“Of Buddhas, Kings and Temples”

Angkor National Museum
and up
Private City Tour in Siem Reap
Ranked #24 of 184 things to do in Siem Reap
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We had not planned on visiting this but we had a few hours free so decided to give this a try. We were surprised they charge $12 per person - a little too expensive - plus $3 for an optional audio guide. My husband and daughter both didn't want one so I was the only one who got the audio. Good thing because they just borrowed it when I was reading the explanations of the displays. The first section of 1000 Buddhas was impressive. What are shown are mostly history of temples, kings and Buddhas. Our teen daughter and another younger kid I saw visiting did not look bored and in fact looked intent in watching the videos shown. As what is expected of a museum, it was educational, and this was worth a visit.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,619)

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Twelve dollars to see the same stuff as at the temples, BUT you cannot take pictures! There was even one of the cardboard backgrounds where you put your face in from behind to be part of the scene... Kinda dumb to put that in there when you do not allow pictures to be taken.

The 'most important room', according to one of the guides, was the room of 1000 Buddhas. This was very similar to Wat Si Saket in Vientiane, Laos...but they had 10,000 Buddhas on display. It was also only $1 to get into that temple...and I could take all the pictures I wanted.

After this, I really believe that Cambodia exists to separate foreigners from their money while supplying only minimal entertainment. I do highly recommend The Killing Fields and S21, which combined, cost only $3 for fees (free audio tour device at Killing Fields.....they charged $3 more at the National Museum for that). Sorry to say that about Cambodia as they have a lot on offer including an incredible history, but they are over charging.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Had a good few hours here really just to keep out of the sweltering heat but did enjoy it - no cameras allowed though which was a little disappointing

1  Thank yvonnekonk
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I thought the Museum in Phnom Penh was much better, but this is quite good for a smaller town like Siem Reap. Probably takes about 2 hours or so to get around it, longer if you stopped to read everything. I think it cost $12 plus $3 for an audio guide. My wife took the audio player but didn't think much of it. Worth a look if you haven't seen something similar.

1  Thank BrisBarry
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We visited the Angkor national museum the day after our first full day at the Angkor Park. The museum was cool, well laid out with loads of information. We found it really useful, as it pieced together a lot of the history and religion we'd seen at the temples the day before. (We didn't use a guide at the temples.) There is loads to read on the walls, the audio guide is good and plenty there is of English. It did repeat its self in parts and went into a lot of detail about the different Hindu and Buddhist gods and religions. (we found this interesting but it depends what you're into I guess.) There are a lot of artifacts from the temples all round the museum, which, of course are worth seeing and some very impressive stone carvings. I particularity liked the display in the last room on the Angkorian dress for both men and women.
The museum also had a mini temporary display upstairs on Cambodian crafts. Which was fun and useful. I made some notes on the wax batik display, which I recorded in my travel diary below, if anyone is interested in creating there own batik.

1  Thank Julia W