“Nice villa”

Sokhalay Angkor Resort & Spa
Reviewed 28 July 2014

The villa was quite a steal at 45usd/night since it was the rainy season. We got upgraded to the pool view villa, and they allowed us to check in early. The staff were friendly, and we could take the complimentary buggy since it's quite a walk to get to the lobby. The location is slightly off the rest of the town, but it is still 5-10 minutes away from everything. The breakfast had a big selection of food that was pretty decent. Too bad we didn't have time to swim at the big swimming pool. The bath tub looked great, but unfortunately the water leaks out to the floor even when the shower curtains were closed, and there were some stains that looked like dried up super glue. It didn't bother us much since we were out most of the day.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
SokhalayVilla, Senior E-Commerce Manager at Sokhalay Angkor Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Eileen S,

We deeply apologize for the water leaks issues in our resort at the moment but we are doing and stepping up measures to alleviate this issue in the resort. We understand the inconvenience that it had caused you and rest assured that we will work our part on improving our guest issues’ resolution as well as improving our service wholly.

We would gladly review the issue you have mentioned and please accept our apologies for your inconvenience.
Hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Sokhalay is a big & nice hotel in Siem Reap. It is on road n• 6 , just only 10 minute drive from airport . The room is big , clean & comfortable . The staff is friendly . I really love the pool surrounding by green tree & flower ! Buffet breakfast is huge .

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank SokunthearyKado

Dear SokunthearyKado,

Thank you very much for your wonderful compliments which I would definitely share with my team. We are glad that you appreciate the charming details of this historic resort and I hope that you had a great and luxurious stay with us.
We look forward to welcoming back on your return.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed for 2 nights at this hotel, from 10-12 Jul and we had a good experience! When we arrived in the airport, the pickup had already arrived, and it was a huge minibus/van for the both of us. The manager at the hotel was very helpful and friendly, helped us to check in and had us sit in the lobby for a welcome drink (YUMMY!) while waiting for check in. He brought us around and the room was a short buggy ride away. Had an upgrade to pool view + early check in (probably due to low season). The outdoor pool is huge by the way! We didn't get to swim due to time constraints but if we'd stayed longer, we'd totally swim in there. When we arrived at the room, realised it was actually quite dark in the room. Inadequate lighting but easily solved by opening the windows (there are mosquito screens so no worries here). The rooms are big and comfortable, but even though it's a rather new hotel, I think because there are a lot of wood furnishings and stuff so the upkeep wasn't done very well - it didn't look very new and bathtub had a little bit of stains. However, we had a good price from Expedia so doesn't really bother me.

One thing to note though, it's a short walk to the main lobby building but when it rains heavily, the buggies will get really busy and we waited like close to 15mins even though our pick up to town had arrived in the lobby. Breakfast was a good selection of food - quality was alright, I wouldn't say great but palatable! Concierge was a little slow when busy, but can't really blame them.

Overall, good service and value for money - comfortable stay! We bargained and got $4 ride for a tuk tuk back from Night Market btw. He quoted like $5. Anyway, it's a short 7mins ride into the town area & about 10-15mins to Angkor temples so location was alright for us.

Room Tip: Rooms with pool view! Also, if you have a lot of luggage, request for the lower floor - benefits are...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
SokhalayVilla, Senior E-Commerce Manager at Sokhalay Angkor Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Jetsetluv,

It is wonderful to receive your positive feedback that you had a great and memorable stay at the Sokhalay Angkor Villa Resort. It is a pleasure to know that you had enjoyed the luxuries that we provide and your kind comments on the experience and the little touches are really appreciated.
We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

This hotel has 3 different sections. We stayed at the Villas. They are connected to the main building and you are easily transferred to your room via golf carts. The Villas are two story attached units in a very lush ( Jungle like settings ). The rooms are comfortable and clean. They are 4 star or 3+ and was very acceptable to us as we typically stay in 5 star hotels. We did not want to pay $1000/night at Aman resorts so we picked this hotel and we enjoyed it. Compared to the rest of Asia, Siem Reap is expensive and everything is in dollar. The hotel picks you up at the airport for $10 and going in to Pub street is $10 as well. TukTuk ride is about $2-3

Room Tip: The Villas are the best but be sure to ask fora room that is not covered with too much greens as it...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Eileen S,

Your compliments mean so much to our team and continue to inspire us even more. The Sokhalay Angkor Group, indeed, is a landmark in Siem Reap, and its charms, complemented by impeccable service, is what makes it legendary.
Thank you very much and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

In Siem Reap to tour temples. This hotel was reasonable in price, turned out to be quite luxurious. I appreciated the breakfast buffet, great coffee (hard to find outside of Starbucks or Europe), wonderful service. We cooled off in the pool daily and just enjoyed relaxing and having dinner there. Staff was terrific.... 5 star service .... 5 star pool
The room was lovely. Our air conditioning cooled our room very very well and we had it turned back a notch.
bathroom was luxurious. space was ample and comfortable for the 3 of us. Bedding was inviting. Internet was fine for Cambodia.

Yes, it is a ride a bit out of town. When someone asks for $5 US, you can offer $2, agree on $3.50. I see no point in arguing for less than one Starbucks coffee.
Two nights we went into town, one for a 'cirque du soleil' type show, which was great, and another to watch the evening flight of the bats. Every night around 7 pm, thousands of bats leave the trees of this one park and fly to fruit trees around the temples to feed. It is a worthwhile spectacle for the naturalist. Night market was easier to navigate here than in Phnom Penh - they are more accustomed to tourists. prices are better in the Penh!

Room Tip: Our rooms were in the villa - there were no hallways, just an indoor large area where we registered...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Ann Andy,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback on your stay with us. We appreciate your feedback as it is only through such that we are able to maintain and improve the standard of our service worthy of the Sokhalay Angkor Villa Resort.
Please be assured that we will take all your comments into consideration to provide impeccable service to our guests.

Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

First the good,

The hotel is very nice and the rooms are big and made of solid wood. The pool is nice. People are always nice and the price was not bad for low season.

The bad

The hotel is 5 km from the center of town and they quote 5 USD to town by tuk tuk. This is way more than from the airport to town. Food inside the hotel was super expensive as well as drinks. The SPA was twice the price of other spas. We ended up expending a lot of money back and forth to Siem Reap itself.

The room is big and the aircondtioning was bot strong enough to cool it down.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank RRodolfo
SokhalayVilla, Senior E-Commerce Manager at Sokhalay Angkor Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear RRodolfo,

We deeply apologize for the air-conditioning issues in our resort at the moment but we are doing and stepping up measures to alleviate this issue in the resort. We understand the inconvenience that it had caused you and rest assured that we will work our part on improving our guest issues’ resolution as well as improving our service wholly.

Hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

I spend 3 nights in the hotel. I booked after finding a deal for about $50 per night including breakfast. There are also villas and the Inn. I originally booked at the Inn, but was told of an upgrade when I arrived. I had booked for a 3 room and the hotel room only had 2 beds, but they quickly added another. It wasn't as comfortable as the other beds, but it was sufficient.

We received a free airport pickup. I wasn't sure if they were going to be there after my fairly late email of inquiry, but it surely was a relief to come out to a sign with my name. We waited a few minutes for another guest, received cold water, and then were on our way. The hotel is located pretty near the airport on a road with a bunch of other similar looking hotels. Upon arrival, we were given very nice welcome drinks and cold towels. Check-in was easy.

It was about a $8/15 minute tuk-tuk ride roundtrip to the Pub St. area. There are drivers waiting in front of the hotel. We also used the driver service for a day at Beng Mealea. I paid $75 for about a 4 hour venture. That was mainly because my children wanted to come back early. I still think it was quite pricey for what it was.

Wifi was included but we had some really slow moments. We had one morning where the power went out. There was construction happening, so I don't know if it was the cause. My view also was of a big muddy worksite.

Pros include a nice breakfast buffet, attentive staff, and the largest hotel room that I've ever experienced. The outdoor pool is gorgeous. They provide you with many amenities like robes, slippers, toiletries. We enjoyed rain showerhead. I'm not sure if there weren't many people in the hotel, but it certainly was quiet. Also, I did not feel any pressure to book tours, etc.

Cons are that the indoor pool was very dark and floor seemed quite filthy and full of dead bugs. The restaurant food was okay but there are so many cheaper and better choices on Pub St. Also the massages were so much more expensive in the hotel. I didn't use them but I would recommend waiting until you get into town where you can get a lot more for less. The hotel hallway is also a little creepy.

I ended up extending my stay as my flight wasn't until almost 10 pm. I paid about $40 to stay until the evening.

So overall, this is very good value for money. I would love to try the villas if I was to come again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Msafrica,

We are very delighted to hear about your compliments as well as your recommendations and, most of all, your wonderful stay in our resort. My team and I are glad that you had a luxurious retreat and it would be a pleasure for us to have you back here with us in the future.