“Beyond Expectations”
Review of MotherHome Inn

MotherHome Inn
Ranked #17 of 501 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 September 2011

I must have been lucky enough to be acquainted with the new MotherHome Inn by the great top spot review ranking of the MotherHome GuestHouse in the tripadvisor.com and in addition to that, it being the Top 6 Winner of the Travelers’ Choice 2011 : the Best Hotels under the B&Bs and Inns Category in all over Asia. A quick googling introduced me to the MotherHome Inn website, which has just opened its door to guests in early August 2011. The owners of the Guesthouse are the same that of the Inn. Having done my communications and reservation online, I couldn’t be more excited after receiving the confirmation just within 30 minutes time on my reservation for a single bed room on 3rd to 6th September 2011. Thanks to Mr. Kim Leang, the owner of the Inn, for being so attentive in responding through his Ipad, even after midnight.

Upon arrival in Siem Reap, I was warmly greeted by the Inn’s tuk-tuk driver, Mr. Samol (pronounced sam-ol) who was holding a banner bearing my name. He immediately took charge of my stone-heavy luggage and brought me straight to the Inn. After a while journeying through the Airport Road in about 15 minutes, a right-turn of his tuk-tuk brought us to an alleyway and immediately to the gorgeous and brand new MotherHome Inn. With a short honking of the tuk-tuk upon reaching, a number staff from inside the Inn came out to greet me “Welcome” and of course with the signature Cambodian smile.

The bellboy then took charge of my luggage and directed me to the sofa inside the lobby. While seating, a lady handed over a white piece of cold fragrant towel. It was just refreshing to wipe off all sorts of highway dirts and perhaps non-immaculate sweat from the hands and face. This is one of the very thoughtful detail the Inn offered. Right after, another sweet lady came with a fresh thick juicy drink, could be a mango, which I did not even bother to know when I sipped it all through as it was so yummy and thirst-quenching. After handing over my passport and filling in a check-in form, Ms. Mary, a lovely frontdesk officer, explained that the Inn gave complimentary breakfast for each day of stay from 6am to 10am. Further, they could even readily pack breakfast for me should I wish to see sunrise at 5am. No deposits or whatsoever payment was needed upon check-in. I guess in this case, trust comes first, unlike in any other starry hotels. It was at 8.30am, and I was kind enough to be allowed for early check-in to my room. The room was airy, well-lighted, brand new, spotless clean and most of all the great view of the swimming pool. For USD23 per night (not to mention the promotion rate offered - stay 3 nights pay for 2 nights), I got complimentary mineral waters, tea+coffee, LCD TV with plenty of channels, air-conditioner, 5-star quality bed with 2 more extra pillows, mini-bar beverages, shower+shampoo gel, hot shower, hair-dryer and most important is the 24-hr free wifi. Outside the room, I got swimming pool, restaurant, massage facility, night bar, free internet access at the lobby and dedicated tuk-tuk drivers serving MotherHome Inn.

It was on the spot that I requested Ms. Mary to arrange for me a tour to Angkor Wat. There was a fees brochure for all the offered temple tours pasted on the wall of the writing desk in my room, so there was really no need to think much of haggling and mind you, these prices were competitive enough. Upon suggestion by Mary, I took the Small-Circuit Tour covering Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom and Ta-Prohm alike. Oh yes, without any problem, the tuk-tuk driver was readily available and I started off sharp at 9.30am. The tuk-tuk driver, Mr. Thon, is exceptionally knowledgeable about temples and he gave me a little introduction to each temple I visited.

Again, every time I returned to the Inn after a tiresome long day of temple tour, I was always greeted with the floral-scented cold wet towel the moment I entered the lobby. The lobby itself was well scented with burning incense, very refreshing and accommodating. Upon entering the room, the make-up was always excellent with freshly laundered and nicely scented bed and pillow cover as well as very clean towels.

I have tried the in-room dining with the delicious local cuisine fish Amok (fish cooked in coconut milk broth with turmeric). It was served with a nice Khmer style dining mat and cutleries. The waiter was polite and very prompt even to when it comes to collecting the empty plates. The morning buffet breakfast was simple but delightful yet delicious. There were noodles, fried rice, sausages, potatoes, porridge, breads, fruits and juices. There was once when I saw the waitress kept changing the plates for the fruits so they were presentable. The ambience of the restaurant was superb, cosy and very Cambodian.

The acquaintance with the handsome Mr. So Kha, the hotel supervisor, was indeed very welcoming. He never failed to greet or start an interesting conversation every time we met. Once, he asked about the room condition and service during my stay in MotherHome Inn, and very keen to know if I have any problem that he could assist me with. I really appreciated his concern. One of other particular details I noticed was that So Kha himself or other staff would accompany guest and even myself right from the doorstep of the lobby out to the tuk-tuk and waited until the guest and tuk-tuk driver departed. A simple wish like “Enjoy your trip to the temples” just made the day so pleasant to start with.

On my other day, I took the Big Circuit Tour package, with Samol as my tuk-tuk driver. Big Circuit Tour covered the East Mebon, Pre-Rup and Preah Khan temples alike. Aside from the temples themselves, it has been the most heartening to engage in a casual conversation with Samol during our lunchtime where he brought me to the local Khmer restaurant and that’s when I got to know more in detail of Cambodian people and their way of life. In return, he was also very keen to know more of my own country home and we kept on exchanging knowledge. One more thing that I really appreciated his help was when he went all along the way to the SkyVenture Microlight, which was located quite a mile from the Inn, on his own account, to check for me on whether or not the SkyVenture is open for guests in September. Apparently, they were closed for the whole of September due to rainy season. I went for the awesome horse-riding at the Happy Ranch instead.

Venture into the city of Siem Reap is very easy as the Inn is located very close by. A leisurely walk to the Pub Street / Old Market and from the Inn took only around 15 minutes. Of course, along the way, there were lots of shops, stalls, restaurants, massage parlours that may be of interest. Otherwise, taking the Inn’s tuk-tuk is another alternative at a cost of dirt cheap. The Inn is itself located in a fairly quiet alleyway and away from the hustle-bustle of the highways and karaoke, excellent feature to having a peaceful night sleep.

My stay in MotherHome Inn has been the most wonderful and memorable ever, unbeatable even by the 5-star hotels that I have stayed in before. Their motto “... you are genuinely cared for” was truly being reflected by all staff including the tuk-tuk drivers and in no way I have anything to complain about, be it the price, service nor the facilities. They took care of every inch of details you can ever imagine of. I truly recommend MotherHome Inn to tripadvisor.com’s visitors as their services are really beyond expectations.

Room Tip: Room with swimming pool overview
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Zesarthur
There are newer reviews for MotherHome Inn

Reviewed 6 September 2011

Immaculately clean, wonderfully hospitable, great service and real value for money. All the staff are extremely helpful - including the Tuk Tuk drivers.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Meg B
Reviewed 3 September 2011

We have back to our homeland, Singapore. I can't stop myself for thinking those great time we had in Cambodia. What makes this trip more unforgettable is the accommodation. We stayed in Mother Home Inn, Siam Reap during the trip. Although it just a inn, it provides the best service to us.

As for the environment, it occupied with the basis for a traveller. With Internet access, swimming pool, airport transportation, local tour, massage centre and etc. This is so thoughtful! This makes our first trip so convenience.

The most important thing is, the staff and the service they provided are excellent. They welcome us with their sincerity. This makes us feel at home. We are so happy and please with the way they treated us. We are just like a family! I would like to show my at most appreciation to Mr So Kha, supervisor of the reception. He solved our problem we faced during the trip. With his assistance, we manage to go through a wonderful trip.

For sure, we will be back to Mother Home Inn next time we visit Cambodia. No doubt, we will recommend to my friends and relatives who plan to pay a visit to Cambodia.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Susan6310
Reviewed 3 September 2011

All the staff served us with smiling face n politely. The room is nice n clean.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 September 2011

i definately will come back again to stay in motherhome inn....
excellent service, clean environment, free wifi...

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Overall: MotherHome Inn really and genuinely cares for you. Hart to beat accommodation offer!
Services: Brilliant recommendations for itineraries/tours and all travel arrangements made by Kimleang (MotherHome Guesthouse & MotherHome Inn's owner) - Aw khun Kimleang and team!
Location: 2 minutes away from the Old Market, Siem Reap centre and 15 minutes by Tuk-tuk from Angkor Wat
Very decent-sized room, with clean beddings, fridge, TV, AC, 2 free bottles of water per day
One word of advice: make sure you have agree with the tuk-tuk drivers the itinerary and price before in order to avoid any misunderstandings

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Alina_Florina
Reviewed 1 September 2011

This my first time travel abroad, so I was a little nervous at the beginning. However, the wonderful motherhome inn made me feel at home. I can get useful travel advice and
ticket booking services here. Our driver Mr.Pete is very kind and helpful. It's very lucky to have such a good driver&guide. In fact, I did'nt need to worry about anything during my days here. My trip in Combodia is perfect and I really love Siem Reap. Someday in future, I will come back and bring my parents with me.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends