“Avoid this hotel”
Review of Im Malis Hotel

Im Malis Hotel
Ranked #320 of 529 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 February 2014 via mobile

My trip to Siem Reap would be wonderful, had I NOT stayed at this hotel. I booked Im Malis on Agoda because of its location, and it's the only good point that I awarded 1 star.
After booking, I dropped mail to the hotel immediately to ask for confirmation of airport pick-up, it went unanswered. I continued to send reminder email, they did not bother to read and reply me at all.
Upon arrival at the hotel, we were told that there were NO available rooms for us, what??? We were sent to another hotel which is low standard, smelly, wet, dirty, farther and weak wifi signal to stay that night.
The next day, we were back to stay at Im Malis, it was not better though. Mosquitos (big ones) were all around. Both rooms I booked had problems with hot shower. The water did not come out. Staff said they would send someone to fix, and it would be ok in 15 mins. I waited for more than 1 hour, still not fixed. They opened another room for me to take bath, but the water also stopped in the middle....When I came to complain at the reception desk again, I saw another traveler having the same problem with no water in his room.
Staff in general speaks little English, the girl in the morning is rude, shows her displeasured face whenever I complained. The boys only knew saying sorry while trying to be nice by giggling.
All in all, stay away from this hotel. Of all hotels I've stayed in Cambodia, this is the worst. Will never ever recommend this to anyone.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank pq_anh

Reviewed 13 February 2014

We booked to stay here for 2 nights and ended up staying for 4, such great service and comfort.
Location: 5 mins walk to night markets and pubs/restaurants. Area was pleasant and it's a nice walk. Did not feel unsafe.
Room: we stayed in basic double. No outside window but fantastic for price.... Bed is the comfiest we have found with big thick, soft cotton duvet and good pillows. Air con was good, and the shower was much more powerful than normal budget hotel and had hot water.
Breakfast: great free breakfast - unlimited filter coffee (self serve), choice of Asian or continental breakfast. We only tried the continental which was toast and choice of eggs followed by a banana plate. The Asian option included soup and a few other things. The eggs were thoroughly cooked (unusual in my experience of Asia hotels).
On the day when we went to Angkor for sunrise they were happy to pack breakfast up for us to take on the trip.
Service: staff all went out of their way to be polite and helpful. They gave us map of town as soon as we arrived and explained their tour options for the temples. They were not pushy just informative, so we bought from them the next day. Be aware however if you take a tuk tuk the driver is not likely to speak good English and will just drop you at various temples and wait - nothing more. Don't expect a guide like service or any explanation about temples.
On our day of departure we planned to take a 7am bus checkout out early morning and said goodbyes, however as it turned out that bus was full and we had to book for the later 12.30 bus. When we arrived back to hotel to wait, the manager was kind enough to give us our room key back and prepare us breakfast, which made the wait painless. Really nice service.
Highly recommend this hotel, great value place to stay in Seim reap!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 February 2014

I had a confirmed booking here, a copy of which I even emailed the hotel at their request. I arrived at 3AM after an arduous 20 hour overland journey from Viet Nam to find that not only did they not have my booking, they were full. They were apologetic and took me on scooter to another hotel, also full and then to a basic hostel which I had to take. This turned out to be a $10 a night place which I was made to pay $30 for even though I'd said I wouldn't pay that. When I repeated this respectfully the next morning, everyone got nasty and the staff from Im Malis Hotel who had returned to try to sort out my booking, left me to sort out the mess.

Room Tip: If you're travelling to Siem Reap during peak season (Dec to March) even though you have a confi...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 February 2014

This was hands down the worst hotel experience ever!

We arrived to find out that the hotel had no record of our reservation. Despite providing the staff with booking confirmation emails, reservation numbers, etc. the only response we got was a few giggles and to be told that it was not on their system. When we asked to speak to the manager, we were told he was away on holidays in Thailand. We asked if we could book into a room to stay anyways - they were fully occupied. Being Chinese New Year availability of hotels in Siem Reap was very very low so we had little alternative. Apparently none of the 3 desk phones behind the desk worked to allow us to call the company we made the reservation through so we had to use the credit on our own phone to call the UK. The hotel said that they had no access to emails either when our booking agent needed to contact them.

After 45 mins of going back and forward but getting nowhere they decided that they did in fact have a room they could put us in. They showed us to our room where the toilet was on constant flush mode - two of the staff spent 5 mins looking at it before they decided that there was another spare room one door down that we could have instead. Where all these available rooms came from in a fully occupied hotel is beyond me!

To make matters worse - the room absolutely reeked of stale smoke (a smell that left a stench on our clothes and hair upon leaving). There were mosquitoes and ants all over the hotel - including in our bedroom. The bed sheets were ripped and stained, the towels were very badly stained, there was hair in the bathroom and a load of brown water exploded out of the tap when i turned it on for the first time. Breakfast was very limited, the coffee was cold - I avoided it at the recommendation of another guest when he spotted me pick up the pot! There were even ants on the plate of food they served us for breakfast!!

After all that, the hotel even tried to make us pay a higher price than which we booked the room for! Despite the visa signs - their credit card machine surprisingly doesn't work so we had to get a tuk tuk to the nearest ATM to enable us to pay.

If there was an option for less than one star to give them on tripadvisor, they would certainly be getting it!!!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

Just spent 4 nights at Am Malis hotel in mid Jan. this year and really impressed by the courtesy and friendliness of staff who were informative, obliging and efficient.
My room was cleaned daily and the bathroom/toilet cleaned to a high standard. Sovann and his staff certainly made me feel welcome and I recommend this hotel to travellers visiting Siem Reap.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 January 2014

During my stay I found the room size is good having two big sized windows opening towards road side which gives a marvelous look all the times. The rest room attached with the room has cold and hot water. The hotel is very neat and clean. The hotel charges are affordable and it includes break fast free.The staff of the hotel: Sovann, Sophea, Pravid, and others are honest, helping and friendly.The hotel has free WIFI and booking facility of tour and transport. I recommend this hotel to a tourist who want to spent his time in Siem Reap with less money but more facilities.

Room Tip: "Corner suites are large and sunny
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank DP T
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Booked deluxe double room through Agoda. Once arrived, they only offered us a two single bed room. We refused and asked them to provide us what paid for or we would expect our money back. Suddenly, we were promised the room that we booked. After 1 hour of waiting, they gave us our double room. Problem is that it was a smoker's room (despite no smoking signs in the room). We wanted our money refunded and we would have left, no harm done. However, they would not refund us our money no matter how much we tried. Begrudgingly, we stayed one night and the next day we found a much nicer place for a lot less.

Room Tip: Don't book here. There are better options nearby.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple