“Pleasant for 1 night” 3 of 5 bubbles

Advisor Angkor Villa
Ranked #109 of 248 Speciality Lodging in Siem Reap
“Pleasant for 1 night”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night. It was really hard for the tuk tuk driver to find & he asked several people who hadn't heard of it either. Eventually we got there so maybe show it on a map to your driver. Room was good, bright & airy. Door was a little loose. If you pushed hard enough you would get it open without key. We were only there for one night to get our us so weren't too bothered. Breakfast was an added bonus! Staff were nice also. A little bit far away from pub street but that's not a bad thing either!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Warszawa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

I wanted a cheap place in Siem Reap for our stay and I found Advisor Angkor Villa. The quality corresponds with the price, hence my rating.
What I liked:
- airport pick up included in the price. The driver was a bit late, but so were we as we were getting a local SIM at the airport.
- arrangements - we only took advantage of having taxi (tuk tuk) ordered, but the price was good (it would take us a while to get that price by bargaining with folks in the street)
- there was hot water and it worked well
- we got some good tips on what to see from the staff
- one more person was to come with us, but he got sick last moment and did not come, so we only took one room instead of two that we booked. We were not charged for the "no show" (thank you and sorry!).

What I did not like:
- the room we got (33) was on the ground level, with window overlooking reception backdoor. It was noisy because of that and in general because of building acoustics (sometimes it sounded and shook as if it was about to collapse :).
- WiFi was non-existant unless used in the middle of the day (when everybody is out, exploring) or in the middle of the night, when everybody is sleeping after exploring. Download was cca 1 MB, upload o,1 MB.

Neutral:
- breakfast was apparently poor (my wife's evaluation), so we went out to MotherHome Inn, which is located literally 2 steps away - this was a buffet breakfast with good food for 4 USD/ person
- not every tuk tuk driver knew the place when we tried explaining, but all of them were able to take us there once we showed guesthouse's business card, so grab one at reception to make it back without issues.

In spite of some positives, the noise was too disturbing for us to consider this place for another stay in Siem Reap.

Room Tip: Rooms upstairs may be more quiet. Avoid groundfloor rooms on the left.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ayu M
kuala lumpur
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

I booked the Villa through the internet for 4 days 3 nights (29 Dec 2014 until 1 Jan 2013) and I was being told that upon arrival there will be somebody to pick me and my husband at the airport. We waited for about one and half hours and at last we took the taxi and paid USD7. I really feel being cheated. Apart from that, the water at the villa is really terrible and I think it has got something to do with the piping. Everytime when i brushed my teeth, I feel like vomiting.

I wanted to see Mr. Adan but he was never around to look into the guest's complaint. The cups at the coffee table were quite dirty and wifi was bad.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jamie1957

Travellers are raving about these Siem Reap hotels

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

Overall i was happy with my stay, the staffs were friendly. However the i paid extra for the air conditioned room, only to find that the air conditioners don't work. The wifi connections are really really slow. Just these two things i hope they'll improve. Other than that i have no complaints and was relatively comfortable.

Room Tip: As the air conditioners don't really work, just get the normal fan room. Try to get the higher f...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Belveen
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

My friend and I stayed in Advisor for 3 nights over the Christmas holiday period and were so impressed with the quality of service and the overall trip experience. The Hostel had the basic amenities: comfy clean beds (changed each day), hot water, FREE wifi and free brekkie..... for 200baht per night. An absolute bargain!! We were 15 minutes walking distance to Pub Street and had shops and supermarkets on our doorstep. Breakfast was simple fried eggs on toast with tea/coffee, but it was delicious. The staff were friendly and helpful and kindly arranged a bus back to Bangkok for only 320baht each. With a security box at reception and free pickup from the bus station, I couldn't recommend this Hostel any higher for a comfy (budget) backpacking experience!

Room Tip: Ensure you check for aircon over the hot seasons (not needed in December as it's lovely and cool...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Warsaw, Poland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

After hard trip through the border (about 12 h) we finally arrived to the hotel. Then we were told that they are full and they do not have the room for us! Even we had paid for all nights in advance! They moved us for first night to another guesthouse, but the standard was much worse (noisy, dirty and the bath didn't work). The only advantage of Advisor Angkor Villa is that they help with organizing transport and guides for Angkor.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Sihanoukville, Cambodia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

This guesthouse used to be the best guest house in Siem Reap, but it has changed dramatically as being a terrible place to stay.

One of the owners, Mr. Anka, has taken up with one of the young women working there and she is a difficult person to deal with at best. In fact, today she physically struck me as I was checking out of the guest house because of the changes there.

They advertise free wifi, but the drivers they have hired all use thier I-phones in the evening so no customer can get a decent signal. The staff at the front dest use their personal laptops, and since they are closer to the main signal, the degrade the signal for the other people in the rooms who are paying for the wifi.

I have a rather large stomach, and some of the staff started to touch me. I have a hernia, and when I am touched on my stomach it can be very paifnul. I explained this to the owner and asked him to have his staff stop. I gave no names as I did not want to get anyone in trouble. Some of he drivers continued to touch my stomach. so when I went to renew my room, I only did it for 3 days. The owner's girlfriend (Mr Anka's girlfriend) asked me why and I explained it was rude to touch a person's stomach or their body. She became very rude and told me that she would not take my money and that I should leave. I don't think people should be touching me, even if my stomach is large..

When the staff is supposed to be working behind the desk, they are in the computer room, leaving everyone's rooms and belongings at risk. When I raised this issue with the owner's girlfriend, she became very angry and told me to mind my own business.

They have raised their prices and this guesthouse is a place to avoid, especially their "inexpensive tours to Angor Wat. They were charging $20 when a tuk tuk on the street would dio it for $10. They charge $50 to the waterfall in their car, and it is $30 on the street.

The owner, Mr. Anka is thinking with his johnson when it comes to the girl on the desk in the morning and she is normally in a bad mood, so this place has gone from one of the best places to stay to one of the worst.

The guest house say that their drivers are the most inexpensive in town, but in fact they charge twice what you can find on the street.

Don't be fooled by their low room prices and the free breakfast (rubber eggs), spend a little more money on a guesthouse for a better experience.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo