“I want to say good things but I am too busy getting eaten by bed bugs”
Review of Sam So Guesthouse

Sam So Guesthouse
Ranked #65 of 529 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I was hopeful, since the hosts are delightful. A tuk tuk driver was waiting for me at the bus station. The place seemed nice. But my bed is infested with bed bugs, my breakfast omelette had ham in it when I specifically asked for no meat, and the owner forgot to turn the hot water on the first night I arrived. Nice people but you have many options so...

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank lmcg

Reviewed 23 March 2014

I had selected staying at this guesthouse based on an internet search on hostels.com, which is not limited to hostels, by the way. I mostly selected it because there were several reviews saying how great the owners were, which I value, plus, going to another country, I was concerned about language barrier.

I had actually received an email the day before I planned on arriving. She was offering to have someone pick us up at the bus station. We stayed in communication about it, and her written English was excellent. Our bus was over 2 hours late getting in because of road construction, and the tuk tuk driver was there greeting us with a smile when we finally arrived, and while we were very apologetic about keeping him waiting, he was more than understanding.

The rooms were nicer than we expected. Spacious, clean, comfortable. the rooms are basic, but more than adequate for our needs. The hot water went out once, but this seems to be typical for Cambodia. Mattresses in general are a lot harder than what people in the US are accustomed to, so expect that in general, as well.

The married couple who resides at the guesthouse are wonderful people. They want to make their guests feel at home and they are willing to book a tour, make sure you have a tuk tuk driver for your daily outings and give you information, or just converse and get to know you. They also can rent you a bike for a modest fee and they serve breakfast (the menu caters to westerners, which I actually prefer ethnic food). It was just s short bike ride to get into the downtown area and there was lots to do on the way, in terms of food or spa- so the location is very nice as well, and set back from the road so the noise was not too much.

Out of all the places I staying on my month adventure through SE Asia, I would say Sam So guesthouse had the friendliest and most helpful staff. If I found myself in Siem Rea again, I would certainly enjoy staying here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sherri40
Reviewed 16 March 2014

This was our first stop in Cambodia, and we stayed there for 4 nights. The room was large with comfy beds, and hot water,and the guesthouse as a whole was clean and cozy. We had breakfast there every morning,which always included delicious fresh fruit! Yum!

The best part of our stay however, was the incredibly helpful owner. We took to calling her Mary Poppins. She anticipated many of our needs, helping us to arrange a tuk-tuk driver to the temples ( who by the way was also super super friendly!), booked us tickets to go see traditional dancing, helped us with directions around the city, booked our bus tickets to our next destination ( which involved her calling every company to try to find us the most comfortable seats on the bus!).
She was so friendly and knowledgeable, her help improved our stay in Siem Rep immensely!

They also had guidebooks to borrow, WiFi with really good connection, and we ate a lunch there one day that was pretty delicious!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

We loved this accommodation, especially the very helpful and friendly staff. They helped organize our trips and the driver was very friendly and waited for us when we wanted to stop somewhere. Also the breakfast was very good! We would certainly stay here again! Thank you for the wonderful time in Siem reap, we loved it there!

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 1 March 2014

GlobeMed at UVa has stayed at Samso for two summers now and we are so glad we did!! They are the most hospitable, caring, and accommodating people! We truly felt like family staying here and we are so glad we have a wonderful guesthouse to go back to every summer!!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 February 2014

The guesthouse itself is great. Good value for money, big/clean rooms and a good breakfast is included. But what really makes this guesthouse so great is the staff. They're all so kind and can't do enough for you. We booked all our trips and transport through Sam So without any problems. They really go the extra mile to make your stay as comfortable as possible. They also speak very good English.

The only criticism I would have is the noise. It is a family run guesthouse so there are a lot of (very lovely but very noisy) children playing outside in the early hours of the morning. I'd advise taking earplugs.

Overall we had a wonderful stay and would happily return to Sam So Guesthouse.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Sam So Guesthouse is a Cambodian run family guesthouse. It is a budget guesthouse located in a quiet alley yet not too far from Pub Street, Old Market and Night Market. About 10-15minute walk from Pub Street.

Staffs are very friendly. Mrs. So helped us in our itinerary and bus ticket booking. Room is clean, air-conditioned, special mention for the very spacious room, clean toilet w/ hot water, towels were replaced daily, rooms were cleaned daily. Free pickup from the airport. Free breakfast. We will definitely stay here again when we go back to Siem Reap.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple