“An unforgettable experience!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hariharalaya Meditation Retreat Centre

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Siem Reap
Hariharalaya Meditation Retreat Centre
Christchurch, New Zealand
“An unforgettable experience!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

The location for the retreat is perfect. You're able to escape to one of the many hammocks for down time or make new friends over a batch of kombucha. The food is clean, healthy and delicious. The day trips are fun and cultural. Here I was able to create my own personal yoga and meditation practice through the guidance of some wonderful teachers. I also made some wonderful friends and had felt rejuvinated once I left.
The best piece of advice I can give to new visitors is to go without expectations and an open mind.

• Stayed February 2014

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Finnish first
Oxford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

I stayed here initially for a week then extended for 2 more. This place has a lot to offer if you are open-minded & open to embracing all that it offers, then afterwards you can reflect on the experience and take the bits you like, and ponder the rest !. I definitely left feeling very healthy, happy, refreshed and with insights tools and knowledge that will stay with me forever. There was a fantastic balance of a serious approach, but excellent humour and lots of laughs along the way. Best to go there without expectations other than to go on a personal journey, which as with all journeys there will be good bits, amazing bits, funny bits, and not so good bits. The yoga was amazing, for me the meditation was challenging but powerful, and I had some extra massages with Claire, who is an extraordinarily wise, lovely, positive warm funny, and very skilled yoga teacher and masseuse. You will be expected to join in to all the scheduled classes, which is important to do in order to get the best out of it, but also important so as to respect and engage in the daily rhythm of the place........If you do need to miss a class or are struggling, advise to discuss with the lovely staff. For me the very best part was Claire energy, wisdom and positivity, the worst bit was the noise from the local wedding.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

The few weeks I spent at Hariharalaya were nothing short of wonderful and I would recommend the retreat to absolutely everybody.

Of all the brilliant things there are to say about the center, I have to single out the yoga teachers, Claire and Amy, for making my experience so complete. The yoga practices each morning (and some afternoons) were engaging and a pleasure to participate in. The classes always offered intensity options to cater for the varied levels of experience within the group, and no two days were the same, which meant I was introduced to several styles of yoga that I hadn’t previously practiced or even heard of!

Prior to the retreat it had been some time (years) since I’d been doing yoga regularly, so throughout my stay I had several one-on-one classes with both Claire and Amy. I found these one-hour sessions completely invaluable and I was amazed at how much I had improved in just a few short weeks. They corrected my postures, challenged my flexibility and helped me into poses I’d always seen as far too advanced for myself, and they made sure it was very safely done. Claire very kindly drew up two tailored sessions of personal practice for me to take home, which I have found so helpful since being away from Hariharalaya.

On top of their teaching talents, Amy and Claire were both exceptional support roles for me from day one right through until the end of my stay. I arrived at the retreat with some fairly heavy letting go to do, and they were both integral to my overcoming the fear of doing so. They are also two extremely knowledgeable women - from nutrition and detox guidance, to reiki healing and Thai massage techniques - I learnt so much from each of them, as did my fellow guests.

Before I went to the retreat I had already decided that I was going to focus on the yoga element of the program and not worry too much about the rest of it, particularly meditation and chanting. This wasn’t because of anything I had seen or heard, but it came down to what I thought would be most beneficial for myself. I’m happy to admit this was a completely misguided mindset to approach the retreat with.

Without any internal (or external) persuasion I found myself really enjoying and appreciating the meditation classes almost immediately. The day I arrived Sean held a talk on different sitting postures and finding out what works for your body which was extremely helpful to me, having never meditated before. We were also encouraged to create a personal routine to warm up our bodies and steady our breath before each session - this made a huge difference to my ability to go deeper into a meditative state.

The first time I experienced one of the chanting classes lead by Joel I had no idea what to expect and felt a bit silly for the first few minutes. Once the initial nerves had subsided, I came to really enjoy the chants and welcomed the buzzing energy it created that stayed with me for the rest of the day. They also held a fire-pit ceremony during my first week which was fascinating and unlike anything I’ve experienced before.

I was really impressed by the Hariharalaya facilities and the range of activities on offer. As a guest it was nice to have the free time to do as much or as little as you wanted to – from exploring the local village on bikes to just lazing in a hammock with a good book. Of the extra activities available, I would particularly recommend the hidden temple tour, as well as the body language course conducted by Sean. Although I was fasting for a good portion of my stay, the food that I did eat was delicious, healthy and in abundance! Mealtimes were also a great opportunity to get to know my fellow guests, and I’m so grateful for the amazing group of people I met.

Overall, I have to say a big thank you to Hariharalaya and its wonderful staff for the difference that its/their energy made at quite a challenging point in my life. I highly recommend the experience to all and look forward to visiting again shortly.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Ubud, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

I attended the student program at Hariharayala for 28 days, from mid-february to mid-march. Being completely new to meditation, and with relatively little experience in yoga - I was looking for a solid introduction to both, and the opportunity to build a personal practice that I could continue on my own once I left the retreat. I am happy to say that Hariharayala delivered on both those expectations - plus so much more.

The retreat itself is located only 30 mins away from Siem Reap, in a rural Cambodian village. Perhaps because I had been living and volunteering in Siem Reap for 3 months prior to the retreat, I didn't find it difficult to live with the music and noise of the nearby celebrations that are mentioned in other reviews - after a while, you can get used to anything, even Khmer wedding season!

The grounds are well kept and provide plenty of spaces to relax and reflect - from several shaded hammocks spread throughout the grounds, to the treehouse, to the quiet pond out back - you can always find time and space for yourself. And if you really need to be on your own, they provide bicycles for riding around the village and surrounding countryside. Communal living can be a new experience for many people, and it has many many rewards - but it can also take its toll when you are working on a spiritual practice and learning a lot about yourself at the same time.

Accomodations range from dorm rooms, to private rustic huts, to private rooms in the main house. I chose to stay in a private room - it was basic but very comfortable with a good bed, storage, and ceiling fan. The dorms aren't overly large and friends who stayed in them told me they were comfortable. Your choice will likely be based on budget, but if you are the type of person who likes their own space, I would definitely recommend the private rooms.

As mentioned in many other reviews, the food was incredible. I am not a vegetarian - I am a committed bacon-eater and I don't anticipate that changing any time soon - but I was very impressed by the vegan food on offer. My only complaint would be the lack of protein/iron. I am sensitive to soy products, so the occasional tofu wasn't a solution for me - and when greens were served, they were usually overcooked - my solution was to ride into the village to order morning glory for a burst of iron when I felt I needed it. But otherwise no complaints - it was delicious, very flavourful and always plentiful.

The student program follows the same program as the guest program - with a few additional classes/activities added. I feel that I got a lot of value from these additional classes - especially the Asana classes with Claire. Being new to yoga, I struggled initially with the classes in the morning. The extra classes with Claire allowed students the opportunity to review specific poses and ask questions about yoga in general. These really helped me with my personal practice - and with my confidence in the daily classes. I also really enjoyed the weekly classes with Joel - these were usually focused on body movement and on the importance of play and joy in our daily practices.

To me though, the best part of Hariharayala were the staff and the other guests. I met so many great people during my time there and made many connections that I'm sure will continue for a long time. Sean the manager is very helpful (he even offered me hypnosis to help me quit smoking!) and his magic shows are amazing (be careful about being an assistant though :-)). Amy and Claire were both excellent yoga instructors - their classes were varied, interesting, and extremely well-guided. They are also both so warm, friendly and caring - it was easy to become great friends with them during my stay. Jen - who was filling dual roles as student coordinator and admin assistant - was always available to answer any questions and happy to help in any way needed. This small group of people work very hard, 24/7, to provide a wonderful environment for their guests - I commend them for their commitment.

One last shout out for Claire - in addition to being an accomplished yoga instructor, Claire also provides massage therapy (sports massage, deep tissue, lomi lomi and thai). After 3 months of $5 Cambodian massages, my body was ready for some real treatment - and I couldn't have hoped for anyone better than Claire. I also worked with her one on one to finalize my personal practice - with her help I have a tailor-made yoga practice that is ideally suited to my body's needs - that alone was worth $25/session fees I paid for her personal guidance.

Overall, Hariharayala is pretty much exactly what it looks like on the website. If you are looking for an opportunity to build a yoga and meditation practice, a chance to take a break from the effects of extended travelling, and the chance to live with like-minded individuals while exploring your own spiritual practice - this is a great place. If you're looking for quiet luxurious pampering - well then, you should probably check out somewhere else.

My final note - and it's an important one - for the first 5 days that I was at the retreat, I was miserable and extremely resistant to pretty much everything. There's a reason for the 10 day minimum stay - exploring meditation, detoxing with a healthy diet, adjusting to communal living, following the sound of a gong for your daily activities, approaching your inner self through spiritual practice - none of these are easy and your mind may initially resist. If you can overcome the resistance and embrace the opportunity, you will be rewarded far beyond your expectations. Go with an open mind, let go of expectations, live in the present moment - you'll be surprised at what you'll find :-)

Room Tip: Get a private room if you like your personal space.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank tcstravels71
Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

I feel it is important for me to start by saying that I had a meeting with the manager, Sean, before I left about the things which I was disappointed by during my stay. I therefore, anticipate that little, if any responsibility will be taken for the faults I had with Hariharalaya. I will explain further during my review.

Having never been to a retreat before I was very excited about having time to myself, relaxing, doing yoga and meditation and generally being much healthier than I have been during my travels. During my first few days I have to say that it was not what I was expecting.

Hariharalaya is set back from the main road to Siem Reap and is among fields, which many Cambodians travel to in order to celebrate getting married. This is obviously fantastic that they wish to celebrate a wonderful day and seeing as only a short time ago they were under rule by the Khmer Rouge, why shouldn't they party and celebrate all night long?! My issue is that Hariharalya do not mention any of this when you enquire about staying there. The retreat is suppose to be relaxing and calming, well, with music starting at 5.30am and finishing at about 1am, relaxed I was not!!
During my time there we were encouraged to join in the celebrations for the World Peace festival. Nobody staying at the retreat had any idea about what this weekend long festival entailed, only that we were expected to be a part of it. It was actually really interesting to see hundreds of people gathering together to pray to the gods, chant, dance and rejoice. But the festival lasted three days, which meant music all day and night and sharing facilities with those that had come to visit the sight. Bearing in mind that there were only 5 toilets to cater for those staying at the retreat normally, say around 30, you can imagine how busy it was with hundreds of people trying to use these facilities. Normally I wouldn't mind this, but I had paid, along with all the other guests a large some of money to be here.
There are about 2/3 yoga and meditation classes a day. The yoga classes were really good and Amy in particular was a great teacher. Checking our poses and ensuring our breath followed the moves. Amy has a very warm energy and was always smiling, it was really nice to see.
Other members of staff I found to be patronising and rude. Claire would often "tell people off" for not being at classes, being made to feel like I am a child at 27 was really not what I expected at the retreat. I understand that classes are mandatory and in order for people to get the best out of their experience they should attend, but there are better ways to approach people and discuss this with them.
I became ill during my time here, as did many people. I missed a few classes because of this. When I asked staff for some food as I had been ill, they told me I could have some bananas, but showed little of a caring nature. It surprises me that the staff are not concerned about the amount of people that fall sick here, perhaps it may be wise to look at hygiene standards. The toilets and bathrooms often had bins that overfilled with soiled toilet paper!
When I discussed my concerns with Sean, I was told that it's often better to have no expectations and to "let it be" as I was in Cambodia. This for me was not acceptable as a paying customer, I felt that he was unwilling to take any responsibility as a manager. And made me feel like it was my problem for having these concerns.
The owner, Joel kept himself to himself and I only really saw him when he gave Darma talks. During these he would sit up on his thrown, keeping his eyes closed and tell us how the lives we lead now are unfulfilling and until we learn to meditate properly, we will continue to be unfulfilled. He also led several chanting sessions while I was there. I have never done anything like this before so didn't understand what was happening. As someone who is not religious or spiritual, I think it would be worthwhile explaining to people what the chants mean and why we do them.
I will say that the food was incredible, I have never tried being a vegan before and I found the meals really filling with great variety each time. The people I met at the retreat were also what made it for me, lots of like minded, fun personalities all together.
I booked 14 days, but left after 10. For anyone that hasn't done anything like this before, I would do your homework before you book.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Ami P
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

we joined the student programme, currently 30 days. It is exactly as described on their website and then some. Not for the feint hearted who are not ready to find themselves, our time here was challenging in many ways, a lot of fun, scary at times when you are expected to step outside your comfort zone,educational, and extremely rewarding. Its not easy being disciplined enough to get up each day at 6:30 for two hours of yoga and meditation, especially when its all new to you, but it will get easier and you will come away with the desire, discipline and skills to do your own daily practice. We learnt so much about ourselves, living in a community, and life in rural Cambodia. Visiting the local Buddhist monastery, and being visited by travelling hair Krishna were both incredible bonuses.
The accommodation varies depending on what you book. Expect mozzies, geckos, rats and occasional spiders. The food is fresh, vegan, plentiful and as varied as they can manage! The staff are all energetic, enthused, and caring.
Just do it!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

I am sharing my thoughts on my stay at Hariharalaya yoga and meditation centre as a guest hoping it is useful for someone indecisive about committing to staying there for the minimum of 10 days. I had minor apprehensions after scrutinizing the website before booking my stay and the deciding factor were the overwhelmingly positive and varied reviews I read here. I was looking forward to some time in a peaceful setting connecting with a like minded community in order to strengthen my personal practice, make it more integral and learn more about eastern thought through the scheduled 'dharma talks'. The price also seemed very reasonable for being lodged, well fed and instructed. After having reflected on it, I am disappointed on many levels and so were others I spoke to during my stay.

First of all, as mentioned by other reviewers, techno music and wailings are blaring almost daily in the surroundings at any time of the day, while you can set yourself some good meditation goals to dive within until you are oblivious to it, it will be harder to do so while trying to sleep.

As far as the morning yoga and meditation goes, the length of the practice is good and instructions were clear and suited for beginners (autonomous practitioners will be able to modify the asanas if need be). My complaint here is that the sequence, the number of classes or even the 'style' of yoga changes daily (maybe because the community itself does) and that it is difficult to track progress without some sort of consistency and feedback. It also tends to be a little superficial and not integral as advertised. I think the teachers were new, a lot seemed to be a bit up in the air here in terms of staff and afternoon activities. Groups are large and there is no assistance to the teacher to help practitioners correct their postures or keep them from hurting themselves, I saw many people in very wrong positions, some of them having been there for weeks as students. Most yoga based retreats I have attended had set a basic sequence of breathing exercises, common asanas and a daily period was given for self practice to address specific issues under a teacher's supervision. I saw breathing exercises once during my stay at Hariharalaya and a session with a teacher is 25$/h. The meditation is simple and does not adhere to any tradition, students are able to develop a personal practice, which is a good thing, but at the same time lacks depth, guidance and perspective. Many people seemed to be dissatisfied at having to sit for long periods of time without clear instructions or a good idea of what it is they are doing.

'Dharma talks' are scheduled daily, they might sometimes be turned into a meditation session or question period, often with the very pleasant and competent manager Sean, but mostly you will have to face sermons from the founder Joel sitting on a throne. They are actually unproductive rants about modern life and the lifestyle he assumes you lead, delivered without empathy and condescending at times. I listened to them with an open mind in the beginning but then decided to shut him out as I realized he didn't respond properly to guests questions afterwards and kept repeating the same things over and over again. Maybe real insight and discussion of actual dharma topics are discussed with students in private..I also think explanations on the meaning of the mantras being chanted in the morning could be given instead of just being told it's good for us to chant them, they have a history of thousands of years which could be discussed.

A deal compared to the cost of living in Europe or North America, staying at Hariharalaya is somewhat of a splurge for a traveller to south east Asia. The house where meals are taken is very nice and has a lot of character, the rooms you can rent there probably are too. I stayed in the dorms (which can be anywhere between 3 to 7 people), probably the most basic buildings you will get to see even in rural Cambodia but comfortable enough considering the weather and the nice beds. I had some good meals there but many days rice and the same few vegetables were reshuffled into different meals throughout the day and leftovers were served as well. I'm all for a vegan diet but it's important to have variety, there was never any legumes, grains other than rice except bread once and only once was there nuts in a meal. Nothing sweet served except fruits in the morning. I never saw the peanut butter smoothies or waffles I read about in many reviews. You can of course buy additional sweet nut snacks from them as extras or go out to the village and get your need.

Living frugally is very rewarding but the paradox at Hariharalaya is that you are paying a premium for it. You can stay at boutique hotels with pools, breakfast buffet etc in Siem Reap for the price of staying in the dorms. Being in the countryside of Cambodia and seeing the local life was really nice but not exclusive to staying there. The profits from snacks and such is going to charity but even though the teachers are westerners, the price of life is so low in Cambodia I wonder who actually benefits from the rest of the profits. The extras were many and add up quickly, the services overpriced and all the showers and washrooms shared. I took my karma practice outside to a nearby school and a pottery workshop, I am was not cleaning the house for them that's for sure.

That being said I enjoyed the proximity to local life and the roluos temple group and many of the other guest very much. The connection between people seems to be highlight of this place and the making of the experience. Like minded people seem to converge to this place and that is the major advantage but perhaps victim of its success Hariharalaya has slacked a bit in its offering knowing it has been filling up anyways. 3 stars because of Sean's magic, the people of the surroundings and the people I met there. I am speaking as a guest here, it is possible to enroll as a student for a minimum of four weeks as well which works out to be less expensive, but I am not exactly sure what there is to learn there for such a period and how healthy it would be to stay there for so long.

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank Triplegemm
Hariharalaya, Manager at Hariharalaya Meditation Retreat Centre, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear Guest:

We appreciate your review. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Hariharalaya welcomes people of all ages, backgrounds and levels of experience. We aim to bring yoga and meditation into all aspects of daily life. With a full schedule of classes including 2 yoga classes per day, a meditation hall, a yoga studio, an art room, a music room, regular movie nights, active like minded community, healing center, 3 home cooked vegan meals, free bicycles, an excellent library, outdoor gym and exercise equipment, and beautiful gardens, we offer a unique program and opportunity to learn in a supportive spiritual community at an affordable price.

The spirit and philosophy of yoga and meditation are ingrained in our daily schedule, meals and community events. We have an experienced team of teachers who live in the community long term, providing a solid foundation for guests and students to learn and grow. Joel, the founder and director of the Center, gives regular talks on a variety of subjects related to living yoga and meditation in daily life. You can find more information about the core of the teaching in his book of collected talks "The Foundations of Stillness." We also listen to recorded dharma talks from sages like Krishnamurti, Papaji, Osho, Alan Watts and many more. We have a large library of books on Spirituality, Yoga, Buddhism for further study.

We wish you continued peace and happiness on your journey.
We will continue to evolve and grow as a center, committed to bringing integral yoga and meditation to as many people as possible.

Sean

PS - I am glad you enjoyed the magic.