“True talent and best shopping place”
Review of Theam's House

Theam's House
Ranked #55 of 180 things to do in Siem Reap
Bretagne
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“True talent and best shopping place”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

In Bangkok, you don't miss Jim Thomson's House. So in Siem Reap, Angkor City, don't miss the Theam's House. It's a lovely traditional house and workshop in a lush tropical garden. Mister Theam Lim is a well known local artist. Currently the Park Hyatt Siem Reap exhibits his impressive painting art. A tip at Hyatt: happy hour from 6pm at the bar, and discount at the bakery from 8pm.
Most of the best hotels in town display a selection of items created by the master and his skilled young team. But to get the opportunity to observe the young artisans at work in a serene atmosphere is to go to the house. They are working on a fair and sustainable craft program to build their own future. They create modern, colorful, useful things and textile. We bought some nice items for us and to avoid the nightmare of rushing shopping in Greeting Season at home. Everyone can find something for one's budget. We met nice staff fluent in English and French, very efficient.
We have also been to Artisans d'Angkor. Nice items but obviously from big factories and not from the workshop you can visit with professionals guides. Now the shop in town or at the airport, look like a supermarket without the good spirit of the beginning, probably because it's running by Vinci Group, a multinational construction company, more deeply involve in finance than in art.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Breiz

• Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Adelaide, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Creative and Colourful Gallery”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Well worth the effort to seek out. A delightful place to visit and different. The good thing is by purchasing from this gallery you will be supporting local artisans. Don't be put off by its back street location. Loved the colourful elephants!!

Visited August 2013
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1,952 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 852 helpful votes
“Lovely gallery”
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Nearly missed visiting this gallery as it was nearly closing by the time we arrived. A nice location quite near to our hotel but a little out of the way. Had to get our hotel to phone to check the location as the tuk-tuk driver haven't heard of it. Since they were already closing, did not get to see the workshop in session. Lots of lovely pieces in bright colours to choose from. Bought an elephant and an owl but would have loved a Buddha statue. Will be back next time. Worth a visit if looking for souvenirs.

Visited August 2013
Beckenham, Kent
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Unusual and inspiring art gallery/shop”
Reviewed 28 November 2012

Visited as recommended on tripadvisor, was quite hard to find (our hotel and tuk-tuk driver did not know about it) but so glad we went. Thiem, the artist whose house the gallery is at is clearly very talented and offers art and crafts with a point of difference slightly more modern and creative edge. I loved all the colors and ended up buying some of the fantastic clay elephants. We got given a guided tour and was explained how the products are made and how Thiem through his work is supporting the local community by employing only local village workers (they now empty 90 people in total) so although the prices are a little higher than some other shops you know it's going to a god cause plus I truly feel the pieces are exceptional and unique and therefore worth paying a little extra for. Loved this place and would recommend a visit and I guarantee you will not leave empty handed. I. Also found they have a small stall at the old market but sadly did not sell any of the clay goods there so much better to visit the main gallery. Enjoy!

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Mariaarn
Delray Beach, Florida
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Hidden gem in Seam Reap - well worth the effort to find!”
Reviewed 28 November 2012

Just finishing our vacation in Siem Reap and felt compelled to share my experience at Theam's House....At the recommendation of other Trip Advisor reviewers, on our first full day in town, I asked our guide to take me to the main shop, just outside of the main area of Siem Reap. (According to the brochure in our hotel, there may be small outposts in a few of the hotels like the Sofitel and Amansara.) Even with the map provided, the driver had some difficulty locating the shop because the building is set back from the street and the sign is inside the main gate. (Look for the red painted gate with the red elephant - the store is behind this gate.)
Despite the challenge in locating Theam's House, once I set foot into the main building, I knew that it was worth the time and effort - and that I would be making many purchases! Right away, this store is different than most of the others that I had seen in town. The items are simple, quality-made, and unique. According to the store guide, who escorted us through the store and artisan rooms, all items are handmade by disadvantaged youth who have been trained in the various craft arts by the management. And there are so many beautiful works of art to see and choose from - lacquer paintings, regular paintings, Buddhas, elephant statues, scarfs, etc.!
I was so impressed with the quality of the items that I didn't hesitate to purchase several pieces, which are distinct and will always remind me of my journey to Cambodia. Prices may be slightly higher, but the quality received is more than worth it. And, items are available in all price ranges. I also appreciated that the store guide was present, but in no way intrusive or pushy. She let me select pieces on my own, but was always immediately available if I had questions. While prices are fixed, the store does accept Visa and MasterCard without any problem. (Previous reviewers had noted that the store was cash only.)
If you visit Siem Reap and are looking for quality, unique items to bring home either as gifts or momentos, you must make the trip to Theam's House. You will be happy that you did!

Visited November 2012