“Great hotel, oasis of calm, few things to overlook”

Ranked #35 of 513 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 January 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights with my partner in January and overall this is a very nice hotel. I'm going to split the review into the good, and the not so good. Nothing was bad here but there are a few things worth commenting on.

The good: Very nice small hotel with large bedrooms and bathroom. We were in a room on the first floor and had a very nice balcony. The hotel has a very exclusive feel about it and does act as almost an oasis of calm away from what can sometimes be a stressful Siem Reap. The hotel grounds have a rabbit, fish and turtle (which we thought might be dead, floating in the stream..) which were nice touches and made the hotel an interesting place to stay.

The staff were very helpful and always willing to please. On our way to the hotel on the first day we had issues with a taxi driver which we had booked from an operator at the bus depot on the Cambodia/Thailand board. The taxi driver drove most of the way and then offloaded us onto a tuk tuk driver who offered us a free ride to the hotel. The driver then became verbally abusive when he asked us for money for the ride and we wouldn't pay. So, from then on we decided to book any further tuk tuks or taxi’s through the hotel. The prices quoted were as good as we could have found going directly to the suppliers and they all turned up and did what they had been booked to do. We would recommend booking travel or guides through the hotel. There was a bit of a hard sell by the hotel for us to do this on the first day when we arrived but when we had looked around we found their prices on par with the drivers directly but wanted to security of the hotel sorting it if it went wrong.

Staff were very attention and always looking to please. They spoke English well and could understand almost everything we asked.

The less good: The waterfall shower wasn’t very powerful and sometimes felt like you were showering under drips. The bathroom, although very nice, did tend to smell of damp for a good few hours after a shower as the shower works like a wet room soaking into the floor boards which also act as the drainage system. It's nothing that we couldn't over look however.
The hotel itself is located down a side road with no street lighting. We never had an issue with this but it is worth taking a torch. It might also be a reflection of Cambodia as a whole but there are quite a few dogs roaming around on the road where this hotel is located. Again we didn't have any issues from the dogs, and they didn't appear rabid, but not ideal for people with dog phobias.

For the breakfast, although we were given a menu with about 6-8 different breakfast options, we were only ever allowed to choose from the same two as the others were always unavailable. As we were not a fan of rice and chicken for breakfast, having about 3 slices of bread with jam, 1 small piece of bacon and a small sausage for 5 days in a row got very monotonous. The accompanying fruit selection and the fruit smoothies were a good addition though.

The bed sheets, although we are sure they were clean, were sometimes stained and could benefit from a boil wash.

Overall, would I stay here again? Yes, definitely and I would recommend it to anyone travelling to Siem Reap.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alex A
ThePetitVilla, Owner at Petit Villa Boutique & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2013

Hi there,

A cheer and greeting from your Family Home in Siem Reap !

Thank you very much for choosing Petit Villa as place of your choice. My whole team and me are thrilled to hear such a lovely courage words toward staff member that you specifically pointed out of how friendliness our staff represent at Petit Villa. This is the real touch that we are about.

Me in particular very delighted that our team be part of your great memorable experience.

This is the only wish that me, my team are day to day working to see our resident left with fond memorable experience. I have made special note of what could be done better, I must thank you that you point it out for us.

We wish to ensure the experience of each of our honor guest such as you is met, kindly drop me a note at md@petitvilla.com shall plan to come back soon.

Reviewed 28 January 2013

My partner and I stayed here for 5 nights in mid-January. We loved this little property. I know that opinions vary, but having read many of the negative reviews here i must say that i feel like we were staying in a different property. The staff are ridiculously eager to please and will bend over backwards to make sure you are having a great stay. We received complimentary fruit cocktails pretty much every day when we came back to the property to relax after activities during the day. The property is small, which means it is quiet and relaxed. It is not 5 star. It doesn't purport to be. It is boutique. That means it is unique. The bathroom which others have referred to as odd, was to me wonderful. I loved the timber flooring, the fresh flowers and the rain shower. Yes, it is too close to the toilet but that is often the case with toilets in Asia. It's far more interesting and lovely than a standard hilton bathroom. In my view. The rooms themselves are appointed beautifully and are very clean. If you want to stay in a hotel that is the same as one you would be staying in in say, New York, then this property is not for you. If you want somewhere that is very comfortable, relaxing and quite lovely in a Cambodian way then this is a nice little place. As for location, i thought it as a great location. No complaints at all. My only recommendation for the hotel is to perhaps cater better for requests to organise guides to the temples. We had a driver but no guide as the staff said they would likely be too busy given the time of year. Perhaps they could have a preferred guide for hotel guests? In any event, i feel that this place is really trying to please its guests, give you a wonderful experience and the staff should be commended for that. It;s the little things, the welcome drinks, the fresh fruit in the room every day and the incense or burning candles they put in the room which makes this place a very nice place to spend 5 nights in Siem Reap.

Stayed: January 2013

Hi there,

Thank you very much for choosing Petit Villa as place of your choice. Me and my whole team are thrilled to hear such a lovely courage words toward Petit staff member that appreciated what our staff have done toward the resident, I truly honor to received such a high rated score you offered us. This message shared by you on trip advisor will fill with our strength and desire to deliver what best we could do to ensure our future resident needs are met.

I owed you with big appreciations when seeing of how pleased your satisfied during the recent stayed with us. Thank you.

Petit is mean small in French language that is the concept of Petit Villa is small but filled with it uniqueness that could allow resident to experience and feel that is their home in Cambodia.

It with my great pleasure to see my resident left with fond memorable experience provided by Petit Member. This is the only reason that Petit Villa is about.

Petit staff member and me are looking forward to welcoming you back home soon.

Reviewed 26 January 2013 via mobile

We booked this boutique hotel thanks to all the reviews by trip advisor. Inspite of all the warnings we decided to select this place for a short 3 day holiday. So, we booked online and paid in advance.

We were weary as the reviews cautioned us about the first day hassle this hotel causes. As soon as we reached our worst fear came true, upon arrival we were told that the room assigned to us was not available. We were moved to another property to our displeasure. Next day we were transferred after we gave a threat that we will call the police if we are not shifted.

The rooms are dirty and dingy. The lighting is poor. Breakfast was good and so were the staff. But that is the case if we would have gone to any other place.

I did not pay for the night we were asked to stay somewhere else. However they charged the taxes.

I would recommend Agoda to delist this property and advise fellow travelers to avoid this hotel. Hospitality in Cambodia is very good so any place you select it will be spot on.

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank arupbansal
Reviewed 23 January 2013

The hotel is perfect for those who prefer a quiet and unique retreat in a beautiful setting over standardized international hotel brands. The hotel is framed as outlined in the pictures, however sadly some of the basic service aspects suffer - our biggest problem was insufficient hot water for anything more than a 'military shower'.
The breakfast was good in true local style (only for non-vegg recommended). We also tried the massage which was good (slightly above average).
The location is not very central but not a problem with local transport plentiful available. Also airport transfer (outbound) was included for us.
Staff worked hard to meet all needs and overcome the teething problem of hot water - investment in a large hot water boiler is recommended.

Room Tip: Standard room is fine
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
ThePetitVilla, Owner at Petit Villa Boutique & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2013

Hi there,

A cheer and greeting from your Family Home in Siem Reap !

I am thrilled of reviewing such a great memorable note from Resident how got real experience at our place that appreciated the inner look of Petit Villa from the entrance to the very lovely room and bathroom. This proofed how our staff did their utmost care toward the guest. I am blessed of having such a lovely team . Thank you for pointed out how pleased you were.

Nothing else make me, my team a better day once seeing the smile of each of our resident. Even though I have made special note of what could be done better, I must thank you that you point it out for us.

Me and team are delighted to looking forward of welcoming you no in far distance.

Reviewed 16 January 2013

It was a good decision to choose Petit Villa for our stay. We got a poolside suite which I feel it is private enough. The staffs were helpful, the managers and owner were very friendly that made us feel just like home, we were treated so well.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 January 2013 via mobile

We really loved our stay here. We loved this boutique style hotel in a quiet, serene setting. The service was truly excellent and the staff went out of their way to help us... even bringing me into town on a scooter to collect travel tickets. We loved the room it was big, spacious clean and quiet. I loved the layout with a little seating area outside our room and the lovely greenery all around us.
We had the pineapple suite and loved the bathroom with the brick wall and lovely big bath. The breakfast was really good and the food was wonderful and fresh. We would definitely come back to this hotel and only wished we could have stayed longer. We were looking for a quirky hotel opposite to a big corporate hotel and this totally suited us. It may not be in the centre of things but as a result it is quiet and feels like a serene oasis and a place to get away from the hustle and bustle.

We would highly recommend this hotel and were only sorry to leave. The staff were always on hand for anything we required and were always smiling and friendly. We will always remember our wonderful stay here and were not disappointed with our stay. If we are ever back in Cambodia we will make sure to visit Petit Villas. Thanks to all the staff for a wonderful stay!!

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 12 January 2013

This hotel on paper/in photos is a lovely tropical paradise. It does look wonderful in reality but the practicalities is not for people who want their creature comforts.
For example, the airconditioning( on maximum) in the room is just about adequate to stave off the heat but not cold enough to be refreshing, The bathroom is a bit eclectic and have a woody smell coming from the decking used as the floor of the open shower which by the way is very near the toilet. As a result after a shower, the toilet seat is completely wet!
The room is very dark because the one window(without glass) has wooden shutter which has to be kept close due to mosquitoes.
If you are going to the Angkor Wat sunrise ,do bring a torchlight.There are no lighting whatsoever on the path leading from your room to the hotel entrance and it is pitch dark! You might fall into the swimming pool or the pond on either sides of the path. Quite an adventure to start the day!
If you are eating at the hotel restaurant open air) in the evening, be warn ladies! to wear trousers and socks. If you insist on a dress, cover your legs with mosquito repellant
cream. I was bitten no less than 15 times on my ankles which caused a lot of discomfort.
The redeeming feature is they have got gentle friendly staff who aim to please but somewhat not too professional about it! Slow service but what the heck you are on holiday!

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jasmond

Hi there,

Thank you very much for the stayed at Petit Villa. It is with my regret to learn only from your line on trip advisor for which I must apology that Petit Villa is not met your satisfaction as international acclaimed property you may preferred.

Petit Villa is design on homely feels base that filled with tropical garden and allow resident to feel this is their home away from home. With this design concept at stake it may not meet those experienced traveler such as yours that need best 5 star hotel services. Hence, this is what the uniqueness of our place because we left with no comparison.

In further note, I have made personal special note a number of issue you addressed on this forum and sadly that I did not have chance of meeting you in person to extend my appreciation of what you pointed it out and am gratify that you notice what good at Petit Villa.

I take your comment and reviewing what we could possible to make the changes for the better. It is a real helps us to bring Petit Villa on the list of preferred traveler of choice. The aircon set on environmental mode that helps to serve the purpose of environmental friendly. It could simply turn on high speed with cool air once you know how to set it, our staff is around the clock to help if on that period we notified.

We learnt from what left not meet best traveler demand and offering what Petit Villa could offer.

We wish you could give us another chance of serving you again, kindly drop me a note at md@petitvilla.com to allowing see what step we took.

Team and me are looking forward to welcoming you back home and thank you for the comment.