“Friendly staff, nice location”
Review of Sam So Guesthouse

Sam So Guesthouse
Ranked #70 of 496 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Vancouver, Canada
“Friendly staff, nice location”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I decided to wait until the end of my trip to do any reviews just so I had a better idea of what to compare it to. It silly to rate this and compare it to hotels in North America. It's not North America!

This was the first place I stayed on my trip. I really enjoyed the location. It is down a little alleyway, making it feel a little more isolated. It seems to be situated around a few homes with kids running around, which made it feel a little safer as I think the families wouldn't take too kindly to people causing problems. Although with that said, Siem Reap feels pretty safe in general. It is walking distance to town, and the staff tries their best to make you comfortable.

The rooms are clean-ish. Personally, I approach all hotels the same regardless of how clean they "appear." I assume they are not. They ask for you to take you shoes off at the door. Which is fine. But I'm not sure I would wear their slippers that they provide in the room. I kept a pair of clean flip-flops with me so that I could wear them inside. Especially while showering. If you've been to SE Asia, you'd know that often the shower is just a shower head next to the toilet. So, flip flops are a must. The bed was decently comfortable compared to a lot of places I slept. The breakfasts were quite large and really good.

All in all, I have no complaints. So long as you keep in mind that this is not a 5 star hotel (and they don't claim to be), I think it's awesome for a budget hotel. I believe I paid $11 for a single bed on the 3rd floor with a fan. It was quite hot during my stay the first night. Apparently oddly so. But I found the fan was sufficient. With that said, I grew up in 100 degree weather, so I may be more tolerant of it.

I would definitely stay here again if I were traveling on a budget. Or even if I were just traveling alone.

This isn't the best place to stay if you are hoping to meet other solo travelers though. I went several days without talking to anybody apart from the staff.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank DexSolo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Greek first
Paraparaumu, New Zealand
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We picked this guesthouse on the feedback from other guests. The guesthouse was in a lovely quiet courtyard away from the busy noisy street, the rooms were mainly quiet (sometimes the kids were playing outside but this was no problem. While the room was clean (and cleaned daily) the bathroom was in need of updating and repair (it smelt very damp and it the smell hit you as soon as you walked into the room). Every time we used the sink our feet got a shower too! The AC didn't work, instead we had a fan which was ok but very noisy when trying to sleep. The staff (and owners) were friendly and helpful. However, the owner kept insisting we book all our trips and tuk-tuks through her, when we did we found it was at a heavily inflated price. We booked only once then found our own tuk-tuk drivers. Not a bad guesthouse for the price but could have been better. We used the Frangipani Hotel swimming pool a couple of doors away, they charge $5 for the use of the pool or if you spend &6 on food and drink they waive the charge. A great place to cool down and chill at!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BOOtsie5
Vientiane, Laos
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Anyone can fake it for a night or two, but when you stay at a guest house for three weeks you get to know the staff and the hotel operations pretty well.

After 21 days of staying with Mr. Sam So and Mrs. Sotheavy in their guest house, I can't think of a single thing i would have changed about my stay.

The guest house is located within walking distance (10 minutes or so) from the old town, night market, and pub street. It's one block from the river and set back away from the street in this cool little community that's gated at night.

I loved the setting - you're surrounded by Cambodian families, kids playing in the yard, and locals just living their lives. If you're interested in getting a real taste of Siem Reap as opposed to a whitewashed Westernized version, this is the place to stay.

Clean, large rooms with a friendly staff who always offered to clean my room each day. The rooms are simple but the beds are comfortable and the WiFi signal in my room was EXCELLENT (no small feat in SE Asia!!!)

Definitely get a room with air con, you'll need it in Siem Reap.

Don't miss breakfast either - free with your stay but they should charge for it because you get your choice of several egg dishes plus toast, fruit (always two kinds - again, very rare!!) plus jam, butter, and limitless coffee and tea.

Mrs. Sotheavy arranged a great tuk tuk tour of Angkor Wat for me and then went out of her way to secure my Vietnam visa.

Also, it bears saying that every single member of the staff was not only friendly and helpful, but trustworthy. I felt absolutely secure as far as my personal belongings were concerned, and very safe as a solo female traveler.

Can't recommend highly enough for budget travelers.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the river give you a pretty view of the colorful surrounding homes and buildings
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Rebekah V
greenville, nh
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I was hopeful, since the hosts are delightful. A tuk tuk driver was waiting for me at the bus station. The place seemed nice. But my bed is infested with bed bugs, my breakfast omelette had ham in it when I specifically asked for no meat, and the owner forgot to turn the hot water on the first night I arrived. Nice people but you have many options so...

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank lmcg
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I had selected staying at this guesthouse based on an internet search on hostels.com, which is not limited to hostels, by the way. I mostly selected it because there were several reviews saying how great the owners were, which I value, plus, going to another country, I was concerned about language barrier.

I had actually received an email the day before I planned on arriving. She was offering to have someone pick us up at the bus station. We stayed in communication about it, and her written English was excellent. Our bus was over 2 hours late getting in because of road construction, and the tuk tuk driver was there greeting us with a smile when we finally arrived, and while we were very apologetic about keeping him waiting, he was more than understanding.

The rooms were nicer than we expected. Spacious, clean, comfortable. the rooms are basic, but more than adequate for our needs. The hot water went out once, but this seems to be typical for Cambodia. Mattresses in general are a lot harder than what people in the US are accustomed to, so expect that in general, as well.

The married couple who resides at the guesthouse are wonderful people. They want to make their guests feel at home and they are willing to book a tour, make sure you have a tuk tuk driver for your daily outings and give you information, or just converse and get to know you. They also can rent you a bike for a modest fee and they serve breakfast (the menu caters to westerners, which I actually prefer ethnic food). It was just s short bike ride to get into the downtown area and there was lots to do on the way, in terms of food or spa- so the location is very nice as well, and set back from the road so the noise was not too much.

Out of all the places I staying on my month adventure through SE Asia, I would say Sam So guesthouse had the friendliest and most helpful staff. If I found myself in Siem Rea again, I would certainly enjoy staying here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sherri40
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 16 March 2014

This was our first stop in Cambodia, and we stayed there for 4 nights. The room was large with comfy beds, and hot water,and the guesthouse as a whole was clean and cozy. We had breakfast there every morning,which always included delicious fresh fruit! Yum!

The best part of our stay however, was the incredibly helpful owner. We took to calling her Mary Poppins. She anticipated many of our needs, helping us to arrange a tuk-tuk driver to the temples ( who by the way was also super super friendly!), booked us tickets to go see traditional dancing, helped us with directions around the city, booked our bus tickets to our next destination ( which involved her calling every company to try to find us the most comfortable seats on the bus!).
She was so friendly and knowledgeable, her help improved our stay in Siem Rep immensely!

They also had guidebooks to borrow, WiFi with really good connection, and we ate a lunch there one day that was pretty delicious!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Hannover, Germany
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

We loved this accommodation, especially the very helpful and friendly staff. They helped organize our trips and the driver was very friendly and waited for us when we wanted to stop somewhere. Also the breakfast was very good! We would certainly stay here again! Thank you for the wonderful time in Siem reap, we loved it there!

• Stayed January 2014