“Could be better...”

Hak's House Residence
Reviewed 4 April 2013

The staff were helpful.
BEST: Hak's tuk-tuk driver - he is very accommodating and helpful. He helped maximize our Siem Reap trip by helping us go to as many temples as we can in the short amount of time we had. Normally, a one day trip to the temples allow 3 temples to be visited, we were able to visit 6. We got the value of $ we paid for the tour.

DISLIKE: Water smells like pipe rust, so not sure if using it for gargling is safe. Room aircon and current were weak (too hot in the room, while it takes a lot of time to charge gadgets); room & common areas are not very clean (you can see the cobwebs) and there are mosquitoes. I would prefer to have stayed at a walking-distance location from the center/old market. The location of Hak's would need you to take a tuk-tuk go to the city center. Advert says "free drinking water refill, airport/bus pick-up, welcome drink (arrival and check-out)" -- we have not experienced these.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hak's House Residence

Reviewed 17 March 2013

The service here was amazing. Hak emailed us back himself, and was incredibly helpful when asked about transfers from the bus station and ways of getting around The city. The breakfast was included in our room price and it was very good. Well worth the money. Only criticism would be the drainage in the bathroom, it wasn't very efficient and was slightly annoying at times. However, the beds were clean ad comfortable and as I've already mentioned above, the family were really welcoming and helpful. Also, there was a huge stack of DVDs and a tv for everyone to use. Very nice stay, spent four nights!

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 17 March 2013

I was there for 4 nights in a double room which is about 10 dollars/night. You can easily share it with someone or go to the dorm. Hak is very nice (as all the people there) and helps you instantly, he orders food for you (which is about 2$) or books your bus... of course the hostel is not perfect, but if you have complaints just tell them and they fix it for you. They have wireless which worked pretty good and also available computers for everyone. there is a nice tv in the living room and a lot of DVDs for the evening to share with other people there. The hostel is a "little" bit away from the center (15min walk) which can be a little bit annoying during the hot weather, but yeah... it's also not that bad if you don't mind walking. Enjoy siem reap which is a beautiful place... If you are not really hard into temples I'd recommend you max 2 days visiting temples. After a while you just have enough of them! Tell your tuktuk driver to visit non-tourist places & the countryside, which is way more impressive. Just ask me if you need more advice or the adress of a good tuktuk driver!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 March 2013

My experience seems in line with the other bad reviews of this place. When I got there, my room was not available. I was given a different room later in the day which was well below expectations. The bathroom did not have a shower curtain, which was fine because the shower did not have much force in any case. The water barely trickled down which was far from ideal for taking a shower. The tap in the bathroom sink was broken too, but that seemed in line with the overall low standards of the room. The wifi was not strong enough to reach the rooms, so most ppl gathered down at the lobby to get connected. Hak was not around during my stay, but there was a generally unhappy-looking manager at the front desk. During my stay, I saw few other guests who were unhappy because either their room was double-booked or the room given to them was different from the one they had paid for. As a traveler, that is the last thing you want when you visit a new city. Booking sites should remove this place from their list of accomodation in Siem Reap. The location is not ideal either. About a 15-20 minute walk through narrow road (with heavy vehicular traffic and no pedestrian sidewalk) to the main city areas. The only good thing at Hak's house was the breakfast. But the breakfast does not compensate for the terrible accomodation. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Travel_Legal_Eagle
Reviewed 28 February 2013

Tried Haks House on our arrival at Siem Reap and was not dissapointed... There was a bit of a misunderstanding with the rooms (Not having 2 rooms available on the first night so we had to share a twin.) We actually booked singles online but ended up in a twin and a double the next night - at no extra charge. Not a problem at all really.
The staff and owner are some of the best I have come across while travelling. Hastle free and reliable, they will also save you a lot of money and effort in sorting out travel, tuk tuks and pretty much whatever you need while you are there.
Food was really tasty and reasonably priced for what you got (Including home made chips - which were divine and a welcome change to rice and crabby French fries). Breakfast was served with really nice fresh baguettes & good coffee and was included in the room rate.
Excellent WiFi and the hospitality was some of the most attentive I have come across in guest houses. Will definitely be going back next year!
Thanks Hak & Staff!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 24 February 2013

I had pre-booked and therefore pre-paid my rooms on a hotel booking website. Having read a few other disturbing reviews of others' whose rooms were double-booked, I was somewhat concerned, but chose to stay here for its value and for the amazing reviews of the owner, Hak.

When going to any foreign country, being in the hands of nice people can completely make the experience. Likewise, encounters with terrible people can absolutely break it!

I had already been in town a few days now, and was in the great hands of the Cashew Nut Guest House. Unfortunately, it being a very busy time, the Cashew Nut didn't have rooms for the remainder of my stay - hence this booking.

I would note that I emailed to ask Hak's House info on drivers to Pnomh Penh the week before, and was surprised to get no reply, considering these excellent reviews on service. So I made sure to also call the day before to confirm my booking. A very unfriendly person answered the phone with a simple "hello" - no mention of the guest house name, and assured me that my rooms were booked. Then he asked what time I would arrive - I advised late afternoon at the earliest.

I ended up arriving after 6pm, and was looking forward to an early bedtime since the plan was to go see the sunrise at Angkor Wat the next morning. Much to my surprise, my room WAS double-booked to a previous guest until midnight!

This seemed completely unacceptable considering that I had pre-paid AND called in advance to confirm my time of arrival! I can't tell you how upset I was, especially after being in the heat all day and wanting nothing more than an early bedtime!

The manager, whose name was Jin, gave absolutely no excuse for his knowing mistake. It was too obvious that his only reason to do it was greed and the hope to get away with making extra money on a single room.

Being high season, he could not book us elsewhere, and refused to allow me to speak to Hak, because he was allegedly overseas in Bangkok and had no contact number (a rather disingenuous excuse). He didn't offer us to use his computers or phones or ANYTHING.

This is the LAST thing you need to happen when you are on vacation, and Jin was the ONLY rude and insincere person we met in all of Cambodia. He had absolutely no shame for his attitude.

DO NOT COME HERE! I know lots of people had great experiences with Hak personally, but should Hake not be here, you are apparently risking yourself to find yourself with no room and a completely rude response that absolutely is not worth it!

Also as to the distance - it IS too far. Hak's House is on the same road as the Cashew Nut, so I am pretty familiar with this street now. It is about a 20 minute walk down an unlit and dusty dirt road that gets a lot of street traffic. You will HAVE to take a tuktuk or bicycle (if you feel safe riding on such street at night, etc.) to get to and fro between here and the markets and pub street. For me, I would much rather live a reasonable walk (about 10 minutes) from the main part of town.

And another observation - while there, I noticed a poor couple awaiting a tuk tuk pick-up to go to the airport or something, waiting a very long time and getting no real response every time they asked when their driver would arrive (i.e., Jin didn't bother to call the driver or find out what was really going on for them - just told them to sit tight).

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank NY2HK
Reviewed 22 February 2013 via mobile

Although Hak's house is a little bit away from the city centre (maybe a 15-20 minute walk), is it well worth it!
We had an air conditioned room for three of us, and although the third bed was just a mattress on the floor it was so cheap and the beds so comfortable that it didn't matter.
The included breakfast was exactly what we needed, and the other food was reasonably priced and decent enough.
Hak organsied a free tuk tuk to pick us up from the bus station, and always made sure we felt accommodated and able to ask any questions. He is also very respectful and not too overbearing with information.
His tuk tuk driver Mr Rain is wonderful, and he showed us lots of lovely places to eat and things to see..
Hak's place is great, would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2013
#6 of 292 in Siem Reap
Onederz Hostel Siem Reap
Onederz Hostel Siem Reap
#5 of 292 in Siem Reap

Been to Hak's House Residence? Share your experiences!