Sokhalay Angkor Villa Resort is one of those very rarest of instances when the real place actually exceeds the expectations set by images and description on the resort's website. The buildings really are impressively constructed wooden villas in Khmer style; the grounds are lovely, lush, and provide deep shade from the intense Cambodian sun; the pool is crystal clear, warm, and slightly salty. The rooms really are that large, with wood floors, handsome furniture, and modern fixtures. Our poolside double villa had a king size bed, a comfortable and nap-able L-shaped sofa, a desk, wardrobe, coffee table and TV stand with lots of room left over for our baby to crawl around and play.
We came to pick Sokhalay Villa out of the literally hundreds of hotel options in Siem Reap through a very specific set of criteria. We wanted to relax and enjoy our time in the hotel as much as we wanted to explore the temples of Angkor and markets in Siem Reap. At another stage of life, the resort's distance from town might have been a bigger disadvantage, but with baby in tow and nap time to schedule, we would have had limited opportunities to take in the night life and markets. Our half day expeditions into the temple areas (between naps) was easily and affordably managed with cars and drivers provided by the hotel. And our time at the hotel was extremely pleasant - the capable young staff went far beyond the necessary to make our stay with the infant as pleasant as possible.
The main restaurant is a beautifully built Khmer style wooden pavilion, open on all sides and surrounded by a carp and lotus-filled moat. Eating there was always a joy simply for the setting. I
never tired of studying the post and beam construction or the intricate carved crossbeams. The breakfast was plentiful and delicious, though options for those unaccustomed to Southeast Asian breakfast items such as noodles and rice porridge might find the choices a bit limited. Dinner at the hotel was very good, especially the western options. The menu would benefit from more Khmer selections, but all the meals were flavourful and well presented. The service was always gracious, friendly, and attentive.
The resort only opened in the last two years, and the general manager informed us that several more of the resort facilities should open in the near future: a children's play room, an air conditioned section of the main dining rooms, a Chinese restaurant and a French restaurant all to open in the near future. Do be aware that there is also a traditional Sokhalay Angkor Hotel and a smaller Sokhalay Angkor Inn all on the same compound. These new facilities will mostly be located at the hotel building, which about is a less than 5 min walk from the far end of the compound.
The place is not without its faults. Ants found any scrap of food left out overnight. There were a few pea-sized jumping spiders on the curtains as well.
But if these minor issues don't turn you away, and you don't mind being a 12 min tuk-tuk ride away from the bustle and hustle of the Old Market, we'd strongly recommend giving Sokhalay Angkor Villas a look.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sokhalay Angkor Villa Resort offers an ultimate relaxation and rejuvenation experience. With its key location, guests can conveniently access to the city's must-see destinations. Siem Reap Airport, the Pub Street and the famous UNESCO site Angkor Wat can be reached within short drive. At Sokhalay Angkor Villa Resort, all rooms are beautifully furnished and equipped with standard amenities. Experience the resort's spa and fitness center where guests are able to relax and enjoy the landscape of tropical atmosphere. To ensure that guests are having a pleasant time during the stay, the resort also offers recreational facilities such as swimming pool, library, including day trip. Guests can opt for other leisure activities such as jogging. Offering comfortable stay with top-class facilities, Sokhalay Angkor Villa Resort is a perfect venue to spend the unforgettable stay in Siem Reap. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Expedia, Ebookers, Priceline, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Traveltool, S.L.U., getaroom.com and Hotel.de so you can book your Sokhalay Angkor Villa Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sokhalay Angkor Hotel Siem Reap
- Sokhalay Angkor Resort And Spa