“great escape”

Ranked #50 of 356 Hotels in Siem Reap
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“great escape”
Reviewed 2 January 2012

We visited Siem Reap in mid December and can't say enough about how wonderful our stay was at Bunwin Boutique Hotel. We travel extensively and always expect some sort of difficulty or challenge along the way, but were pleasantly surprised at every turn by the Bunwin hotel . I agree with many of the other reviews that it is the fantastic staff that really made the difference. We were greeted at the airport and upon arrival at the hotel with a cool towel and a cool drink (even at 11:30pm!), given some information about the area and then shown to our huge and comfortable room! The layout of the room was quite nice with a small sitting area, behind the bed and a long table to put all of our stuff on. The shower was lovely and had a nice spa feel to it with a rain shower head. The next day the staff arranged for a guide and a tuk tuk driver to take us around to the temples. Both were excellent! Our guide Mr. Nol was very knowledgeable about all the temples and history and recommended a great plan to see the places we wanted to see. He timed everything perfectly so we were able to see the sunset on the top of the hill. Our tuk tuk driver Mr. Sen was always smiling and had a cooler full of cold water which was was much appreciated during a long day of hiking in the sun. We hired him for a few more days to drive us to some of the temples that were further out. Both gentleman were very professional, courteous and helpful and made our touring very enjoyable. When we returned the hotel staff asked how our day was and wanted to make sure we were happy with the tour service. Everyone on the Bunwin staff was so friendly and helpful The managers would often stop and chat with us and would always take time to take care of anything we needed right away. We ate at the restaurant a few times - breakfast was tasty with several choices and dinner was also excellent with both local and western choices. We could hear the chef chopping vegetables in the kitchen so we knew everything was fresh! The hotel provides a free tuk tuk service to town whenever you want to go and gives you a phone to call them to come and get you when you are ready to come back. The hotel is off a busy road a bit away from the town, but having a free ride made it really easy to get around and we had no problem getting anywhere we needed to go, including to a popular but somewhard hard to find restaurant! Siem Reap is actually pretty small and you can actually walk pretty much anywhere you want (we did) but everyone on the staff including the managers were always willing to grab the tuk tuk keys and drive us. Now that is great service! We actually liked being a little bit away from the town as it was very peaceful. The hotel is located right in a local neighborhood with farmers living across the street and local families around which gave us some local color as well, but is a block off a busy main road. On our last night we passed a group of school children singing christmas carols at the VIetnamese school just down the road from the hotel. The most amazing part of our visit was actually on departure. Our last night the owner of the hotel threw a party for the hard working staff since it was the one night that week that they didn't have any guests before the holiday rush. The whole staff was there and they all came out to the car to say goodbye to us, wishing us good trip and to come back soon. We will never forget that warm sendoff and definitely will return.

In short, we had a wonderful time at Bunwin Boutique and would highly recommend it. We understand they are opening a sister hotel soon and if the Bunwin is any indication, it should be excellent as well. We agree that a shelf in the shower for toiletries would be great, but otherwise the care and attention that Bunwin staff shows to its guests is marvelous, and perhaps equally importantly, the attention they show to the wonderful pool, restful garden, and peaceful restaurant and bar, was much appreciated. Cambodia is a wondeful country to visit, and Bunwin made it even better.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Azhan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 30 December 2011

Ok, lets get the only negative out of the way - its located off the main road down a bumpy and dusty dirt road. The 1 minute ride in the tuk tuk was a bit too bumpy.

But everything else was just awesome!! At reception they greet you with a nice local punch and wash cloth. The design is Baliesque shiek - very cool. The room was huge! Bed very comfy. The shower was one of the neatest I've ever seen (only other complaint is there was nowhere to place soap/shampoo but on the floor of the shower so one has to crouch to the ground for soap).

The staff was attentive, friendly and spoke good English. Small property with a refreshing pool to use after sightseeing. Highly recommend this property.

Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank OC_Adventurer
boutique59, Manager at Bunwin Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 1 January 2012
We have read your nice wording of the view posted and we take note well regarding a place the soap to be placed.

Our team is to shortly discuss how we are going to do to assure it is nice and convenient.

Have a prosperous 2012 and Happy New Year

Bunwin Boutique Hotel's Team
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 23 December 2011

There's so much to see and do in and around Siem Ream... floating villages, quad-biking, eating and drinking, shopping, scenic helicopter flights, and of course the temples... SO many temples.

We loved all of it. But at the very heart of our love for the place is the Bunwin Boutique Hotel.

From the moment we were met at the airport by the tuk-tuk driver, to the moment we were delivered back there, the whole experience was fantastic.

It's a lovely little hotel with only 10 spacious rooms clustered around a beautiful tropical swimming pool in a very quiet part of town which is only 10 minutes to the busy old part of town. The hotel provides free tuk-tuk transfers into town and they give you a mobile phone so you can call them when you're ready to come home. Brilliant service. And it's free!

The breakfasts in the lovely little open restaurant overlooking the pool were great. Freshly baked breads, croissants and pastries and options for western or asian hot food. If you head out to catch sunrise at the temples the hotel will make you a small breakfast pack to take with you. It's basic but a lovely touch. Lunch in the restaurant was equally excellent with local delicacies on offer as well as western style burgers, sandwiches and hot mains.

The reception desk will book any tours you want to see the sights and are extremely friendly and efficient... which brings me to the best feature of the hotel: the staff.

The staff are amongst the most friendly and accommodating that we've encountered anywhere in the world. Impeccable English and wonderfully high standards for such a small establishment. They made the difference. We owe them a big thankyou for making our stay perfect in every way.

We're already planning a return visit to see more of the temples... and we'll certainly be booking the Bunwin again and recommending it to all our friends.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank wilbur101
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 13 December 2011

Upon arriving, We were greeted with a welcome drink by friendly but polite staff. The room was spacious and beautifully decorated. As other reviewers mentioned, they offer free transportation service (They give you a cell phone so that you can call them when you need to be picked up. What a great service!). The breakfast room gets nice morning sunshine. We enjoyed delicious breakfast enjoying the sun and sounds of birds. I didn't feel stress at all staying in this hotel: Everything was well prepared and just great. I would strongly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank SFTraveler94123
Sydney
Reviewed 12 December 2011

Like most of the reviewers here, I am extremely satisfied with the Bunwin,

The service of Bunwin is something that I would expect from a top notch hotel back in Australia. From the moment we set foot to the moment they send us off, they have always been attentive, friendly and professional. The staff made the effort to know us by name and were always able to address our requests which included booking for buses, tuk tuks, and express laundry service.

Hotel itself was well maintained and clean. Every second time I walk past the reception, there would be someone sweeping, cleaning the pool or doing some gardening. The small size of hotel (not more than 15 rooms-my guess) gives you a sense of privacy and a tranquil secluded atmosphere. Which is quite a nice break from the hustle of Siem Reap.

All the rooms are on the ground floor and are decently sized. The only minor negativity that I could think of is the shower area which seemed to drain water very slowly and can sometimes flood the bathroom. Also the door of the bathroom swings inwards into the toilet which is ergonomically awkward. A sliding door perhaps would be more ideal.

Location wise the hotel is about 5 mins drive from the main hub of the main tourist district. But don't let that deter you from booking, they make it up by providing a free tuk tuk shuttle service to and from and around the hotel. Before you head out they give you a mobile phone, so whenever you're in the city and need a pick up either back to the hotel or down the road just give them a buzz and they'll send their tuk tuk to pick you up.

For breakfast, they cater for western as well as Asian travellers. The western style breakfast is the typical eggs with sausages and bacon with a very generous serving of surprisingly fresh croissants and toast.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank feffery
Leipzig, Germany
Reviewed 10 December 2011

Well, when i first read the reviews about this hotel on tripadvisor at the beginning of october, i thought that these reviews might have been planted, as all of them were raving about how good this hotel is. Well, i can assure you, there were not planted. These people just liked they stay so much, that they had to write a review about it. This hotel is really outstanding, believe me :)

In detail:

Before i arrived i wrote an email to the hotel that i would like to use their complimentary airport transfer and told them the time of my flight arrival. Well, due to the not so punctual Lao airlines flight, i arrived some two hours late and was greeted by someone from the hotel, who introduced himself personally and escorted me to his (hotel) tuk tuk. This was when i first realized that something is different here, when i was handed some cold towels and some water for refreshment to get settled again, after my flight. While the tuk tuk drive to the hotel was long (as every tuk tuk in cambodia is ever so slow), i was delighted when i was warmly welcomed at the hotel again, which is not really strategically located a bit out of the city center at the end of a bumpy dirt road, but in a very quiet place, which makes sure that you can sleep in your room or lie by the pool, without being disturbed by any noise.

As i said, the hotel is a bit located away from everything, thats why you will need transfer options (i you don't want to walk). The hotel will not only bring you to every place in town, just whenever you require this service, they will also give you cellphone, to call them when you want to get picked up again. This can save a certain amount of money, as the tuk tuk prices in SR are not that low. The services runs until 11 p.m. i think, which is probably long enough for the majority of guests. I should also add that i was told that two of my "not really" complaints will be rectified in the future. The hotel is not only planning on paving the dirt road from the main road to the hotel (which will make it more comfortable to get there), but also bought a old mercedes (i guess S-Class, as they said its an old royal mobile) for the airport pickups. I guess that will be nice. They also have a jeep already and sometimes provide the transfer services to the city with the jeep, which i loved every time when i had the pleasure to go with it. Thanks a lot again to the hotel staff and the manager, for bringing me to the bus station as a last ride on the last day of my stay ! Appreciated it very much !

The hotel itself is not really big, but big enough for the small number of guests that can stay at one time in the hotel. It has a nice and airy entrance hall, with a second floor where the breakfast can be had (until 11 i think, if you are late) and which has enough seats for the number of guests (something i really like in a hotel). The breakfast room is strategically located, so that you can look outside to the pool or the garden of the hotel. The pool is directly located after the front house with a bar directly located to the direction of the pool and all rooms are scattered around the pool, so that you should have a direct look from every "bungalow" to the pool.

The breakfast is no buffet, but of an order type, where you can have continental, american and asian breakfast, all of very high quality. I really enjoyed the bakery items which were made by the blue pumpkin bakery and which were of higher quality than a lot of the stuff in europe itself and also the omelette, which was very good, every day i tried it. The only thing that i would like to see is some more selection on the jam for the continental breakfast. While the jam is really good, i would like to see some more variation to it.

While the breakfast room and the breakfast is of very high quality and can make the breakfast a real treat every morning, this was not what made me stay every day a bit longer for breakfast, than i usually do. The reason why i really enjoyed staying a bit longer for breakfast was the restaurant manager Song. He is a real nice guy, who is looking after his guests at the breakfast, to make sure that they have everything they need and that the high quality of the breakfast is warranted. He speaks very good english, likes to chat with his guests and makes a very good partner for an interesting discussion on a lot of topics. He was also not to shy to join me for a beer in pub street on one evening, which turned out to be one of the best evenings i had in Siem Reap.

Well, to mention only one person would be a bit a bit of a shame, as everyone in this hotel is not only really friendly, but really trying to make you sure that you have everything you need. I must say that i often had a feeling that the staff really wants you to feel at home and that they try everything to make everything perfect for you. I don't often have the feeling that this genuine, but here i had it very often. I must express my thanks again to the staff for making my for 4 night stay so wonderful, providing an excellent service, while some of them were going an extra mile to provide something that is really beyond what i would call customer service (my special thanks to my "jeep driver", i forgot your name, but thanks very much again for everything).

To complete my review, i will write some words about the rooms: Like the whole hotel they have a very distinctive style, which you might like or not. If you can live with the minimalistic style, the rooms are very nice. Everything is there, with every amenity you could wish for. They have a comfortable and big enough bed, which could be a tad harder for my liking, but provided a good sleep. They have a very nice rain shower, which had only one problem, that there is no place where you can put your soap, but the ground. I must also add, that while the concept of having the soap in an own bottle, is very nice and fits the style, it was never refilled in my 4 nights stay and was simply empty on the last day. While liked the room very much, as it was big and airy and it has a very nice and timeless style, i had a problem with the light in my room. While it was a bit to dark at night, which could easily be fixed with some stronger light bulbs, it was certainly to bright in the morning, as the curtains do not provide much shelter from the light outside. But i was told they are going to be replaced, so maybe this is a thing of the past.

Well, all in all i found the stay fantastic. I really loved the hotel, the garden, the lovely pool, i could not have felt better, as the staff really cared around the clock for me. As the hotel is also very small, with very few rooms and guests, it gives you also a certain feel of exclusivity, which i is directly supported by the really high staff : guest ratio, which sometimes made me feel, as if they are as many staff around as guests. Certainly not a bad thing, especially if they are all so nice.

So, all in all...believe the reviews ! They are some really minor niggles, as in every hotel, but all in all i couldn't have enjoyed my stay here more ! It was really my best hotel in 4 weeks Laos, Cambodia and Thailand and certainly not the most expensive one. If i would choose on how my dream hotel should look like, i would certainly model it after the Bunwin experience. These people really know how to create a good experience for the guest and what i really found amazing, they don't stop here. They are always looking for suggestions to understand the needs from the guests better and to constantly make everything better.

Highly recommended !

Daniel G.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank 3d-razor
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 5 December 2011

The customer service in this hotel is simply amazing. On top of the free pick up from the airport/bus station to the hotel, they also provide free transportation (via tuk tuk or jeep) to and from the city 24 hours a day, to prevent their guests from being ripped off by the local tuk-tuks. To make things even more convenient, they provide cell phones with local numbers that the guests can use for free to call the hotel for a pick up whenever and wherever they are in the city.

The staffs are very smiley, friendly, and helpful. The rooms are spacious and clean. The hotel's environment is very quiet, peaceful and serene, Bali-like atmosphere.

Overall, I had a fantastic experience staying at Bunwin hotel. The customer service here is definitely off the chart. The free transportation to wherever you want to go 24 hours a day, makes up for the fact that the hotel is located just slightly out of the city area.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends