“Dirty old place”

The Siem Reap Central Hostel
Ranked #205 of 279 Speciality Lodging in Siem Reap
“Dirty old place”
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

Spent two nights in this hostel with my two daughters and my wife. Unfortunately the booking was pre-arranged by our tourist guide who commented that due to the peak season there was no other choice. Price was reasonable at $25/night/room for a double and a twin. However the cleanliness of this place was scary. The bathroom was dirty everything leaked, the toilet seat was lying on the floor. Not a pretty sight. Dust as old as Angkor Wat had deposited over the whole place. There is a bare minimum in housekeeping which has been overlooked.

Stayed December 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Mawanella
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Good and clean (Don’t expect star class It’s a Hostel), I can’t believe why don’t they change their name to hotel, coz the rooms are so nice, the staff too is friendly and game for anything, they would help you in any way, and it’s like family, we really enjoyed staying there may be they did not, coz few of my friends were drunken trouble makers, but they tolerated, The BF is great the bread was really nice you should try it, ohhh watch your shoes never leave it at the door specially if it’s expensive, my friend lost his shoes

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Do not support this hotel - it is definitely not worth it to stay here. If you walk up a bit, you find much better hotels for almost the same price!

The reception guy did not help me with the heavy luggage, instead he preferred to look at his nails.
It was not possible to pay by card though it was said at the beginning.
The bathroom is constantly wet and dirty.
The room was gloomy.
A lot of aggressive tuk tuk drivers in front that charge you the double of the usual price.

All in all> bad service, small room, which is not clean at all and not worth it even one dollar.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Siem Reap hotels

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We were taken to this place against our will, and when we said that we didn't want to stay we were abused and threatened. A group of them (including a manager) tried to be physically intimidating. As we walked away they were still shouting insults and threats.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Mupovski
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I had no problem with the services of the hostel, everything seemed to be ok, until the last night when we had to pack because we were planning to leave the next day. Than we have realized that we got stolen. Several hundred euros were stolen in cash. And from all the currencies we had also with. What was strange is that not everything was stolen, only a part of the cash. Maybe they thought it will not be noticed.
When I went to complain to the reception they were not helpful at all. I was supposed to be responsible while not using the safes downstairs, but I had an own room with a locked door.
When asking for the boss, it was told he would come in the morning. In the morning of course he did not appear at the mentioned time and was told he never comes that early.
Since the plane was leaving I had no other choice than to leave. When I want to make a report at the police at the airport I was told that this should have been made at the hotel which of course was not mentioned by the employees.
What I got was only an email address where I have written and asked at least to send me a police report so that I could use my travel insurance to cover my losses. I didn't even get an answer!

Also had an other problem. I wanted to cancel my tuk-tuk driver and asked the receptionist to call him. I was told he would do it but in the end the driver was not called.

If I would have at least receive an answer, I would have given an average rating for the hostel, but with this service level I would not propose anyone to go there.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Hacek2013
Vientiane, Laos
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Caught the reception staff peeking through the window of the room late at night. The worst experience I've had with hostel staff in months of travelling. They didn't apologize.

Also, dirty and terrible bathrooms.

Just don't stay here. Just don't.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Elik43
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The main problem with the room is the smell! The beds were soiled and musty. The sheets and pillowcases were dirty!
Not worth the money.. Plenty of better hostels on the same strip ie Siem Reap Hostel...

• Stayed July 2013