“Don't Bother!”

Ranked #182 of 353 Hotels in Siem Reap
Queensland, Australia
“Don't Bother!”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We stayed at the Samar Villas for 4 nights over New Years and I couldn't ever recommend it to anybody! For what claims to be a luxury hotel they really need to start dealing with and treating people better. Our room was ok but very dark and lacked privacy and while the location of the hotel for the temples was good, thats as far as it goes. From the minute we arrived there was a constant stream of issues from our fridge not working, internet connection not working, spa not open when it was supposed to be, the owner trying to charge for the tuk tuk to the town centre which, according to their website, was free. It only got worse and to be honest the list of issues with this hotel is so long I could write a book! When we booked we weren't informed of the compulsory dinner for New Years Eve, and to be honest we had expected there to be a compulsory dinner in every hotel and were more than happy to attend. The entertainment was great, food was pretty average, however the French owner hosted the night in French and given a number of guests couldn't speak the language I'm not sure why he thought this was appropriate. We're pretty easy going and travel quite a bit and have never been so shocked by the behaviour by the management at this hotel. My husband even overheard the owner telling the staff to ignore us as all we did was complain! Don't even bother going here as there are so many better hotels in Siem Reap and if we had the choice I would have happily moved to one of them rather than have to stay at the Samar Villas!

15 Thank where_next_76
cp2812, Propriétaire at The SAMAR Villa & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
Dear Sir,

The feedback posted on Trip Advisor allows oneself to build an opinion about the quality of a hotel and we are particularly attentive to the remarks which enable us to fine tune the quality of our service or of our facilities.

I would think that the persons who will read your comment written five months after your visit to Samar Villas will immediately understand that this is a message whose sole purpose is to harm our outstanding reputation!

Our hotel has been opened for two years, it is perfectly maintained on a daily basis, bedding is of a high quality and our design amongst the most refined in the city, which has been highlighted in the vast majority of the numerous articles published in the most prestigious titles of the international press and in the feedback from our customers.

I invite you to take the time to read the 104 positive comments posted freely by our customers, which have earned us in 2012 and in 2013 Trip Advisor's Certificate of Excellence and in 2013 their Traveller's Choice distinction.

Like all hotels in Siem Reap, Christmas' Eve and New Year's Eve dinners are mandatory, which is stated in our terms of sale.

The show, whose quality you seem to have appreciated, is presented in French by a member of our team and in English by another person, our clientele being predominantly English-speaking.

Internet: We have a fiber optic Internet connection. As everywhere else in the world there are cuts, but they never exceed 30 minutes.

Our spa is open daily from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. and outside of these hours by appointment only.

At Samar Villas, a small hotel with 9 rooms, all guests are greeted "like at home": it is our operating philosophy since the day we opened. I am truly sorry that this style of operation enjoyed by all our customers fell flat with your group.

CP

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Polish first
Ubud, Indonesia
Reviewed 24 April 2013

It comes down to all nice images and a good website, the reality is a hotel run by amateurs. The suite consisted of mosquitos, a cat in the bathroom, the fridge not working, their flatscreen tv is a joke, probably the first model ever brought out. If you would pay 50usd for this hotel it would be fine, but not at prices in excess of 135 usd. Most of the staff hardly speak English, no room service menu in the room. The manager; a french guy came in and was completely useless, no problem solving skills whatsoever, just sending staff over who dont speak english. I am so happy I only booked one night at this place, am amazed by the amount of amateurs operating so called sophisticated boutique hotels

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
15 Thank Deepsapphyr
chris2812, Owner at The SAMAR Villa & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 26 April 2013
Dear Sir,
Our hotel, Samar Villas is considered by the majority of our customers who stayed from the opening in October 2010 as 'a beautifully decorated home with rosewood furniture, antiques and equipped with every comfort' quoted from comments posted freely by individuals whom we had the pleasure and honor to host.

It is unfortunate that you have not been aware of all these refined decoration details.

I will go through your comments point by point:

• Mosquitos:
Once a week, the pest control company comes to treat the garden and the rooms. For a person, who lives on the island of Bali, you should know that it is impossible to eradicate all mosquitoes in tropical places. Every day, our housekeeping service use a mosquito repellent for all rooms to keep mosquito away.
With this current drought period there are very little mosquitos and to say that the room "consisted" of mosquitos is highly exaggerated.

• Refrigerator:
We have investigated this and found that the refrigerator was unplugged, most probably accidentally unplugged by the cleaners when cleaning the room, please accept my sincere apologies.

• TV:
It is a Toshiba TV from with integrated LCD bought a year ago, which allows our customers to view the programs that they wish.
The programs that we receive are cable, transmission quality is not always great but this is the only current means available in this country.

• English of the staff:
Cambodia is an emerging country, all these young people are certainly not perfectly bilingual, but they compensate for their small lacks with the warmth of their permanent smile.

• room service menu:
As we are a small hotel, we offer a phone menu in the room where you can call the kitchen to order whichever food you desire.

Dear Sir,

According to your reservation, we were expecting two people.
I do not know what could disrupt your initial plans as you only came by yourself, but I think the behavior you had in respect of all of our young staff and myself is not what we would expect from a person who presents and regards himself as the leader for the distribution of food in South East Asia.

I will also refrain from deferring the serious defamatory remarks you made against one of my friends & provider of all good local restaurants who is honorably known as the world leader in the distribution of foie gras from Perigord in Cambodia and throughout the former Indochina for the quality of his products.
Our philosophy is to receive "at home" and be available to all our customers from breakfast time to bedtime and that is what transpires through the majority of comments on TRIP ADVISOR.
Melbourne
Reviewed 19 April 2013

I was given the room on the Top left hand side, at the far end of the row, which looked really lovely. Unfortunately I arrived after a wet period and there were a number of repairs taking place, and I had a number of leaks from the ceiling in my room. I was trying to sleep and had major construction noise from company directly behind the hotel, and also from repairmen on my roof and hammering away on the side of the room. I asked to be moved however no other room was apparently available. I then decided to leave the hotel and requested a refund for the additional nights I had booked, I was happy to pay for the first night I had booked, even though I left within hours. The owner refused to give me any refund on the additional nights, saying that I had to go back through the booking website to get the refund. The booking website said I had to get the refund from the owner - so in the end, no refund and not happy!

Room Tip: Definitely steer clear of all rooms towards the end of the resort in case the construction company b...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank Aussie-Bin-Travelin
chris2812, Owner at The SAMAR Villa & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 21 April 2013
Your anonymous comment post April 19, 2013 for a stay in September 2012 ….. eight months ago.
We have never received any letter or mail from you on this problem, we had just search on our reservation system, but I cannot seem to identify your file.

From the opening of the Samar Villas Resort on the October 2010, there is no construction going on near Samar.
There is also no construction company near Samar Villas Resort too, only private houses.

In September 2012, following a violent storms and torrential rains, some roof tiles were damaged.
We have the necessary work to repair this problem.

These works were only taken place after all clients have taken the breakfast and were finished before sunset.
I am sincerely sorry that this inconvenience could disrupt your stay,

The small leak happened in the bathroom and not in the bedrooms.

The reservation of your room is from an online site at a discounted price, cancellation of unused nights should effectively be made with online services on this site, the settlement of rooms involved after the departure of customers. Unfortunately the client did not do so until much later.

We would like you to send us an email with all details. With the information, I should be able to find your file, which will allow me to do check with the website online why the cancelled nights booked have not been repaid. If the money is with us, we will be glad to refund the money.

I invite you to read the feedback from our customers on TRIP ADVISOR, you will see that we are attentive to every need of the customers and do our best to satisfy them.

Samar is a place of great quietude, a large house of 9 rooms or we get "Like at home"

Best regards,
Grand Junction, Colorado
Reviewed 4 April 2013

We stayed at Samar Villas during our trip to Angkor Wat, and we never anticipated what a strong mark the boutique would leave on us. We went to see Angkor not giving all that much to where we stayed. What we discovered was an oasis tucked away in Siem Reap. The grounds are beautiful, the food is outstanding, and the character of the villas is impossible not to notice.

Samar Villas is filled with unique antiquities that separate it from the run of the mill resort. Everything has a story waiting to be unveiled, and the staff are more than willing to share. The Khmer are an incredible group of people, and it seems Samar has gone above and beyond to find the kindest most genuine of all. My fiance and I had a great time getting to know the help, and made some incredible friends.

It goes without saying that whenever we travel to Siem Reap, we'll be staying at Samar Villas! Thanks for everything!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Deutschland
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Great little Hotel with only 8 rooms. The staff was very nice and helpful with everything from booking tuktuks or having bicycles delivered to the Hotel as well as helpful advice for the temples (some Reviews mention free tuktuks, this service seems to have been terminated). We stayed at the Villa which is very spacious with a private terrace and additional outdoor bathtub and shower. Samar is a bit out of town, so if you want to get away from the usual tourists in Pub Street or american travelgroups in the big luxury Hotels this is an excellent place. Good Deals on massages, which are very welcome after a day visiting the temples.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Indonesia
Reviewed 5 February 2013

I was relieved when I stepped into the hotel lobby. You always take a risk or two when you book a boutique hotel, so I was happy that it looked as good as advertised. It is indeed a very pretty and quaint place - Christian and Bertrand do take a lot of pride in their property and have also trained their staff very well. So no complaints when it came to daily service from the hotel staff. They are very friendly and try to accommodate your requests as best they can.

The only complaint I have about the living quarters is that the bedroom was too dark - wood from floor to ceiling (I understand that it is Khmer style), and they have spotlights instead of soothing bedroom lighting, so there is a glare when you lie in bed, which makes it hard to read, watch tv or relax. Other than that, I loved the bathroom and the suite that I had was clean.

Breakfast overall is not bad - but they serve the same thing everyday. Their croissants and pastries at breakfast were good, but because we were there for 5 days we got a bit tired after day 3. One our second last day we asked the staff to prepare us local breakfast for the remaining 2 days and she so kindly obliged. We thoroughly enjoyed having noodle soup and porridge for the rest of our stay. So kudos to the great staff for their fab service and hospitality.

The one major complaint that I have about this hotel is that the owner (Christian), is quite quirky, which made our 5-day stay rather uncomfortable. We were there for the marathon, and because it was a 5-night stay, we went out on our first day to buy several large bottles of mineral water (which is something I like to do when I travel, even in the most expensive of hotels). We were taken aback when we arrived back in the lobby because Christian was there and he told us off for having to buy water outside - 'do you think that this is a quest-house??', he said, rather loudly, followed by vigorous arm waving. That was after he sternly told our friend (another couple staying with us) that he could not keep his rather expensive folding bike in his room (and when our friend said that he would keep it in the bike bag, Christian got the reception to call his room immediately upon check in to reiterate that HE WAS NOT TO TAKE THE BIKE OUT OF THE BAG). I can understand if there were house rules (though buying own water should not be one of them), but the delivery of message (especially since you are in the service industry) should be a lot more kinder. We are not difficult or demanding patrons - we like to try out boutique hotels for the homey feel and opportunity to bond with their owners, so this was a major letdown. You are also not allowed to eat in the rooms - you have to eat in the terrace where there is a table and 2 chairs.

Bertrand (the son), however, is a more pleasant host. After our first 2 encounters with Christian we were on our tiptoes the rest of our stay for fear of pissing him off further but managed to share a few jokes with Bertrand.

We did witness Christian show concern and immediate assistance to a guest who was injured from a biking tour though - so I guess he is not all that bad. Just that he likes things done his way, and will not have an issue reprimanding you, even if you are the guest.

So unfortunately, because there are many more hotels to choose from in Siem Reap - I probably won't stay here again.

8 Thank walkingheels
cp2812, Owner at The SAMAR Villa & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 7 February 2013
The report on your stay in our hotel is not a reflection of the fact
Upon your arrival, you were in the middle of the lobby to assemble your bike, although this is not normal, we did not say anything.
Then you wanted to put this bike in your suite, effectively I refused, as your apartment is decorated with rosewood furniture and sofas covered with bright fabrics which can be accidentally soiled by a bicycle, not necessary by you but by the staff. It will also cause inconvenience to the cleaning staff as well as your own personal safety as your room does not really have the proper place to store a bicycle. We had other guests who came for the marathon as well and they stored their bicycle with us without any issue.
As for the bottle water issue, you did not came to Samar with just “several” bottles of water, but with several jumbo packs of water(12x1.5liters)per pack X 4 = 48 big bottles, which is hardly acceptable in a luxury hotel. We had a guest who bought in a pack of waters before and the leakage from one of the bottle leave marking on the wooden floor in the room.
If it was water for a marathon, it will be easier if you entrust us to keep in our reserve.
Breakfast is a la carte:
• - Fresh fruit platter
• -homemade yogurt
• -Tray of croissants, chocolate rolls, various breads which are all homemade
• -Homemade jams
• -Eggs of your choice with bacon, ham or sausages
• -A choice of 10 teas
• -A choice of 6 coffees
Realizing that the choice of American breakfast cannot correspond to your habits, we have prepared the breakfasts, Asian noodles with soup and etc ... that you requested without additional charge.
During the weekend of the marathon, we had other clients who participated to this sporting event as well. One of them was injured during a falls and we took great care of him, which is absolutely normal.The comments of these two brothers thanks us on TRIP ADVISOR for the friendliness and kindness of our staff as well as our attentive presence from breakfast to bedtime.
I am very sorry with fully understand - and respect - your point of view, and sincerely regret that your stay at the Samar Villas & Spa Resort did not live up to your expectations.
I'm sorry, my mother tongue is French. My answer in English cannot be perfect

London,England
Reviewed 16 January 2013

Stayed in the Founan apartment. Splashed out as a special occasion but really really disappointed.

Room was big but nowhere near the standards expected for the price bracket they were charging - especially for Cambodia where accommodation is generally a lot cheaper than elsewhere.

Air conditioning was feeble and did not even cool the room down after being on all night. We had to sleep with no covers on each night as it became unbearably hot. Takes about an hour to 2 hours to cool down to a less than scorching level and the cleaning staff then turn off all the fans and air conditioning when we leave to leave the room baking when we come back again.

Nobody answers the phone ever on reception when using the phone so we have to walk across to speak to them. Ordered room service (in person) only to then be told that they don't allow us to eat the food inside as it 'makes the room smell' and would like us to eat outside on the porch (at 2100 at night with lots of mosquitoes!!).

Cleaners failed to top up the shower gel on 2 occasions leaving us to go to reception in person again to ask for shower gel. No hand soap to wash hands (hence using the shower gel) and asked for hand soap only to be told that they don't have any yet have them bring it 5 minutes later....

The floor has wooden planks of which big splinters come up and catch your feet.

Loud wedding noises from 2 day weddings (which albeit it is not their fault but still disturbs the peace!).

Very disappointed and would definitely not recommend to others or go back there.

8 Thank HOLIDAYS8378
cp2812, Owner at The SAMAR Villa & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 18 January 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your personal observations regarding your stay at The Samar Villas & Spa resort. Your opinion is very valuable in helping us to maintain a high level of service to our guests.

Your complaint comes the day we just had the joy of receiving from TRIP ADVISOR the following Email:

Congratulations!
The SAMAR Villa & Spa Resort has won several awards Travelers' Choice 2013:
Top 15 Small Hotels in Cambodia
& Top 25 hotels for service quality in Cambodia

Your severe comments, is not the perception of the majority of people who have stayed at Samar Villas and especially from guests who stay in the apartment Fou Nan.
I invite you to take the time to read their messages of thanks.
Below I will respond point by point to your remarks.
The Apartment of Villa Fou-Nan is a traditional Khmer house featuring a large designer living area : Room size : 72.00 sqm - Balcony : 09.00 sqm – Total 81 sqm is equipped with a king size bed, a deep sofa, Art Deco fournitures, armchairs and table and a view over the tropical garden and the front of the Samar Villas & Spa Resort.
Furnishings, in a subtlety blended cameo of greys ranging from very dark to very light, include colonial furniture, pieces of Cambodian art and original etchings and collages by Yves Saint Laurent. In the entrance to the dressing room, a collection of original Art Photography of famous English photographer Leynaert. The balcony where you will take your breakfast on request.

I am sincerely sorry that you do not appreciate your stay in the middle of this important collection which is appreciated by all our customers.

Concerning the centennial teak floor: a group of journalists wrote in their reportage that this is not an apartment hotel, but a small museum, with special mention for the quality of the Centennial teak floor, marveling on the boards of 30 centimeters wide patinated by years

Concerning the soap: When our customers arrive, we offer them a welcome drink and fragrant cold towel. After, the receptionist offers them a choice of three organic soaps: ginger, lemon grass & mangosteen. Not a little soap - as in many hotels - but a soap of 150 grams which can be used for at least two weeks.
Daily, housekeeping services fulfill the vials: shower gel, shampoo & conditioner. If necessary and upon request we complement in the day if customers take showers.

Concerning room service: Indeed, we do not want meals are served inside the room. All apartments and suites are equipped with comfortable terraced ventilated by large fans. These terraces are intended for reading and for meal service. This decision was taken in order to avoid the proliferation of insects, which is not easy to manage in the hot tropical climate of Cambodia.

Regarding the price of this apartment of 81 square meters: I regularly checked the prices of the local market. No Siem Reap hotel does not offer to its customers an apartment in one of the oldest and most beautiful authentic Khmer house equipped with a collection of this magnitude. You pay for your stay of 3 nights U.S. $ 244.85 per night via an online reservation site, which represents a 30% discount on the public price during the busy period of the Christmas festivities. It is not the price of a standard room during this period in a hotel chain in the city, in a hotel without any charm.

I'm sorry, my mother tongue is French. My answer in English cannot be perfect