“Peaceful spot”

Siem Reap Holiday Garden Villa
Ranked #253 of 489 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
“Peaceful spot”
Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

After I faced some major problems at the villa brak sovann in siem reap, it was a good decision to stay here. The welcoming was friendly, the vibes were great. David, an Aussie managing this place temporarily, was a funny and charming fellow, who helped me as much as possible. The cambodian staff were nice, too.
The room was clean and tidy... cannot complain about the a/c.
wifi-reception was weak in the room (which I personally do not mind), but reliable in the common areas. Moreover, they provide a desktop-pc with internetaccess and tea for free!
The location is in 5-10 minutes walking distance to the noisy pub area. There are more attractive restaurants and bars in the close sorrounding.
Thank you again and please remember to send me an email ;-)

• Stayed July 2013

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Korean first
United States
Reviewed 11 July 2013 via mobile

Avg price, location, etc. Owners would be nicer if they took an extra step tp make you feel welcomed. Internet is throttled painfully slow. A/C is not controlled by you and is only on 6pm to 6am. Nice natural alarm clock I guess. Shoes were stolen front front of building. Woman working front desk claimed that I never put them there. Look elsewhere, there are an abundance of places to stay in Siem Reap.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank thGrassyKnoll
Reviewed 2 April 2013

There is great cheap accommodation all over siem reap. This place is $5 for a dorm which is a good price for a clean aircon room. The problem is they don't tell you they only put on the aircon from 6pm to 6 am and it gets so hot. $5 is supposed to be for an aircon room and as far as I'm concerned its not. The fan that they leave you with swings so slowly it does nothing to help. Stay somewhere else and get your money's worth.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Leahebbett
Reviewed 24 March 2013

The location is perfect, just five minutes walk to pub street where all the action is besides the temple. Got warmly greeted by the owner upon arrival, staff were friendly and very helpful with everything, room was huge, you could fit a giant in there and cleaned daily, I had the room right beside reception and there were a lot of mosquitoes in the room only downside for me. Despite being close to pub street, it is a quiet relaxing hostel as there arent that many rooms so you can get your peace and quiet there at all times. Hired Mr. Raya as my tuk tuk driver for two days, trustworthy, no extra scams like other drivers you hire off the street, he takes you to the temple, tells you the temples name and where he will wait for you, that's about all the info you get so if you want to learn more hire a guide or buy a guidebook from outside the temples ($5) but I am sure a good bargainer can talk that down even more.

Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Prof A
D.C. area
Reviewed 23 March 2013

DO NOT use the tuktuk drivers from this hotel. I I had their hotel tuktuk driver pick me up from the airport. The hotel set up tours with him and they always gave me the same driver. He was horrible! He picked me up from the airport and chided me because I had given the hotel the time the flight would arrive and I didn't meet him at that time: I met him 15 minutes later after getting my visa and going through immigration. (Of course-how would I know how long it would take?!)
He hustled me: the first day, I had him take me on a set route and at the end of it asked him what I owed. He said, "whatever you want." had requested a normal set-price through the hotel. I had forgotten the listed price and wasn't sure how much-if any- a slight cash machine detour would cost. Apparently I overpaid him, because the next day he was all, "oh, you're so nice."

For the second day, I had requested a specific tour-to only 2 temples and the landmine museum- through the hotel. The brochure said the tour was for 5 hours. On his own the driver started taking me to all these other temples and basically started taking me on the "grand tour" as part of this. I had never said anything to anyone about doing the grand tour. His detour was cost me both time and money. (At the end he tried to seriously overcharge me.) On that day, I checked out of the hotel, mostly because between the driver and the Beng Melea quote I felt like this place was bent on getting as much of my money as they could.

While I am walking away from the hotel I run into driver and he takes me to this other guesthouse. He asked what I was doing the next day. I told him that I had a bus tour and didn't need him then. He started begging me Relentlessly until finally I told him he could take me instead if for the same price as the bus tour. (Incidentally, the next day, he actually OPENED THE DOOR TO MY HOTEL ROOM after I had just told him to wait a minute. BEYOND INAPPROPRIATE.) The right driver can make a huge difference in your trip. You get hustled enough in Siem Reap; you don't need your driver scamming you. HGV was a major disappointment here and needs to vet their drivers better.

DO NOT set up tours through this hotel. I asked for prices for a Beng Melea/Koh Ker trip via a car. Emailed response from Two Dragons Guesthouse: $90. Beyond Unique Escapes (travel agency) online website price: $120. Emailed response from HGV: $160. Two days after this quote, the front desk clerk at HGV said- out of the blue- “The quote was wrong. It's $170.” Enough said.

REALIZE there might not be internet in your room. Apparently, some rooms had it and some did not. Mine did not. There was a free computer to use downstairs, though.

BEWARE power outages. While I was there, we were without power for about 12 hours or so. When I was checking out early-citing this as a reason-the owner told me sometimes lose electricity maybe two days a month.

THINGS I LIKED ABOUT THIS PLACE

Location: easy walk to Pub Street with the advantage of not being in the thick of the noise when you want to sleep

Free computer to use in the lobby.

Books-some on Angkor Wat-in the lobby.

Gorgeous furniture everywhere. And the bed was more comfortable than I expected

Free toothbrush and tiny tube of toothpaste.

I complained that I couldn't lock my door (before I discovered you don't lock it with the key but by pushing in the button on the inside). The owner's response made me feel like there would be immediate action taken to fix this.

Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Tauranga
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Our family of five spent four nights at this guesthouse, and our children rated it the best place we stayed during our five week trip of Asia. The room was absolutely huge, and one of the very few places where all five of us actually got our own beds! It was also very good value for money. The location is great as its just a short walk to the night market, restaurants and bars, Pub St and booking agencies. We spent quite a lot of time at Khmer Taste, a family run restaurant just around the corner which had fantastic food (and cocktails!). Best of all was the service provided by Paul and Elsie, who were incredibly helpful, kind and entertaining. Thanks guys. I hope we'll be back in Cambodia soon!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Hoi An, Vietnam
Reviewed 28 February 2013 via mobile

Good location, nice staff and good tour services.
Is a good value in Siem Reap, big rooms, clean bathrooms and helpful staff.
We have been in two GH in Siem Reap and from our experience this one is a good option. The staff & the tuk tuk boy were really nice and explained lots of things about Angkor an Cambodian people.

Good place to go.