“Fantastic experience!”

Malika d'Angkor Boutique Hotel
Ranked #340 of 365 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I was over in Siem Reap for a quick holiday. Stayed in this hotel for a few days. Overall, it was a fantastic experience! Staff were very courteous and friendly who spoke English very well. Rooms were clean and food was good as well. So basically, I had a great stay here! Thanks guys!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Bigdreamer101

Reviewed 14 July 2013

If you are looking for over the top luxury, this definitely isn't for you. Its quite which was nice, friendly staff and helpful. The rooms were clean, air conditioning was a plus. Breakfast was good, but I'd definitely go to the local markets for Khmer food. Take a business card with you, cos the streets in this town aren't named very well.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 June 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed for a few days at the Phoum Khmer hotel. While the hotel itself is very nice and the staff very nice and friendly even if their english is not always perfect, it is really very far from the main tourist complex in Seam Riep, and you have to pay 2-3 dollars for tuktuk to get there and again to get back. There is no real road to speak of in the adjacent streets, thoughI understand one may be built soon. The company that works with/runs the hotel also deals with guided tours and such, and we got a temple pass, tuktuk driver and tour guide from them. While it could have been cheaper; we decided to go with the company to save trouble.. but mostly there was no one to talk to. We wanted to postpone the trip in a day, but apparently they didnt tell the driver so that he just got there and just waited for no reason. Following day they didnt tell the driver the time so me, my girlfriend and the tour guide just waited for half an hour. The following day we wanted to change a bus from Phnom Pehn to Poipet as we wanted to get back to Thailand faster, and while there was no refund given for the difference (7 dollars per person), the company made us go through a lot of hoops to back to Thailand, and if it wasn't for the nice tuktuk driver from the tour, we would have probably missed the bus completely. So long story short, go to the hotel if you don't care about the distance, but talk to the tour guides/tuktuk drivers independantly.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Struck a nice deal for 3D/2N. It included airports transfers. I was picked up by a tuktuk which was waiting for me already. Driver was very friendly. The hotel has a homey vibe. Quite clean. Staff was very friendly, accommodating to your needs & helpful. They can also speak English. It's away from the main road & its hustle & bustle. Despite that, it's 5 to 15 minutes away by tuktuk from the tourist attractions & other happening places. Safe too. They have good/fast wifi at all areas of the hotel even in the room! The only drawback was that the airconditioning sucked big time & if you decide to eat at their restaurant, you have to let them know in advance (Pro: You know the ingredients the use are fresh). Otherwise, you have to eat out & they can arrange a tuktuk to drive you for a fee. There's a bar at the corner which can walk to but not advisable though. I'd definitely go back to this place as long as they solve the a/c problem.

Room Tip: Check out the a/c first. You'll need a good one taking into consideration the heat & high hu...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank BebotXII
Reviewed 12 March 2013

I stayed at the Phoum Khmer Hotel in early 2013 for 8 nights. It was part of a package I booked through Expedia and I stayed in a Deluxe Suite. When I was first offered this hotel online, there were only 5-6 reviews for it here, all glowing - so I went ahead and booked it. As you will find out, the hotel is decent, but I think the glowing reviews are a stretch and my experience there was a mixed bag.

One of the hotel managers told me during my stay that the hotel used to only cater to Cambodian tourists in past, but they underwent a renovation recently so that they could accommodate international tourists. The property itself is comfortable (as you will find out) but they have a few issues to sort out.

Here is a list of what was good/great about this hotel:

- the staff are super friendly and willing to call tuk tuks, book shows, etc for you
- the Deluxe Suite that I had was very large, clean and overall, in good shape
- the bed was surprisingly comfortable as I prefer firmer mattresses
- the air conditioner (when it worked) was welcome in the Cambodian heat
- a basic breakfast was included in the room rate
- free two way transfers to/from the airport were included
- refrigerator and kettle in the room for cooling drinks and making coffee/tea
- they supply a couple bottles (about a litre in total) of drinking water to your room

Here is what I did not like about his hotel:

- the rooms are really basic (but comfortable)
- maid service was erratic and inconsistent at best - of the 8 days/nights I was there, my room was only cleaned 4 times (thank goodness I am not a messy person)
- even though the staff were friendly, when I asked about getting my room cleaned (or dealing with other issues), etc., I was often met with a nod and a blank stare, but nothing usually got done until late the next day
- the walls and doors are thin, so you can hear all of the noise in the hallways and sometimes in other rooms
- the hotel is located in the outer part of Siem Reap along a dirt road and is about a 10 minute tuk tuk ride (about $USD 2.00) into the main market area and Pub Street
- there is not much in the way of restaurants, shops in the area, so you must go into town (30 minute walk or 10 minute tuk tuk ride) for meals, shopping
- free local tuk tuk rides were advertised on the hotel website (until the end of March 2013), but apparently this was not the case when I arrived

While in Siem Reap (and at this hotel), we had a major electricity outage - there was an accident at the Thai border which knocked out power intermittently for about 4 days. Once in a while there would be electricity for a couple of hours (usually in the middle of the night), but it would then go out for a long time until the next day.

This, of course, was not the hotel's fault, nor do I blame them for it. I do think, however, they could have handled the situation a lot better.

Here are my suggestions to the hotel management as a result of this power outage:

- Buy a backup generator. At least that would give your guests the chance to have a few hours of electricity (in the evening and early morning) during outages.
- Even though your staff cannot wash towels/sheets when the electricity stops (as I was told), perhaps you could refresh the rooms by making up the beds, replacing the toilet paper, etc?
- Even though the 4 day electricity outage was not the hotel's fault, I was offered a $USD 10.00 refund on the $USD 500.00 I paid for the room because of the inconvenience (we also lost water for a day or so as well). I wasn't too sure what to make of this offer as it amounts to 2% of my payment to the hotel, but 50% of my stay was interrupted. If cash refunds are an issue for the hotel, perhaps find another way (free meals, shows, tuk tuks, etc) to compensate your guests?

Like I stated earlier, my experience at this hotel was a mixed bag. It was an OK place to stay (if you ignore the power outage) but I wouldn't rush back to stay there. I spoke many other tourists who paid the same (or less) than I did for a hotel closer to town and they received better service.

I definitely plan to visit Siem Reap/Cambodia again as it is an amazing place. I do plan, however, to stay at another hotel when I do return.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank NomadicCanuck
Reviewed 25 February 2013

The glowing reviews for this hotel are, in my opinion, a touch far-fetched. The rooms are spacious, with good lighting and the beds are lovely, but nothing marks this hotel out as special when compared to all the other hotels in Siem Reap.

We booked a twin room, only to be told there were plumbing issues which meant we were given a double room for one night and then moved back to the twin room the day after. They were apologetic and made the transition as easy as possible for us. The rooms themselves are good, the bathrooms (although apparently newly built) were starting to show some heavy signs of wear and tear. The doors are so thin that you hear everyone walking along your corridor and going in/out of the rooms near you.

Breakfast was rather bland. There was a little "buffet" of noodles, stir-fried vegetables, and boiled rice. Toast with marmalade was also available. There was coffee and tea but no milk or creamer (and the coffee was cold). All in all, it filled you up but there was nothing special about it.

The hotel is situated off of the main road via a dusty dirt trail. They say the road will be paved soon. You need to catch a tuk tuk ($2 for a trip into the Old Market or Pub Street in Siem Reap) to get into town. It takes 5 minutes to wait for a tuk tuk (the staff arranges that) if there isn't one waiting, and the ride into town is around 5 minutes.

The saving graces for this hotel are the helpful staff and the complimentary airport transfers (round-trip - although make sure this is highlighted when you book). Staff were always on hand to help (although after 10p.m. the receptionist doesn't handle English very well) and sorted out issues with a smile. I do believe this is true of most hotels in Siem Reap as the Cambodians are a generally hospitable people with a keen sense of service.

The hotel has satellite television and free WiFi (1Mbps) is available throughout the place.

In conclusion, this hotel is good value for money (~£30/night) and is a decent 3-star establishment (without a pool). Nothing more, nothing less.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank chefmignon
Reviewed 11 February 2013

Spend three nights here when we came to see the Angkor Wat temples. The rooms were quite large and clean, with a great view overlooking the street. The location was convenient as there were plenty of restaurants within walking distance.

The staff was helpful with arranging drivers and tour guides on a short notice. A+ service.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends