“The Countryside Tour was most memorable part of my trip to Siem Reap”

Khmer for Khmer Organisation
More attraction details
Owner description: Explore Angkor's beauty on a cycling adventure along hidden paths. Guided by our knowledgeable tour guides prepare yourself to see the Angkor Park from a totally different perspective.The tour not only offers you the chance to visit five temples but also allows you to take in breath-taking scenery throughout. Be it riding along the magnificent Angkor moat or cycling through a quintessential Cambodian village, this tour gives you a real insight into daily life here, past and present. Cycle atop the old city wall of Angkor Thom once inhabited by over one million citizens, and through the lush shady forests which lead to you more hidden and undisturbed temples. Here you can truly explore the ruins in peace and tranquility, sometimes not seeing another soul for hours ... And the best, with joining this tour you support our own KKO Education and Vocational Center!
Reviewed 14 April 2013

I did the KKO Countryside Tour - this is the one that does not go to the temples, but rather does a 30km (approx) loop through the countryside outside Siem Reap. It is not an easy bike ride (and I would have felt more comfortable at times with a helmet), but it was completely worth it. Riding through the villages I felt at times like a voyeur observing the poverty that was everywhere in sight, but I also tried to contribute positively; we stopped at a remote school and spoke to students briefly in English to help them practice and this brought out smiles from everyone. If you're templed out and want to challenge your body and your mind, do this ride. You will never forget it.

1  Thank grahamchicago
There are newer reviews for Khmer for Khmer Organisation

Reviewed 27 February 2013

While Angkor Wat is mindblowing, there are so many other temples around it worth visiting - and this tour gives you exactly that, plus some insight into the life of the villages around. Definitely good value for money, and you know the money is going to the right place, so do not miss this if you are capable of doing a 40km ride.

1  Thank nichtma
Reviewed 18 February 2013

I loved this tour. Fabian our guide was incredible. I loved siem reap and loved the temples but wanted to see a bit more of the real cambodia as well as some of the less crowded temples. This did it.
we started off the tour biking by Angkor Wat. Stopped to get some simple info (didn't go in. IF YOU WANT TO SEE ANKGOR WAT THIS TOUR DOESN"T DO THAT) then started riding through little cambodian villages! amazing! we stopped by a school in session and got to watch the kids learn from a dry-erase board and they were screaming out lesson plans while goats and cows calmly watched as well.
we rode through rice paddies, got to some of the medium sized temples where NO one else was. So nice just being a lone with your small group enjoying the beautiful temples. fabian took us to a greta lunch which was a well needed rest. food was awesome and cheap (does not come with the tour). then went on our way to a great temple where the information fabian had was perfect. Not too detailed but enough to understand and get a glimpse of what the temples were used for, when built and some fun stories while you are inside pretending to be indiana jones.

at the end of the day i was wiped in a great way. I loved it. It made my cambodian vacation so much more special than it already was. And a bonus your money is going to a wonderful cause!

you cannot afford NOT to do this tour. I loved it! bring water btw cause darn its hot!!

1  Thank brotherman60763
Reviewed 8 February 2013

2 friends and I did the temples tour and I then did the countryside tour alone the next day. Frankly, this made the trip to Siem Reap for us. We saw things deep in the woods that few other people ever see. the guides were great. The terrain is very flat, so no climbing, but It's a pretty long ride so be prepared for a sore butt afterward unless you ride regularly. The following day we all went to Angkor Wat and we were a bit underwhelmed. Maybe it had been built up too much in our minds. We were all glad we'd done the bike tour though. We saw much cooler stuff on the ride.

Reviewed 26 January 2013

Loved the day! It was my first time mountain biking off-road and I must say, there was parts of it that was tricky so its definitely not for unconfident cyclists. I’m a huge road cyclist so that help, ,but its a toalltaly different type of ride and skills.

I also strongly recommend you wear padded cycling pants as we spent 8 hours on and off the bike, so I was very saddle sore at the end of the day even though I wore padded pants – I hate to imagine how much worse I would felt without! Remember to bring sun block and a cap as well as you’re in the sun a lot.

The guide was very accommodating when we all collectively asked for a slight amendment to the route.

So all in all, a fab day out and you get to help a local NGO.
It's also a great way of meeting people as I was travelling on my own.