“Excelent Choice”

Golden Temple Hotel
Ranked #23 of 374 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 22 March 2011

We spent 4 nights on Golden Temple Hotel.
Very nice room, wonderfull swimming pool, great FREE massage ( one per stay).
We book thru Agoda.com and get better prices that directy from hotel site.
Prices of the tours are also very good, comparing to others hotels and even for free lancers tuk tuks.
Some points tha could be improved:
Breakfast - You have to chose one of the 3 sets. After 2days you get a bit tired of the same food.
Bikes - Althought they annouce they have free bikes, the bikes are really old and not well kept at all, so it will be better to rent good ones for US$ 4 or 5 at any shop around.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,790)

Reviewed 20 March 2011

The Golden Temple was a very pleasant place to stay. I would definitely recommend it. The staff were very helpful, attentive, the room comfortable and clean and “Temple 1” is a tasty and filling breakfast. The “feel” of the hotel is very relaxed. We had room 20 which is faces “outwards” i.e. the hostel next door. I was a bit worried about the noise from their outdoors TV “room” to start with, but that didn´t really turn out to be a problem and the “curtain” in front of the balcony gave us privacy. If you after a view you are better off with a room facing the pool though.
The location of the hotel is much better than the ones on what our airport taxi driver called the “main strip”. It is close to the river and pub street and also close to “Green star”, a restaurant that supports a project looking after street children which serves nice food.
I took part in a cooking class in the hotel. We were three “students” and three people teaching us. We students produced a three course meal each, and very tasty it was, too. The washing up happened magically all by itself.
The booking came with a complimentary massage. I had the Khmer option which wasn´t really my thing. It includes some “moves” I found rather uncomfortable. I had a “relaxing massage” the day after. That was lovely.
The hotel provided us with tuktuk drivers for sightseeing. The first one we had did the usual “tuktuk kidnap”, i.e. ignored all instructions from our side and even refused to take us back to the hotel for lunch claiming it was dirty there (we saw no evidence of that at all). The second one (Mr. Ol) was brilliant.
On the topic of transport: The hotel taxi is cheaper than those from the tourist office at the airport, so I would advise to organise pickup by the hotel on arrival.
I forgot a bag full of things I bought in a gallery in my room and the staff made a real effort to ally “repatriate” my souvenirs to the country of my choice.
If I go back to Siem Riep (I am very tempted to, the temples are wonderful) I would stay at the hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 March 2011

My wife and I stayed at Golden Temple Hotel recently and I cannot think of enough good things to say about it. The prices are reasonable. The staff could not have been friendlier. Everyone at the Hotel was very helpful, giving suggestions and directions for our Holiday. The rooms were clean and the decorations bright. The free massage was to die for. When in Siem Reap we will always stay there in the future.

Reviewed 17 March 2011

What a great little hotel. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Delicious welcome drink, wonderful free massage (better than the ones I've had in Hong Kong), great location within walking distance of the centre of Siem Reap.
The tuk tuk driver they organised for us was lovely. He chose a great order for visiting all the temples.
The food / drinks at the hotel were good value, but there are many other great restaurants within walking distance around Siem Reap

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2011

We came in from the busy street to this beautiful Oasis. We were greeted and given a seat, then cool wash clothes and sweet rice steamed in a banana peel. That was just the first 5 minutes. All the staff worked hard to make sure we enjoyed our stay. Even the manager Richard came by and arranged lunch for us at our poolside room. It was great, I highly reccommend this hotel. Oh yeah, did I mention the complimentary massage??

Reviewed 13 March 2011

I and my husband stayed Golden Temple Hotel for 3 nights. We were welcomed with a nice lime juice and small snacks with flower petals. Staff were always friendly and very supportive. Swimming pool and pool side chairs made nice ambience, so we decided to have dinner 2 nights by the pool. Restaurant food for dinner was great, and they served complimentary breakfast which was also great. One stay includes one complimentary massage (1hour). It was also great.

We traveled many places and have experienced different hotels, but the experience of this hotel was definitely one of the best. Only one down side is they had no elevator. Our room was on 4th floor, so I was a little annoyed. However, overall experience was far greater than such one trivial downside.

Reviewed 10 March 2011

This hotel had extremely nice rooms. The pool was serene and the restaurant had delicious meals. My favorite food was the Khmer Amok and the Lotus Flower with Rice Bubble. The staff were more than accommodating! The only thing that was subpar was the Khmer Massage from the hotel spa...having received Thai massage and being certified in it...I found the Khmer massage to be a bit sloppy...it felt like the girl wasn't really paying attention...but that is my opinion. The hotel arranged a tour guide for Angkor Wat and that turned out to be very beneficial...I would have missed many things if he wasn't there. You can get a little overwhelmed with the constant donating...but I asked myself...who really needs it more? The people of Cambodia are so peaceful and made it an enjoyable experience for me. I rode a bicycle around town during the day and at night. You can find so many hand made items at the Old Market and Night Market. I did hear from a man that he was pestered a lot to buy drugs and prostitutes...but I guess as a single female I was blessed not to be exposed to that. I felt safe being on my own, but always stayed aware.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo