“Ideal place to visit the temples”

Siddharta Boutique Hotel
Ranked #61 of 365 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 13 January 2012

The Siddharta is a great hotel in a peaceful location. The rooms are spacious, clean and well equipped. With only 28 rooms the place has an intimate feel and the pool and surrounding area is just what is needed to relax after a day visiting Angkor and the temples. The staff are all very friendly and the service was great. We never had to ask for anything twice.

We had a Tuk Tuk driver included in our room rate and the hotel had suggested a rough itinerary to visit the temples to make the most of the time we were there. Having the same Tuk Tuk driver each day who knew where we were going each day was perfect for us and he was also available in the evenings to take us the short trip into town.

Only negative I would say is the breakfast was quite basic compared to other places we had stayed at a similar room rate but it was fine.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 January 2012

We had a wonderful time staying at the hotel. Our room was beautiful. The package included a tuk tuk driver, who was available from 6.30 am to 10.30 pm. He was fabulous, negotiated prices for us and suggested places for us to visit. The restaurant was lovely with friendly, obliging staff. The foot massages were fantastic. All staff from reception to cleaners were helpful and friendly. I would wholeheartedly recommend Siddharta.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Kimalexis
Reviewed 10 January 2012

Stayed for 5 nights. The aromatherapy and back massages were very good, their spa staff are very well trained. It's a little more expensive then what you would get down town, but the quality and convenience is just unbeatable.

The general environment of the hotel was great, which made me feel better about taking afternoon breaks from the ton of stuff you Just Had to See.

The management and staff really make an effort to be as helpful as possible. They have a list of restaurants to recommend, and ask guest to provide feedback on restaurants, so you can always ask them for tips on where to get some lunch/dinner. One guy even offered to take us out at 11pm at night to try some bugs because we really wanted to try them and were leaving the next morning!

We had a lovely tuk tuk driver. His English wasn't fantastic, but he was very friendly and told us a fair bit about Cambodian culture and society. We drove past zone district his house was in and told as some stories about the development in the area. We got to take photos of the school and chat to the teacher.

Beds were amazing! Firm but not hard, extremely comfy.

Breakfast was nice. Loved the fruit selection which was always good. Could do with a bit of variety through.

Probably the only disappointment was the murky water in the pool.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Izabellachen
Reviewed 6 January 2012

Stayed here 3 nights. Beautiful, big room with sitting area just outside overlooking beautiful salt water pool. Perfect, tranquil location. Everything was perfect - the room, the staff, the restaurant, the pool. Apart from an annoying noisy child staying on the floor level, relaxing stay.
Our room included a tuk tuk driver. Wish he spoke better english but, hey, why don't I speak Cambodian? He was very nice.
Very helpful staff when I needed to ship a statue I bought that I couldn't take to Bangkok with me.
Would definitely recommend this place and stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank aluminum123
Reviewed 5 January 2012

This was one of the nicest hotels of my three week SE Asia trip. Siem Riep is way too busy for me and staying here was calm and peaceful yet just minutes from town. Nice breakfast too and dinner was very nice as well. Having a Tuk Tuk have you the Friedman to go into town or out touring. I will say that it is not what I consider a "boutique hotel" but it is a top notch small hotel and I would recommend a stay here without hesitation.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Very pleasant stay in this hotel. We tought it was a very good idea to provide a tuk tuk driver selected by the hotel, our was great. The room are big and nice for the price range, nice pool and restaurant at the top to enjoy some cool air. The breakfast is good but everyday the same and the other meals are average, better go outside.
The people at the reception are very helpful, however make sure, if you have made some special requests by email that they don't forget about it.
The massage are cheap and not bad but there are so many spa in Siem Reap...
The only complain would be the guide they booked for us that was really just average.

Room Tip: The room downstairs have a little terrace on the pool but are more humid and dark than the one upsta...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank voyagistablog
Reviewed 4 January 2012

We stayed at the Siddharta Boutique Hotel for 2 nights over Christmas period. Like some other reviewers, the Pavillon d'Orient was full so we were referred to their sister hotel instead.

I was impressed from the start when the manager of Siddharta, Mr. Vuthu Hour, contacted me, offering a family room without having to reserve our stay by credit card. The family room is 2 rooms connected by an interconnecting door with 2 separate bathrooms. The parents' room had a king bed and the children room had a queen bed and single bed. What my children loved most was the playstation PS2 in their bedroom. The games discs were available from reception for free.

There is a nice sized swimming pool and acceptable open air restaurant where we had our breakfasts and dinner. The manager welcomed us with welcome drinks, a free map of the area and tour suggestions. Our room rate included breakfast, complimentary tuk tuk service from hotel to the temples and to town from dawn to 10 p.m. and a one-way pick up service from airport to hotel. A lovely and practical thought! I thought the rate included drop off service from hotel to airport but later found out I had to pay US$7 for the van.

Location of the hotel was good - only 10 to 15 minutes away from the temples and town.

Staff in restaurant, reception and tuk tuk driver were friendly and helpful. We had a late flight out of Siem Reap. Although we had to check out of our room by noon, they gave us another single bedroom for use in the afternoon so that we could wash up after our swim in the pool. Very kind indeed. We booked an English speaking tour guide (Mr. Poy Pines - email: duokbuffoon@yahoo.com) through them and he was excellent. The rate was US$25 for the day.

My husband and I had a massage each for an hour at the hotel. Coming from Bangkok, the land of massages where standards are high, I think I would give it a miss here.

Areas where the hotel can improve on:
1) There were many mosquitoes in the hotel rooms. I killed about 2 to 3 in the mornings and 2 to 3 in the evenings. We asked for the room to be sprayed but I am not sure if the staff actually had the chance to do so considering that the hotel was full.

2) The breakfast variety could be improved. Only 1 muesli and 1 kids' cereal (cornflakes) offered. Bread was only croissant and a hard type available. Juice was mango and orange from cartons which quickly ran out by 9:30 a.m. Eggs of any style plus bacon cooked upon request. There were about 5 to 6 types of fruits available. Coffee and hot water (tea in bags) were from hot boilers. It would be better if the hotel could provide more variety of juice, cereals, bread and cooked tomatoes/ham.

3) The swimming pool water was quite murky. Even my son noticed it. Could do with a clean.

4) We stayed at the top floor family room number 305 which was directly below the kitchen and it was noisy! We thought of going to bed early the first night to wake up early the following morning to see sunrise at Angkor Wat but there were lots of banging and chopping noises coming from above. My husband and son were too bothered by the noise to sleep well so they couldn't wake up for sunrise. Initially we thought the noise was from the room itself but we realised the floors and walls were very thin. We brought the issue up with the manager who did his best to bring the noise level down. The second night was better but we went to bed late after shopping in town so the kitchen was probably shut by then. The manager said he will bring up the issue with the owner but I don't know if anything will be/has been done. We asked to change rooms but were told it was full over the holiday period. If you intend to book the family room and wish to go to bed early because of young children, I suggest you request for a family room on the second floor (e.g. 205) which is away from the kitchen. Room 105 is the massage room.

5) The light coloured tiled floors of the bedrooms could do with a good scrub or mop.

Room Tip: For a family room, ask for room 205. We had room 305 which was directly below the kitchen and it was...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family