“Nice rooms, great pool”

Golden Temple Hotel
Ranked #27 of 386 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 22 March 2011

The Golden Temple had the nicest hotel staff of any hotel that I stayed at during my trip. They made an effort to get to know the travellers and say hello all the time. The rooms are very nice, with a few niggles. The showers are weird and tended to get the whole bathroom wet, and the hotel put petals all over the bed and bathroom but I found it a little over the top and annoying (as a dude). The amenities in the room were nice with a flat screen tv and dvd player (with some dvds to watch). Also, they have this key system, where the key turns on the power to the room, so you can't leave anything in the room to charge or in the fridge to cool while you are out. On the plus side, the breakfasts were awesome! There is a set menu, but all the choices were good. The rooms had free wi-fi and there were some computers near the lobby that guests could use. The hotel location is a little bit out of the city center, but you can easily walk there in a couple minutes. Overall, the hotel is decent value. It is a level up from backpackers/hostels in both quality and price.

As for seeing the temples and general area, the hotel arranged a fantastic guide for us: Tivorn Vun who you can contact directly at vorn_66@yahoo.com or by phone at +855 12235699 or 012 235699 inside Cambodia. He was a great guide and he had some personality as well, telling jokes and being super friendly.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (3,877)

Reviewed 22 March 2011

We spent 4 nights on Golden Temple Hotel.
Very nice room, wonderfull swimming pool, great FREE massage ( one per stay).
We book thru Agoda.com and get better prices that directy from hotel site.
Prices of the tours are also very good, comparing to others hotels and even for free lancers tuk tuks.
Some points tha could be improved:
Breakfast - You have to chose one of the 3 sets. After 2days you get a bit tired of the same food.
Bikes - Althought they annouce they have free bikes, the bikes are really old and not well kept at all, so it will be better to rent good ones for US$ 4 or 5 at any shop around.

Reviewed 20 March 2011

The Golden Temple was a very pleasant place to stay. I would definitely recommend it. The staff were very helpful, attentive, the room comfortable and clean and “Temple 1” is a tasty and filling breakfast. The “feel” of the hotel is very relaxed. We had room 20 which is faces “outwards” i.e. the hostel next door. I was a bit worried about the noise from their outdoors TV “room” to start with, but that didn´t really turn out to be a problem and the “curtain” in front of the balcony gave us privacy. If you after a view you are better off with a room facing the pool though.
The location of the hotel is much better than the ones on what our airport taxi driver called the “main strip”. It is close to the river and pub street and also close to “Green star”, a restaurant that supports a project looking after street children which serves nice food.
I took part in a cooking class in the hotel. We were three “students” and three people teaching us. We students produced a three course meal each, and very tasty it was, too. The washing up happened magically all by itself.
The booking came with a complimentary massage. I had the Khmer option which wasn´t really my thing. It includes some “moves” I found rather uncomfortable. I had a “relaxing massage” the day after. That was lovely.
The hotel provided us with tuktuk drivers for sightseeing. The first one we had did the usual “tuktuk kidnap”, i.e. ignored all instructions from our side and even refused to take us back to the hotel for lunch claiming it was dirty there (we saw no evidence of that at all). The second one (Mr. Ol) was brilliant.
On the topic of transport: The hotel taxi is cheaper than those from the tourist office at the airport, so I would advise to organise pickup by the hotel on arrival.
I forgot a bag full of things I bought in a gallery in my room and the staff made a real effort to ally “repatriate” my souvenirs to the country of my choice.
If I go back to Siem Riep (I am very tempted to, the temples are wonderful) I would stay at the hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 March 2011

My wife and I stayed at Golden Temple Hotel recently and I cannot think of enough good things to say about it. The prices are reasonable. The staff could not have been friendlier. Everyone at the Hotel was very helpful, giving suggestions and directions for our Holiday. The rooms were clean and the decorations bright. The free massage was to die for. When in Siem Reap we will always stay there in the future.

Reviewed 17 March 2011

What a great little hotel. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Delicious welcome drink, wonderful free massage (better than the ones I've had in Hong Kong), great location within walking distance of the centre of Siem Reap.
The tuk tuk driver they organised for us was lovely. He chose a great order for visiting all the temples.
The food / drinks at the hotel were good value, but there are many other great restaurants within walking distance around Siem Reap

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2011

We came in from the busy street to this beautiful Oasis. We were greeted and given a seat, then cool wash clothes and sweet rice steamed in a banana peel. That was just the first 5 minutes. All the staff worked hard to make sure we enjoyed our stay. Even the manager Richard came by and arranged lunch for us at our poolside room. It was great, I highly reccommend this hotel. Oh yeah, did I mention the complimentary massage??

Reviewed 13 March 2011

I and my husband stayed Golden Temple Hotel for 3 nights. We were welcomed with a nice lime juice and small snacks with flower petals. Staff were always friendly and very supportive. Swimming pool and pool side chairs made nice ambience, so we decided to have dinner 2 nights by the pool. Restaurant food for dinner was great, and they served complimentary breakfast which was also great. One stay includes one complimentary massage (1hour). It was also great.

We traveled many places and have experienced different hotels, but the experience of this hotel was definitely one of the best. Only one down side is they had no elevator. Our room was on 4th floor, so I was a little annoyed. However, overall experience was far greater than such one trivial downside.