“excellent ,beautiful wide rooms”

Sokhalay Angkor Villa Resort
phuket
“excellent ,beautiful wide rooms”
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Sometimes the fate does things right. I selected mysterious hotel on latestays.com to get 5 stars hotel at discounted price .So when I knew it was the sokhalay. regarding posts on tripadvisor ,I was really.anxious until my arrival. This hotel is superb. Rooms are a copy of traditional teck house of all cambodia region. The breakfast is various ,including fresh juice and local fruits . cheese,chinese ,indian,food is available in quantity. You eat along a canal full of Lotus and flowers . Some will say Hotel is too far from angkor but it is alos very close of airport . So if you have to get an early flight, it is much better . Anyway no Hotel close of angkor wat ,minimum 10mn to reach the historic site. So you wil have to get a taxi or local triporter available at hotel for 15 usd to go there. Some bicycles are available to reach your room as electric buggy car.Spa is also fantastic with an internal swimming pool Great Hotel, great personnel,beautiful brand new rooms ....I will return there next time.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jeanp22002

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I was torn, I really expected to love this hotel. The airport pick up was great, the staff that came to pick us up was perfectly nice, though they seemed eager to sell us some tour packages. Upon arriving in the hotel lobby (4pm), there were no lights, it was dark, felt completely depressing. When we got to our villa the room was also dark. So dark it felt claustrophobic, and the room is actually a nice size. All the doors and windows were closed, and you can't really open them, because then you lose all privacy being on the ground floor. The few lights in the room were also really dim yellowish lights. There are no lights over the luggage shelf, so you can't see the content of your luggage well, there are no where in the room where there is bright enough light for a girl can put on her make-up or even see her outfit well. I understand electricity is precious and expensive in Cambodia, but I think a few LED or energy efficient lights will solve the problem. Anyway we requested a room change to see if another room will have better lights. This they were helpful with, they took us to see another villa on the 2nd floor. The room was just as dark, but since it was on the second door, we could at least open the door and windows to get some natural light, though still dark, it felt much more comfortable. Later that night when it came to the shower, we found the bathtub hard to enter. The edge of the tub is very high, so for a short person like me (5'3") had real problem crossing into the tub. The edge of the tubs were also covered in black mold/mildew. The bathtub is very slippery so they gave you an anti-slip mat. Upon rolling it out we got another scare, that thing is also covered in black mold/mildew, scared, I picked up and the other side with the suction cup was even worst. This was absolutely DISGUSTING!!!!!!! Another place (that we could see) that's covered with mold, was the laundry basket in the bathroom. How can we feel comfortable throwing the towels and clothes in there? One more thing with the room, I don't think they vacuum or mop the floor often. I walked bare feet for a bit and my feet was covered with dust. The beds are also hard. I know they have a lot of Asian guests so maybe that's what they are used to. However, I think for people used to western standards it's like sleeping on a wooden board.

Other problems, and a major one for me, as I often has to work even when on vacation, is the wi-fi connection was horrible. The signal in our room was weak, and the last 2 nights we were there I had no connection what so ever, and the front desk said they couldn't help. At night, they also have a band playing by the pool, and even though we had a garden room on the outer rim, we could still hear it well, and it was annoying. It went on beyond 10pm, sight-seeing in Angkor Wat requires you to wake up early and I can't imagine some people, especially families going to bed late. Also there was construction going on by the pool all day and night. Laying by the pool during the day was also extremely irritating.

As for the breakfast, it was nice. The selection was good, and the pho/noodle station was our favorite. However, there's still much room for improvement: better cheese selection is much needed, what's called "pork sausage" are actually tiny hot dog links, and the baked beans are not cooked through (crunchy beans, yuck!). Also they ran out of maple syrup so all they had for waffles and pancakes were honey, which simply doesn't work.... Oh if you can help it, don't go there before 8am, before that time the place is packed with Asian tour groups and it's a mad house.

The staff were mostly great. The few problems we had were with the front desk, it seemed every time we called or went to the desk, the first person who responded spoke very little English. We always had to wait for another person who spoke better English to show up. Also, since our villa isn't too far to the entrance we decided to walk out ourselves most days, however, several times the golf carts passed us and they never had the sensibility to stop and ask us if we would like a ride. This is something they can easily train their staff on.

All in all, the grounds were nice, the staff friendly and does try to help, but the quality of the villa rooms were less than 3 stars for me. I will not stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank lcacds
UK
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Stayed here for 2 days and it was wonderful and luxurious.

Hotel staff we're very friendly and helped me organise the million and one things i needed to do with ease. Most importantly - organising a private tour to the temples with the hotel tuk tuk driver. We raced down there for sunset (if you buy your ticket that evening, you get to see the sunset and also go the next day for a full day.) Cost $10 to do the sunset.

I left at 5am for the sunrise and the hotel organised 2 boxes of breakfast for me (croissants, cakes, fresh fruit etc.) There are golf buggies to take you from the reception to the room and vice versa, Just call reception to arrange. I also had a the 4 hands massage which was the best massage I have ever had. HEAVEN!!!

All in all a luxury stay, great staff and beautiful hotel. It would cost you $3 to go into the main town as there's nothing really outside of the hotel. If you need to go to the airport or catch a bus - allow ample time as traffic is murder!!

Room Tip: Everything i lush tropical grounds, take a torch to get back to your room if you have poor sight, el...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 19 December 2013

What a beautiful resort this is! Never a dull moment in this colorful, ultra sparkling clean, modern, spacious, friendly, convenient, comfortable, superb, large yet homely, exotic yet not overwhelming, and very affordable amazing resort this is! I travel over 100,000 miles every year, visit many countries, and stay in many hotels. I can genuinely say I feel extremely at home here at the Sokhalay Angkor! It is opulent, yet not overwhelming, big but with many unique "corners" and activities, close to the hub of Siem Reap, yet not in a noisy, crowded section! Just perfect! I look forward to my return next month (and I am bringing about 30 other friends), and I sincerely want to thank Mr. Michael Lim, GM, Mr. Kou, Tony Harb and Yann Samon, for their sincere hospitality. They even helped me track down a Cambodian Traditional Musical Instrument, the Roneat (an oversized wooden decorated xylophone), and packed it for me to take home. "Awkun" which means "thank you", and see you soon!

Room Tip: There is a room for every budget--ask to see the Villas for a retreat feel, or the rooms in the main...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Teri T
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 11 December 2013 via mobile

Highly recommended this Resort is elegant, helpful, friendly, and informative staffs. Especially, Front Office Staffs assist you every movement and possibility of your inquiries about the Angkor Archaeological Park for exploring the temples history, and make your stay very comfortable with the super friendly staffs as you are at home with traditional Khmer hospitality. Yet, the Resort is completed facilities and the room is spacious with beautiful decoration reflect to traditional Khmer style in the vivid of tropical garden. It is the only Resort in Cambodia and you can trust in its staffs that are delighted to provide the personalized services.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Rafael K
New York City, New York
Reviewed 8 December 2013

The resort arranged airport pickup/transfer for as as included in our packaged. I was pleasantly surprised at the nice and modern van that picked us up! Our driver and attendant took very good care in our short 5 min ride to the resort. Very well done.
Upon arrival, you realize the scale of this place and feel as if you are entering another world away from the hustle and bustle outside the hotel. The grounds are beautiful – filled with lush trees and greens, perfect roads and beautiful villa’s everywhere. The place is so large, you have to be ferried around in ‘stretch’ golf carts. Again, this was very well done as we they were always available and we never felt we needed to wait an extended period of time for a ride. The only time this did become a problem was over the weekend and the phones were only providing a busy signal due to the influx of people for the weekend.

The Villa’s were nice and big, modern and clean. Standard mini bar items, nice balcony overlooking the beautiful pool. Zero complaints about the room, absolutely perfect. Beds are comfy, air worked well, pillows were good.

Pool area is better than it looks in the pictures. Large and clean and the water just right. The sun hits it all day long. Only prob is they were constructing a new villa overlooking the pool, so there was noise all day from the hammering and drilling. Even this didn’t bother us much, but the construction workers constantly staring at us as if we were a rare breed of monkeys at the zoo, that part got uncomfortable quickly. That aside, pool bar and everything else was great by the pool.

Food and resto – when we arrived, it seemed although taunted as ‘international food’, there wasn’t much international about it. No pancakes or waffles for the kids, bacon was raw and everything else was more Japanese catering than anything. I mentioned this to one of the managers on the floor and he agreed with my comments and promised he would try to do something. The next day, there was pancakes at the omelets station and bacon tray had both crispy and regular in the tray. This was great for us. Dinner was a different story, everything we had at dinner, from a bacon cheeseburgers to their special lok lak was fantastic. The waiters at the resto made the whole experience extra special with their smiles and superb service.

Few notes. Ground floor room is best. The tuk tuk drivers stationed right outside the hotel are expecting big money. Pick yourself a nice guy, take his number and work with just one guy – remember, these guys are working hard so its OK to tip well and pay a little extra, but not completely get ripped off. Everybody wanted 18US for a round trip to Pub street, we found a nice guy who charged us 8US round trip and we kept giving him 12US for every trip because he was honest, good and reliable. Further to this point, I don’t know why the resort doesn't just have their own fleet of tuk tuks! Not only is this additional revenue for them, but they are providing an additional service which eliminates the need for us to negotiate and wonder if the tuk tuk we are taking is safe. Something to think about.

All and all, this was all a great resort at a fantastic price. We had a wonderful stay and really were happy with the staff and everything the resort had to offer.

Room Tip: Ground floor pool side room will give you access to the pool.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 6 December 2013

My friends and I were here for 5 days and had a ball. The staff were super nice all the time. We had push bikes to ride around the resort. It was always clean and if you needed anything the staff were always willing to help with a smile. Everything was superb.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends