Sokhalay Angkor Resort & Spa
Agoda.com
US$146
US$252
US$191
Anantara Angkor Resort(Siem Reap)
US$299
US$214
All reviewsindoor poolpool view villamain buildingpost and beamshutters closedwooden villastuk tukasian guestskhmer stylepool sidebreakfast buffetchinese new yearconcierge servicea king size bedgreat propertywestern optionspub street
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights last week and whilst the room was great, plenty of room, comfortable bed and great view of the pool. Unfortunately the pool was green and on the first day we discovered a large piece of floating faeces. My wife called a staff member who removed it with his bare hand and like us, was horrified. The breakfasts were average, the eggs took ages and the food in the warmers was cold. On the final evening we arranged a hotel transfer to the airport for 10am the following morning. We were ready to go at 10 and went to reception and there was no vehicle ready. We were then quizzed as to what time our flight was etc. That’s not the point, if we asked and booked for a vehicle at a certain time the day before and told it was arranged then why have to wait argue the next day? Also the taxi from the airport to the hotel was $7 and the hotel to airport was $15 and when we finally managed to get a car there we were sharing with another couple who I bet also paid $15. The hotel charged $30 for a $7 fare.. I'm afraid we won't be staying here in the future which is a shame as it looks like a nice hotel.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Hello to Mr.Yann Samon, Just wanted to say thank you for your excellent service and also for the fantastic room that you made available for my Girlfriend and I while we were in Siem Reap. I wish you all the best and hope that if we do return in the near future that you will have the new title that you truly deserve to become the GM at the Sokhalay Angkor Resort and Spa,. it was a pleasure meeting you and many thanks for making our stay a memorable one.
All the very best to you.
Cheer Gerry and Hellen

Room Tip: If you are fortunate enough to meet the guest relations manager Mr.Yann Samon, I am sure that he will make your stay a very memorable and comfortable as he did for us.Room # 268 was fantastic..
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gerry T
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Two days away from flying from Ho Chi Minh City to Siem Reap, Cambodia we thought we would check out the accommodation.

Lucked out by using booking.com to pick up a last minute bargain. $201 USD for 3 nights in a luxurious villa overlooking a magnificent pool. The rooms were so palatial you could have been on a tropical island paradise. 5 star hotel and 5 star service. Check out their website as we did.

I must also tell you that the breakfast spread was the very best ever in all our travels in all sorts of hotels.

This place simply stunning

Bill and Disa

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Bunieng, Resident Manager at Sokhalay Angkor Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2014

Dear Bill and Disa,

Greetings from Sokhalay Angkor Villa Resort !

We were very happy to receive your valued compliment toward our Villa. As per your experiences there is only one Resort in town which relives our culture and providing you a tropical island pool which largest in town.

We do look forward to welcome your and your friends or business partner back home again soon.

Kindly let us know if there is anything else we can do for you from our Amazing Resort and Villa.

Have a wonderful evening !

With my best personal regards,

Bun-ieng, KOU
Resident Manager

Reviewed 21 March 2014

My husband and I had a great stay at the Sokhalay for four nights in March 2014. Our Poolside Villa Room was spacious with a large comfortable bed, lounger sofa and large screen TV. We also had our own balcony--a great place for afternoon tea and lunch--overlooking the pool.

In the evenings a band from the Philippines sang popular, easy listening songs by the pool. That was where we would have our evening cocktails and dinner. The food was tasty in general, especially the Asian cuisine. Some of the Western menu items, while acceptable in taste, were not similar to those found in the West. The hummus on Mezze plate tasted like white miso paste and the baked beans served in the breakfast buffet were probably made from soya beans. The hotel does provide taxi/tuk-tuk service to the "downtown" area. I can strongly recommend Haven Training restaurant on Sok San Street, near the popular Pub Street.

I used the spa twice and received good service. The spa facilities are beautiful, but the spa needs to do some minor tweaking to elevate its services to a true five star experience. Some suggestions:
- provide disposable panties so the more modest massage customers can feel more comfortable
- place flowers in the bowls underneath the massage tables; I stared into an empty bowl during my massage.
- play soothing background music during the massage; it was dead silent during our massages
- provide a comb for the customer; my hair was a mess after my massage and I finger combed it

The staff are all eager to help and quite attentive. However, the level of the English proficiency varies widely. If you ask anything outside the norm, you get a blank look. For example, we arranged for a massage after a hot day of touring. We asked to take a shower first, but the staff did not understand our request until we pointed to the shower stall. The staff, however, was good at asking it the massage pressure was too strong or too weak and how we were feeling overall.

Our reservation included airport pickup. My only complaint about our stay was the lack of response to my emails asking for confirmation regarding airport pickup. After two attempts, I figured that I probably would not receive an answer and if no one was at the airport to pick us up, we would just take a taxi to the hotel. However, a nice driver from the hotel was at the airport holding a sign with our name on it.

I strongly recommend arranging for a private tour guide with a driver; there are many good ones recommended on Tripadvisor. The average price is about $65/day for the driver and guide; extra for going to Banteay Srei (+$20) and Beng Melea(+$40). This save you from the hustlings for tours by the hotel staff, taxi and tuk tuk drivers. (If you do not have a tour arranged and do not want this constant hustling, just tell them you already have a guide.) I would opt for a car tour rather than tuk-tuk because it it faster (especially if you are going to Beng Melea), dust-free and air-conditioned. Cambodia is humid and hot, and it is so nice to get an ice cold water after a tour of one temple and then sit in an air-conditioned car enroute to the next temple. Plus the tour guides know where to avoid the crowd to see the sunrise over Ankor Wat.

All in all, we had the most marvelous stay and I would return in a heartbeat. It was low season during our stay and we like the quiet, relaxing pace of the hotel.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

This hotel had mixed reviews when we selected it, but didn't have too many choices in December's peak season. There was one reviewer who hit the nail on the head, and my review will be quite similar. The initial impression was great. We were picked up by hotel staff at the airport, a young guy who seemed a little over eager. We got fresh moist towels in the transport that took us on the 10 minute ride to the hotel, and waited comfortably on a couch to be checked in by the same person. The guy checked us in, but seemed very eager to explain all the things that we could do in Siem Reap, and then seemed intent on signing us up with a tour company. We already had a tuk-tuk driver recommended to us and arranged for the next morning, so eventually we somewhat forcefully had to say "we are tired and just want to go to our room and don't need any tour services".

The next morning's included breakfast buffet was a spectacle and disaster. The food was very average - nothing that I would spend money on, and staff couldn't understand the simplest instructions. Eggs with no oil? 1 ladle of oil for each egg. Egg white omelette? 2 fried eggs coming up. We brushed off the language gap and ate something before leaving on our tours. Tip: Watch out for the bus fulls of Korean and Japanese tourists. They grab all the food they can, cut you off, and leave the tables in a mess.

When we came back we reminded the front desk that the power had gone out in our room in the middle of the night. We got back to our rooms to find out that every time we turned on the air conditioning, the circuit breaker tripped. I'm an electrical engineer, so obviously I know it's a load issue. That night we had multiple power outages again. The front desk tried to assure us that it was a government power cut, but how come the street and other rooms still had power? Clearly not a well thought out response on their part. They tried to ask me questions about whether I tried various things when I called at 3 am. Is it really my problem to fix? I've had better service at a 3 start holiday inn.

The next day after our tours, we went for a swim. We ordered some food by the pool. Our food was about to arrive and I flagged down the staff person I had asked 15 minutes ago for towels since the cabana was out. I was then told the hotel had run out of towels. How can a hotel run out of towels? And what am I supposed to do? I just got in the pool and need to dry off since my food is about to be placed at our table.

After a rather unpleasant stay overall, we asked for a cab to be called to take us to the airport at 6:30 am. At 6:40 we were at the front desk waiting, yet no cab. They had decided to pool all the guests together to take them to the airport and save on gas. I asked about our cab, and they said "don't worry, the airport is only 5 minutes away. You'll still make your flight". I reminded them that I asked for a cab at 6:30, not advice on what to do in order to catch my flight. Finally at 7am we left with 6 other people in the same bus that brought us to the hotel.

Much to be worked on - the property itself is beautiful, but the experience is only as good as the service. For the over $300 a night we had to pay for this place, it was the least satisfactory, considering we had stayed at many other hotels like the St. Regis, Mandarin Oriental and Le Meridien for less in the region. If you want to price and call yourself at 5 start hotel, you need to deliver better than Holiday Inn service - and in this case, that would be an insult to the Holiday Inn because I've stayed there as well and had excellent experiences.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple