“Far from everything and they overcharge”

Sokhalay Angkor Villa Resort
Chicago, Illinois
“Far from everything and they overcharge”
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

First the good,

The hotel is very nice and the rooms are big and made of solid wood. The pool is nice. People are always nice and the price was not bad for low season.

The bad

The hotel is 5 km from the center of town and they quote 5 USD to town by tuk tuk. This is way more than from the airport to town. Food inside the hotel was super expensive as well as drinks. The SPA was twice the price of other spas. We ended up expending a lot of money back and forth to Siem Reap itself.

The room is big and the aircondtioning was bot strong enough to cool it down.

1 Thank RRodolfo
SokhalayVilla, Senior E-Commerce Manager at Sokhalay Angkor Villa Resort, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear RRodolfo,

We deeply apologize for the air-conditioning issues in our resort at the moment but we are doing and stepping up measures to alleviate this issue in the resort. We understand the inconvenience that it had caused you and rest assured that we will work our part on improving our guest issues’ resolution as well as improving our service wholly.

We would gladly review the issue you have mentioned and please accept our apologies for your inconvenience.
Hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Senior E-Commerce Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Maryland
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I spend 3 nights in the hotel. I booked after finding a deal for about $50 per night including breakfast. There are also villas and the Inn. I originally booked at the Inn, but was told of an upgrade when I arrived. I had booked for a 3 room and the hotel room only had 2 beds, but they quickly added another. It wasn't as comfortable as the other beds, but it was sufficient.

We received a free airport pickup. I wasn't sure if they were going to be there after my fairly late email of inquiry, but it surely was a relief to come out to a sign with my name. We waited a few minutes for another guest, received cold water, and then were on our way. The hotel is located pretty near the airport on a road with a bunch of other similar looking hotels. Upon arrival, we were given very nice welcome drinks and cold towels. Check-in was easy.

It was about a $8/15 minute tuk-tuk ride roundtrip to the Pub St. area. There are drivers waiting in front of the hotel. We also used the driver service for a day at Beng Mealea. I paid $75 for about a 4 hour venture. That was mainly because my children wanted to come back early. I still think it was quite pricey for what it was.

Wifi was included but we had some really slow moments. We had one morning where the power went out. There was construction happening, so I don't know if it was the cause. My view also was of a big muddy worksite.

Pros include a nice breakfast buffet, attentive staff, and the largest hotel room that I've ever experienced. The outdoor pool is gorgeous. They provide you with many amenities like robes, slippers, toiletries. We enjoyed rain showerhead. I'm not sure if there weren't many people in the hotel, but it certainly was quiet. Also, I did not feel any pressure to book tours, etc.

Cons are that the indoor pool was very dark and floor seemed quite filthy and full of dead bugs. The restaurant food was okay but there are so many cheaper and better choices on Pub St. Also the massages were so much more expensive in the hotel. I didn't use them but I would recommend waiting until you get into town where you can get a lot more for less. The hotel hallway is also a little creepy.

I ended up extending my stay as my flight wasn't until almost 10 pm. I paid about $40 to stay until the evening.

So overall, this is very good value for money. I would love to try the villas if I was to come again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Msafrica,

We are very delighted to hear about your compliments as well as your recommendations and, most of all, your wonderful stay in our resort. My team and I are glad that you had a luxurious retreat and it would be a pleasure for us to have you back here with us in the future.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night in this hotel.
The pros
-they provided free air port pick up which was very convenient
- staff were friendly & helpful. They even helped to call our appointed tour guide when we were not able to find him
- huge rooms
- beautiful surrounding with many trees. Very peaceful & quiet.
- had an indoor & outdoor pool ! But we did not have the time to try it out
- breakfast was allright. Pancakes & waffles were good
- buggy service from our villa to the main lobby was provided

The cons
- one of the rooms smelt abit musty
- wifi was slow in the room, could be because it was so far from the main building

Overall a pleasant stay in this hotel

• Stayed July 2014
Dear ChingM,

It is wonderful to hear about your compliments and we are very delighted that you had enjoyed your stay in this storied hotel. Including the Sokhalay Angkor Villa Resort in your favorite resorts list is more than just a compliment and an inspiration for our team.
We look to welcome you back again anytime you need a tranquil and luxurious holiday. Thank you very much !

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stayed in a villa by the pool and could walk out from the back patio to the pool area. Grounds beautiful, pool empty, room fantastic. Good value with breakfast and a free spa since we stayed 3 nights. I would stay here again!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear JenRodes,

It is always wonderful to receive compliments such as yours. Your review means a great deal to our team. We are pleased that you had ended your three-night stay with us and your Angkor exploration on a high note. I hope that you had wonderful memories to match your experience in Cambodia and we look forward to your return in the future.

Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

I have to agree with josh and jamals review below, it summarises the hotel perfectly.
We also stayed here on the basis that it was a 5 star hotel, it would be more closely related to a 3 star hotel . On arrival, the hotel lobby was beautifully presented and staff were very friendly and helpful. We got a caddy to our poolside villa which on initial inspection looks amazing, however there are a lot of negatives.
The shower rim constantly fills with water during each shower and floods the floor, making it sloppy and dangerous to get out. The room is very dark and lighting is badly positioned, no lights where they are needed and you have to turn off the smaller / useless lights insidiously at night (they are not connected to the main switch).
The hotel robes they provide are filthy and not ironed. They have make up and juice stains on them and are awful quality.
On our first day we had lunch in the hotel, $33 for 2 mains and 2 drinks, very expensive, and there were flies everywhere.

The buffet breakfast was average, cereals were stale, fruit selection was poor and the food was covered in flies, it was disgusting and very unhygienic. On our second day they had out some plastic covers on the fruit but there was a hole in the top of each cover so it meant that the flies that in were then trapped in there! I barely ate anything.

The pool looks beautiful but none of the filters work and is therefore very dirty.

There were also come positives: the scenery is beautiful. The grounds and gardens are very well kept and add to the scenery around wooden villas.

The staff were nice but I felt were hanging around for a tip after everything (the safe in our room needed a new battery so I rang and they came down. I would always tip for good service - at lunch or for carrying heavy bags- but not for fixing something small that should have been working in the first place).

The hotel is located around 10 minute tuk tuk from town, you can get a ride one way for between $3-4 dollars in low season if you bargain well, and is only 10 minute taxi from the airport.

Be wary of the taxi drivers who also double as a tour guide / restaurant owner/ bus operator. They will try and sell you everything they can , while making sure they make a profit. We bought one day tour from ours in ignorance and had to cut the day short (finish at 1.30 instead of 6) and he still insisted on the full price. We only got $5 off I'm the end . Rip off, but the same could have happened if we went with the hotel, I don't know. We didn't use the hotel tour guides so don't know how they compare, but they might be a bit safer.

I was extremely disappointed and would not come back.

Dear Lennywithay,

We deeply apologize for the room dark and lighting is badly positioned issues in our resort at the moment but we are doing and stepping up measures to alleviate this issue in the resort. We understand the inconvenience that it had caused you and rest assured that we will work our part on improving our guest issues’ resolution as well as improving our service wholly.
It is a pleasure to hear, however, that despite the inconvenience, you still had a wonderful stay at the historic Sokhalay Angkor Villa Resort.

Thank you very much for staying with us and we hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed in a pool villa, Khmer style decor. Huge rooms. Excellent service. The Resort requires a buggy to get around or to the entrance of the hotel and it's near town about 4km away. A nice and quiet resort. With good facilities and an inhouse spa in the main building.

1 Thank Sherry F
Dear Sherry F,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for sharing your feedback on your stay. We hope that you had a wonderful stay with us and an inspiring visit to Siem Reap, Cambodia.
It would be a pleasure to welcome you back again to the historic Sokhalay Angkor Villa Resort in the future.

Okinawa, Japan
Reviewed 3 July 2014

My wife and I stayed in the Skhalay Angkor Villa Resort for six nights and were somewhat disappointed with our stay. To be fair, the hotel had both positive and negative qualities, but unfortunately more negative than positive. Before booking our reservation, we looked at the hotel's reviews and were under the impression that it was a 4-5 star hotel. Unfortunately we got a 3-star hotel.

FIRST I WILL SUMMARIZE SOME OF THE NEGATIVES…
1. The room is EXTREMELY dark inside. The windows have shutters that block out most of the light, and there are only a couple lamps in the room. Additionally, all of the buildings are very close to one another, so there's very little direct sunlight, and the remaining light is blocked out by all of the trees and bushes. It was the darkest hotel room I have EVER stayed in. We wanted a bright, open, tropical experience and got a dark cave. Very disappointing.
2. Next, the room was worn out. The floor was in very bad shape, and the room seemed old; same with the bathroom. It's obvious that the hotel has made numerous repairs over the years, but they did some shoddy finishing work. It just looked worn out.
3. It appeared that someone repaired a bicycle in the bath tub (lots of chips and scratches), and the shower curtain was extremely moldy. My wife was afraid to touch the curtain. No matter how careful you are, the entire bathroom floor floods whenever you shower because of the terrible design. When you're done showering and climb out of the shower/tub, you step into a huge puddle. It takes several towels to clean up the mess; every time!
4. There's only one plug in the room that's compatible with recharging your laptop computer, iPad, or cellular phone. This is also very annoying. If you want to utilize an additional plug, you must move the bed and you'll need an adapter.
5. The villas are a short distance from the hotel lobby. As a result, they offer a golf cart to transport you to/from your villa. This is particularly handy during the rainy season. Amusingly however, whenever you call for a ride, the phone is answered by someone to barely speaks english, and it takes several minutes for them to comprehend that you want a ride. It seems like a simple request, but apparently it's not. So… we usually just walked; rain or no rain.
6. The restaurant is beautiful, but is also below average. It's an open-air restaurant, (beautiful), but you can't eat breakfast or dinner without being swarmed by flies. Same goes for the buffet! After every two bites, you have to swat the flies away. Additionally, the quality of the breakfast buffet was average, at best. This was due to a combination of the flies, the cleanliness, the quality of food and the inconsistent service. They had a wide variety of food, but the other detractors made it a 3-star dining experience.

HERE ARE SOME POSITIVES...
1. The landscaping is very beautiful. The palms trees and flowers make the area very attractive.
2. The hotel staff is very friendly (overall). But despite their friendliness, the service can be slow.
3. The pool is large and beautiful (although only a few feet deep). Be aware that the local cambodians can pay to use the pool, so it's not exclusively used by hotel guests. However, the pool bar is very nice and the service is excellent. It's a beautiful setting. The pool and bar was our favorite part of the hotel.
4. The concierge is very helpful when reserving tours and transportation.

In summary, our experience at Sokhalay Angkor Villa Resort was fine, but definitely NOT 4-star. The hotel's advertisements are deceiving, because the resort isn't as high quality as they'd like you to believe. We felt that the hotel needed renovations, but instead of maintaining the existing facilities, they're adding another tower. Their priority seems to be increasing their maximum occupancy rather than maintaining the quality of their resort. Of the four hotels we stayed in during our 3-week vacation, this hotel was the least impressive. If you want 4-star luxury, select a different hotel. This was our first vacation in over two years, and I spent one third of it at a hotel that didn't meet our expectations. It was a bit disappointing.

Room Tip: If you're reserving a villa, ask for an upstairs room and your room might get more light. The ro...