“A perfect guesthouse with a friendly and warm-hearted owners!”
Review of Sam So Guesthouse

Sam So Guesthouse
Ranked #74 of 495 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Frankfurt, Germany
“A perfect guesthouse with a friendly and warm-hearted owners!”
Reviewed 11 April 2011

I have found this guesthouse looking through the Tripadvisor for a place to stay in Siem Reap. The experiences of others were surprisingly positiv. Surprisingly, because of the very low price for the rooms in this place. I had one with an air-con for just 12$/night, and I could have one even for 8$, but with a fan instead of aircon.
So nobody expects something luxurious at this price level, but I justed needed a room with an aircon and a bed, where I could sleep and the price was important for me as well.
So as soon as I found this hotel on the tripadvisor and made a reservation over hotels booking-form in internet, I bacame a booking-confirmation with a proposal to be picked up from the bus station - free of charge. I find this serviced always comfortable, but I always had to pay for it extra, thats why this free pick-up was a nice feature.
I emailed my arriving time to the manager Mr. Sam So and although my bus came 25 minutes earlier, than expected, my driver was always staying there and waiting for me with my name on a big sign, so I could easiely recognise him.
As I arrived, the owners wife Mrs. Sam So received me very warm and frinedly on the reception, gave me a key from my room and told me, that I can take a look on it and if I wouldnt like it, there would be no problem to change it. I found the room ok, its one of those, who you can see on the pictures of other users.
The air-con was a very good and strong one, from Sharp, it took just about 30 minutes to cool the room down, and it was not noise at all. The room had a small refrigerator, TV-set. In the bath room you have a shower with cold and hot water.
As a special service, every guest is supplied with at least 1 bottle of mineral water daily. On 2 days from 4 I had even 2 bottles :)
The gusethouse supplies an internet acces over WiFi and it worked without problems, 24 hours a day. I red here on the tripadvisor about a problems with an internet access, but I can not confirm it - may be it was just a day with a bed connection from their provider - no idea. But as I said, in april 2011 it worked stable and without any problems.
Mr. Sam So speaks not only english, he also can speak good german, it was comfortable and nice for me (I am from Germany).
I found especially nice, that I could speak to Mr. or Mrs. Sam So every time, if I need something or wanted to have something speciall. I am sure, if had a troubles or problems, they would be solved quick. I had never seen before, that the owners/managers do sooo much, for their guests could feel comfortable, and this at the price level of 8 till 20$ for a room/night.
At my arriving day Mrs. Sam So took time for me and helped me to plan my visiting of Angkor on the next days. I just should say, how much I want to see and Mrs. Sam So has found a good possibility to engage a tuk-tuk driver for just 33$ for 2 whole days. This inkluded picking me uo from the hotel, driving me to the tempels (inkluding some of them which were more than 30 km far away!) and bringing me back after this. As I was informed on the next day from other people, it was a very attractive price, because they had to pay almost twice for much less driving around!
The only weak punkt at this almost perfect guesthouse is the fact, that the stuff (exept of Mr. and Mrs. Sam So) don´t speak english. But fortunately, Mr. and Mrs. Sam So were always there, at least one of them and they live on the same yard, their haous is just 5 meter away. So even if you would need something deep in the night, it can be done.
Mr. Sam So told me, that he alreade began to teach his stuff english. These are 3 or 4 young girls, who clean the room and the floors and they do it really accurate and well.
So if I will be again in Siem Reap, I will not even try something else, than a guesthouse Sam So. I am sure, that they have the perfect priceperformance ratio.
I reccomend this guesthouse for everybody and especially for german guests, their english is not good enough.

The room-service changed the towels and the bed clothes every day, as a small present every guest had

Room Tip: The best way - book your room over their homepage!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Greek first
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 30 March 2011

We have been travelling for several months now and Sam So Guesthouse was one of the most enjoyable places we've stayed at. Everyone was very friendly, the rooms were of good value for the price we've paid, the location is very good (in a quiet street but in walking distance of the town center). We've enjoyed the place so much that we've stayed for 10 days, our hosts really made us feel part of the family.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
belgium
Reviewed 27 March 2011

Hello everybody!

We just wanted to say that Sam So Guesthouse really is the best!
Me and my partner (30 and 38 years old) stayed with mr. Sam So and his family for 6 nights, from March 11th till March 17th 2011, so very recently.
We only have nice and positive things to say about our experience over there.
We booked our room through the internet, just the day before arriving and we immediately got a reply via email, which was really great.
We arrived in Siem Reap by bus from Battambang and the guesthouse offered us free pick-up from the busstop. As our bus was a bit delayed, the tuk-tukdriver, I believe it was mr. Lai, had to wait, but that was no problem at all. He was so very friendly!
And let me tell you that it is a really good service to have a driver waiting for you when you come to Siem Reap, because the city is so big and busy...
When we came to the guesthouse we were pleasantly surprised by its exact location. Its just outside the city centre, across the river from the old market, in a quiet area. So at night you can sleep like a rose, but if you want to go to all the markets and the cafés/restaurants, you only have to walk for like 6 minutes or so.
The room we had was the best. We have been travelling for 7 weeks and it really was the best room we had during our trip. Because there was no more double room available (which they told us when we made our reservation, so we knew this), we could have a twin room with separate beds. But these beds were so big and comfortable, you could easily sleep with two people in one bed. The pillows are so soft, I slept like a baby for the first time during our trip!
The bathroom is big enough with a nice hotwater-shower, a clean toilet and washing bassin.
And you know what the best thing was? Every day the rooms are cleaned! You get new bedsheets, fresh towels, new soap, toothbrushes and shampoo...
That was also the first time we had this during our trip all throughout Laos and Cambodia.
The room also had a TV that worked flawlessly with some moviechannels which showed the latest English-spoken movies.
And what makes the experience so unforgettable for us personnally: the kindness and warmth of Mr. Sam So, his wife, family and staff. Every time you see them, they start talking to you as if you are a part of the family. You instantly become very happy!
To conclude, we can only say this: If you are going to Siem Reap, stay at Sam So guesthouse! The quality of the service far outreaches the price and you really feel loved!
To Mr. Sam So, his wife, family and staff, we want to say: Thank you so very much for everything, you are friends for life. We enjoyed our stay so much, we definitely want to come back! All the best!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Seattle
Reviewed 26 March 2011

You will not find a friendlier or more helpful guesthouse anywhere in SE Asia. Sam So and his wife are probably the sweetest people I've ever met, and they make sure that you have everything you need to enjoy your stay in Siem Reap. The hotel is clean, the rooms are spacious, the beds are comfortable, the price is reasonable (and they have a range of options), and the location is great. It's about a 10-minute walk to the market area and it's down an short alley, so sleeping is very quiet, even in a ground floor room. There is free wireless that was usually fast, even in our room. They make it super easy to enjoy your time in Siem Reap, arranging anything you want to do but never pressuring you. The prices for these outings are very fair, and probably even save you money in the long run because there are never any "misunderstandings" or hidden costs that so often happen in these situations. They have trusted tuk-tuk drivers they use for your temple outings and it's clear that it's an entirely family-run place. The hotel is surrounded by the extended family, and they were so hospitable that Mrs. So even asked us to join them at their dinner table when we would pass by in the evening. This is not a fancy place, but you get so much more than you pay here. I'd give them 10 stars for service if I could. The owners both speak excellent English, and Mr. So speaks Italian and German as well. We did not contact them before we arrived, but the group we came with from the border had been in touch and found them very responsive. Bottom line: stay here. If you don't, you're missing out on a wonderful experience.

Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 22 March 2011

My travel buddy and I were first timers in backpacking and it was our first time to visit Cambodia as well. Upon making my reservation, I sent an email inquiry to the address posted on the site; to my pleasant surprise, the email was replied to within the day.

Mrs. So and her staff were very friendly and helpful. Within minutes of our arrival and upon knowing we had plans to visit Angkor immediately and make the most of our trip, she had arranged for us a tuktuk and a driver (Mr. Thy) for 2 days. She also arranged (at a discounted rate) a taxi to take us back to the Poipet-Aranyaprathet border.

The room was more than value for money! We had a queensize bed, cable TV, hot/cold shower, closet, and electric fan. Unlike other inns or hotels, our room could easily fit 2 beds. The place was quiet and allowed rest after a long day of walking. We had complimentary bottled water in our rooms.

The WiFi signal was fantastic. We had good service which allowed us to surf the internet in our room on the 2nd floor.

The guesthouse isa short tuktuk ride or leisurely walk to a market spot for sightseeing and soaking up culture. Traditional Khmer food, lots of souvenirs to buy, and things to see.

We'd love to come back and will be recommending the guesthouse to our friends.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 20 March 2011

I went to Siem Reap with four friends, and we rented out two rooms at Sam So's Guesthouse. From the get go, we knew it was going to be awesome. I got a text from the owner within an hour of reserving a room, thanking us and asking if we'd need a ride from the airport (complimentary, of course). Since we were coming overland from Bangkok, we had to turn it down, but I did get his advice on how to take a taxi from Poipet. He even let us know that we should have the cab call him, to make sure we were actually dropped off at the right place. It made life a lot easier, especially our taxi drivers barely spoke English :)

We arrived in the late afternoon, and Sam So immediately set to helping us flesh out our plans. He made reservations for an Apsara dinner show for us, then drove us over, all the while explaining recent history and how life is in the area. He even introduced us to the owner of the place, then had his cousin come pick us up when it ended (who offered to take us to the bar district, but we were a bit tired at that point :)

The next day was a tour, also arranged by him at a discounted rate (one tour guide with two tuk-tuks), which was excellent. That evening, both he and his wife helped us find a place to eat and pointed us to where we could do some shopping. They helped us arrange a bus back to Bangkok, which cost less than what we'd expected. Overall, the service was incredible. We absolutely loved all the help we were given here.

I suppose I should say a bit about the actual accommodations, too. Rooms were quite nice, clean, with not even a hint of bugs (though a few lizards :) We had AC in our rooms, which was nice and icy cold. A new water bottle each day, as well as complimentary disposable toothbrushes and toothpaste. Beds made and our scattered clothes neatly folded, too! It's really easy to get to the market areas from here, just a few minutes away with a nice walk along the river. There's a cheap barbecue buffet a few buildings down, and a cheap and tasty breakfast place next door.

Wifi worked fine for all of us, letting us check email, facebook, and fantasy sports on our smart phones. Knowing that there was an actual computer downstairs we could use was good, though we didn't need it.

As for things we didn't like....well, the water pressure was pretty low :) That's about the worst thing I could say, and it's a comment on the city, not the guest house. Stay at this place and you won't be disappointed!

1 Thank KyeArch
London
Reviewed 20 March 2011

Very homey feeling, Sam So and his wife are very sweet and helpful!
they made my stay in Siem Reap even more enjoyable.
if it helps...Sam So speaks Italian...which it has been a surprise!
didn't expect to receive a good morning email in Italian the first day of my stay.

the rest of the staff doesn't speak much English, but nothing a good drawing cannot explain! (after my phone died, i've manage to get the wake up call in the morning right on time...drawing a big clock and an alarm...and they've got straight away what i was asking for)

internet and wi-fi were fully working during my stay.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo