“Gone wrong from the start”
Review of Avie Moriya Villa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Siem Reap
Avie Moriya Villa
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Arrived too early for check in but we headed over to the hotel to try and check if the rooms are available anyways because we requested for early check in upon booking the rooms. When we arrive, the owner (I think his name is Luca) was sleeping on the couch at the reception but we couldn't see him. He jumped up when we press the bell (Just one ring). We said sorry and told him that we arrived early and asked if our rooms were ready since we had already requested for early check in. He said that we were too early and ask us to return about 2-3 hours later. We said ok and walked towards the bar beside the reception to put down our bags and the girls went to the washroom while my boyfriend took of our belongings. We didn't want to bother him so we looked for the washroom ourselves and next we know, he shouted "What are you doing!? My bathroom is the other way" we walked pass him and he smells like beer. 3 girls including me went to the washroom together because we wanted to queue and wait for each other and he comment loudly again "One at a time!" I thought, of course we know. we just wanted to queue and wait for each other.

After finishing, we went to the bar area and sot our things a little. He got frustrated again and mumbled something before he magically made 2 rooms for us and let us check in. When I was taking the keys from him, he mumbled something and all I could hear was "..... .... F up people" wow... We already agreed to come back later.. we just wanted to use the washroom. We did not force him to search for a room immediately. We don't know why he was so rude to us.

Knowing that perhaps the room he gave us was not what we booked, we took them anyway because we didn't want to make things even more unpleasant and we're only staying for 1 night. He mumbled some questions to my friend and she couldn't hear him then when she asked what he said, he replied " Nothing nothing. Just get lost" My friend almost lost it.

When I got into my room, the room itself was normal. But the toilet was very small and there was a notice there, "Do not flush the toilet paper into the toilet bowl" we followed anyways because we didn't want to create more trouble. There was no fridge in the room. Non of our plugs were working at first. We were so terrified that we didn't dare to ask him for help until we saw the person on duty had changed to a local and he fixed it for us. The aircon was weaker than my hand held fan.. it was the first time I perspire in a hotel room without even doing anything. I thought that it was our problem but apparently my friend's room was also the same. We found some reviews later that it has been faulty for quite some time but they did not do anything about it...

The only good thing about this hotel (which is depends on how you see) is that it takes a 10-15mins walk to the market area as. We wanted to change a hotel and there were so many more choices nearer for maybe the same and perhaps cheaper price but we stayed since we already booked, only staying for 1 night and wont be spending much time there except sleeping.

It was lucky that we kept our cool and swallowed his rudeness because we know that maybe he's drunk. Overall, I think that we did not have a pleasant stay. I am only giving them 2 stars for service because his worker, a local was good. I would recommend people to look for other options before choosing this one.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank JessHuan

Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for three nights and was welcomed by Luca. The italian is very friendly and I felt comfortable from the first moment. I visited the Angkor Temples with the nice TukTuk driver Bunny and had a beautiful day.The rooms are quite big and clean; TV and A/C were working well. The guesthouse is in a quiet street (little bit dark in the night) close to the Pub Street and night market. Unfortunately my breakfast was not included and I payed 1 USD for a coffee-but it was a really good one. I really recommend this place.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 June 2014

My girlfriend and I (both 25) stayed here for 3 nights and really enjoyed our stay here. Our bus from Sihaunoukville broke down so we arrived at the guesthouse much later than advised, around 1am or so. The night porter was super friendly and quickly took us to our rooms, helping with the bags also. The room was a good size with a TV, good air con and the usual wet room. The TV was great as soon as we checked in I was able to catch a champions league game.

The hotel location is great walking distance to all Siem reaps main attractions. Just across the road is the nicest little cafe called common ground. I'd recommend it for a sandwich and a coffee. The owner was super nice too also checking of we were having s nice time. He also arranged for our tuk tuk and tour guide for Angkor Wat and the tuk tuk to the airport also.
Breakfast was also included I went for a coffee and museli every morning which was nice.

Overall if I'm back in Siem reap I would most definitely stay here again

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed in Avie Moriya because it is located very near to city's attraction.It is a good place for budget traveller as you can walk most of the time if weather permitted.Save a lot on tuk tuk as it is very near to pub street, night market, lucky mall(for all your water needs-we get total of 23 big bottles during our 4 days stay), angkor artisan and cafes.Also,you can get tuk tuk to Angkor Wat arranged by the guest house or just grab one by the road.Nearby cafes are Common & Grounds (American) and The Hive (Australian).Suitable for those who needs coffee fix during morning from 7am to 8.00pm.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 7 April 2014

The room is fairly clean and location is central, but don't expect anything more. The bed was small and uncomfortable, and the linens were threadbare with burn holes and ill-fitted to the bed so were constantly puling off. A/C worked, but had a very noticeable drone. The kettle, seating area/sofa, and snackbar listed on website were absent, and no glasses or amenities. Included breakfast was very small. There is only one wireless router for entire building and the connection in our room was spotty. Their credit card machine was broken, so they only accepted cash while we were there.

During the stay I was hospitalized for 2 nights with dysentery and the room was not cleaned at all, despite my girlfriend specifically asking the manager for a full change of linens. Upon returning we asked to change rooms and the owner refused saying they were fully booked. It was a lie as I checked availability online and they had 2 rooms available. We asked for a change of linens at least and they only bothered to supply a half change. At this point we moved to a better hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Theta_12
Reviewed 28 March 2014

It's just a FANTASTIC place!!!!! Had a great luck by choosing it!!!! Location is great 3 min to Pub Street with lots of bars, restaurants and clubs! The rooms are nice and clean. Take the suit - is amazing! The staff is very friendly and warm welcoming! Luca, the owner, is taking a lot care of customers and makes it sure that they are having a pleasant stay. English breakfast is served in the lounge and you can have a very good itallian coffee. Tuck-Tuck you can take directly from the hotel, just ask at the reception, to all the attractions and beautiful countryside! Just enjoy your stay there!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for three nights, we found the rooms to be a good standard compared to similar guesthouses we had stayed at in Thailand. The rooms were cleaned every day and the bed was really soft and comfortable. We had A/C, TV and wifi, we found the wifi to be very good.

Would have liked a fridge to keep drinks cool given the hot temperatures. Also I would have liked a safe, there isn't one in the rooms or communal areas. On asking the owner he said 'ah don't worry', I understand that he felt our belongings would be safe, but I like a little extra security! Also had to pay in cash as the card machine was broke.

We got a flight to Cambodia and I emailed the owner as booking.com stated that there was free transport from the hotel for stays more than two nights. We stepped off the plane very stressed (as we nearly missed it) but were welcomed by Bunny the hotels Tuk Tuk driver who was lovely! Within minutes we felt completely at ease with him and enjoyed the views from his Tuk Tuk!

The owner has lots of information about the local area, should you need any tips. Personally I wouldn't stay in this hotel if I was travelling alone, although it is near to Pub St you have to go down quite a long unlit road, which I am sure is perfectly safe but I wouldn't have felt comfortable walking it on my own.

The location in general is good, it's not too far from the central area with loads of restaurants, bars and market stalls. Overall it was a good stay and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple