“Ridiculously Helpful Staff, Standard Accommodation”
Review of Im Malis Hotel

Im Malis Hotel
Ranked #320 of 529 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 December 2012

Im Malis is a great hotel / guesthouse to stay at if you're on a budget and aren't expecting any frills. With a free breakfast, minibar and free tea, coffee & bananas 24/7, I can see why it's a favourite on tripadvisor.

The breakfast was delicious and really started each day off well. The reception staff were also really sweet and willing to help with absolutely anything. Upon arrival the young chap told us all about the temple tours and really gave a great overview. He even offered to lend us his book on Angkor Watt.

The room itself was really basic and sadly had a lot of mosquitos in the bathroom, like hundreds. It smelt musty and had a rank view, but unlike many budget hotels, at least it had a window and the hotel staff seemed to be forever cleaning your room (twice a day).

In terms of location, it's only a short walk (5 minutes) to the main backpacker strip, which is nice as I wouldn't want to stay down that road.

Room Tip: Expect budget and you'll be pleasantly surprised.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank TerenceCraven

Reviewed 2 December 2012

The Im Malis was recommended to us by friends who had stayed there. We found it excellent value. It is a small hotel with 12 guest rooms. We had a room on the first floor facing the street. There is a place opposite that rents motorbikes and plays music but this was always kept to reasonable hours. Our room was comfortable and clean - they cleaned it twice a day and we got fresh towels every day. The air-conditioning was a necessity and worked well. The staff were very friendly and helpful. They couldn’t do enough for us. When we returned from excursions they greeted us with chilled towels and cool drinks. In the reception area tea and coffee, and also those delicious little bananas, were available all the time - just help yourself. Breakfast was more than adequate, with juices, fresh fruit, a choice of eggs and bread/toast with butter and jam, plus tea/coffee. Wireless internet worked well in the reception area. As it was early in the season (end Oct.) there were few guests and it was very quiet. The sink in our bathroom was slow running, that's about our only criticism.

The location of the Im Malis is ideal. It is in a small street close to the centre of town. It is an easy 10 min. walk to the Pub Street area where all the restaurants are, as well as the Old Market and many other shops. The Night Markets are also about 10 mins. away.

The Im Malis provides complimentary transfers by tuk tuk on arrival/departure. We arrived by ship and they had agreed to pick us up from the port, and when we left they took us to the airport.

We were more than happy with the Im Malis and would highly recommend it as a budget hotel.

Room Tip: Maybe choose a room facing the back if you like to sleep in. Our room was on the first floor facing...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Colin M
Reviewed 25 November 2012

Im Malis was a great home for our 5 nights in Siem Reap.

From the welcome to check-out, they took such good care of us. The rooms are simple but have everything you need. They are cleaned twice per day, the bed was so comfy, and my husband was thrilled with the sports coverage on TV. But I have to say, it's the over-the-top friendliness of the staff that stands out & makes Im Malis such a great home away from home. The only reason I haven't given an "Excellent" rating is because the bathrooms could use a bit of an update.

We highly recommend our Tuk-Tuk Driver, Mr. Houng (ID 017). You can book him directly with Im Malis. He was always on time, always had a smile and was willing to do whatever he could to make sure we were happy and comfortable for 2 days. A really nice, friendly guy, he made our stay in Siem Reap very special.

Thank you to all at Im Malis, we will recommend Im Malis and Mr. Houng to our friends & family in Canada & England.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 November 2012

This hotel is really good place to stay. Very clean (they clean the room twice a day) and lovely place. The staff always smiling and very helpful. And the best is...really 24 hours hot coffee, tea and bananas. It's really something especially after long excursion to Angkor Vat or to other places near Siem Reap. So even at night you find something to drink and eat.
I can recommend this hotel with clear conscience.

Room Tip: They haven't elevator.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 November 2012

I spent 4 nights at Im Malis hotel. They were extremely friendly from the very beginning. Organised everything what I asked. Got me a reliable, kind tuktuk driver and an experienced, intelligent, king guide. If you travel to Siem Reap, ask for Mr. Caom as a driver and In Khemrin as a guide. They`ll make your trip more memorable.
Back to the hotel: the room was very clean, the staff cleaned it twice a day. They have free internet connection, and you can have tea or coffee and bananas all day for free.
I needed a haircut while I was there, one of the receptionists took me to his barber with his own motorbike. He also joined me for a boattrip on Tonle Sap river and helped me there with everything.
The location is good (10 minutes from the city center, so it`s close, but enough far for being calm during the night.
The price is cheap compared with the quality of the service.
And one more thing: those young guys at the hotel really work hard for living, let`s make it easier for them a bit.
Perfect choice, really.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 August 2012

I enjoy my stay at...........(hotel's name) in Cambodia. The staff was very nice, friendly, attentive and also helpful. They was willing to give an information and go out of their way to make sure your stay is enjoyable. The hotel was clean and so comfortable. It made me feel like my home. I have no wonder if I will go Cambodia again, I will stay this hotel again. Finally, I would like to say "Thank you so muchhh" for all.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 August 2012 via mobile

This has been my best stay in Cambodia. The staff is very friendly, attentive and competent. My room was small but very clean with a great bed and stocked fridge. It was on the loud side, though (neighbouring rooster).

The location is within walking distance of the famous pub street (5-7 minutes), but in a quiet alley (apart from the rooster).

The big plus is the staff. Really nice! The included breakfast is basic but you can upgrade it, if you like.

A negative amenity is maybe the high laundry price (2$/kg), which is a bit ridicoulous, considering that there are 3 or 4 laundries for half the price within 1 minute walking distance.

But I can really recommend this place!

• Stayed: August 2012