guesthouse located a 15 minute walk from ‘Pub Street’. Rooms spread out around the surrounding roads, a short walk for breakfast every morning. Banana hires out bikes which in my opinion are the best way to discover the Angkor Temples. Swimming pool is situated near to reception in the breakfast area, perfect for a dip after a hot day cycling road the magical temples. Patchy wi-fi (norm in Cambodia) but bar staff will give you a cable to plug into your laptop!

Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 November 2012

I can confirm everything that is said here. my room had everywhere fungi and I could only sleep 1 night there, after that I had to move out because else I would get sick! It was so extrem that I couldnt sleep at night. the next thing is that there is no pool only a really dirty pond and the price vary so much (1000 thaibat to 150 thaibat) for the same room! Dont go there, they skam you!

Room Tip: good hotel: VIVA Hotel at the old market!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Julia K
Reviewed 18 November 2012 via mobile

Scan warning! Ny partner and I travled from thailand to cambodia through the train. We arrived in canbodia CONVINCED that we had read about allllll the scams out there---ready to fend them off--we were wrong, very wrong. We arrived at the tourist bus station near siem reap where we piled into a taxi so they can take you close to siem reap. an hour later, they put you in these tuk tuks while you are disoriented and rushed. They talk to the tuk tuk driver. We said we wanted to go to the golden temple (although we had no reservations). So the tuk tuk driver says SURE!!! So they take usto this little inn. Its run down and has tons of tuk tuk drivers hanging around 24/7. He runs in before we get to the front desk and says something. Mind you, this place has NO SIGN. We come in, the guy at the desk says "welcome to the golden temple"! Were sitting there thinking---this is a pretty nasty place compared to what we were recommended by some other people. So they give us a room for about $7 a night--can complain about that. Next morning as were sitting, eatig a decent little egg at their "restaurant". My partner says---"wow...they really pulled it off. Weve been scammed." Turns our he saw a small poster saying green banana. The tul tuk guy had run inside to let them know the name of were we expected to go! Genius!!! We were completely fooled. So that was a scam of the decade. Beware! I mean its incredibly cheap, but its dinky and gross.
Good luck travelers!

• Stayed: December 2011
3  Thank sarango2
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Like everyone else we to were sucked in by the glossy brochure the travel agent in Bangkok gave us.
The main reason we chose to stay here was the fact that there was a pool and we were travelling with our four year old son...well the pool was a pond really..and half empty and green!
When we asked about the pool ,they said it was under construction.
The hotel was very dark and so was our room, as well as pretty filthy, and the bathroom very smelly!
We did not even stay for the free night that was included in our travel package, we just could not wait to get out of there !

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family