“Relaxed, simple and yummy”
Review of Green Star ( Not for Profit ) - CLOSED

Green Star ( Not for Profit )
Price range: US$2 - US$8
Cuisines: Cambodian
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Located close to town in a quiet side street, Green Star Restaurant offers authentic Khmer meals at local prices.Hygienic, MSG free and western-belly friendly, the Green Star menu includes a range of tasty and affordable Khmer dishes, with Anchor beer sold by the jug. Eat with the locals,Expats & travellers, away from the tourist strip. 100% of the profits support former street beggar kids through the Green Gecko Project.
Toora, Australia
“Relaxed, simple and yummy”
Reviewed 13 August 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed a visit to the Green Star on my last night in Siem Reap and would have eaten there again if I'd had longer. The menu was enticing and I enjoyed my stir fired frog with ginger. House white was a clean, crisp and a thoroughly acceptable drop. Cheap and cheerful. Dont expect swanky ambience, this is casual dining. Also, got chatting to an NGO at a neighbouring table and he commented that the project which Green Star is a part of are a genuinely good grass roots organisation. Restaurant profits go to Green Gecko which houses & supports some 70+ former street kids and through its Outreach Program, their families. Makes enjoying a meal there even better!

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank misskja
Dodgy49, Owner at Green Star ( Not for Profit ), responded to this review, 17 August 2012
Relaxed, make yourself at home, casual dining is what we are about coupled with good food at a good price. And yes, the white wine is not bad, but then so is the red .... an Aussie red. And nice of the other .NGO gentleman' at the adjoining table to tell you a little of Green Gecko & acknowledge its work. I owe him a beer if he ever lets me know who he is. Doug & Avee

Singapore
“Was disappointed.”
Reviewed 12 August 2012

It's definitely value for money because of the portion given. It was way too little. There was only a few pieces of meat in all my dishes. I rather pay slightly more for tastier and bigger portions. Did not enjoy the food at all. There are plenty of other alternatives down the street. Was disappointed.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank armani123sg
We are sorry to read you were disappointed with Green Star. Not knowing what dishes you tried it is a little hard to comment. However, I would like to assure you, we do not compromise the quality, quantity or ingredients of our dishes in the interests of price. This is particularly important to us from a number of fronts. In no particular priority order, firstly we want our patrons to have a good experience, secondly, we are also supported by the local Khmer & expat community & they would not accept such a compromise, & thirdly, & possibly the most important, we exist for the sole purpose of supporting the kids of Green Gecko & any compromises could well reflect on our integrity & purpose & by default, reflect poorly on Green Gecko.

Perhaps in the case of your visit we were just not 'your sort of restaurant, but thanks for giving us a try . Doug & Avee
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Good quality food walking distance to Night Market... with goodwill”
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Although not known for it's ambiance, Green Star's staff makes up for it in personality and charm. Service is interested, food quality is terrific. Price can't be beat. Add to it that this non-profit benefits those truly in need? A don't miss in Siem Reap. Owners always present if you have questions

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Kennellyadventure
"Food quality is terrific. Price cant be beat". Well, thank you ........ Doug & Avee
Rome, Italy
“Not superbe....”
Reviewed 8 August 2012

The food and the service was not so nice but maybbe a great cause..
We will not comeback there, but kind people take care there.

Visited July 2012
Sorry to lean you did not find Green Star to your liking but thanks for trying us. Doug & Avee
Singapore
“Value for money!”
Reviewed 7 August 2012

The prices were very reasonable and in fact I thought extremely affordable. The best dish I had was the battered prawn served with a separate small dish of mango salad! Thumbs up! Another recommended dish is the Green Star slices beef with Kampot pepper & fresh lime dipping sauce. The dipping sauce gave the beef a refreshing taste. I want another serving of both dishes! Yummy!

Visited August 2012
1 Thank emel_mel
I think you picked two of my favorite dishes, & so I have to agree with you. Although I am also a huge fan of the Spicy Eggplant with Pork. C'mon back & yes, you will get to try another serving. Take care. Doug & Avee