“Superb value and service - about £15 a night incl. breakfast”
Review of Bopha Pollen Hotel

Bopha Pollen Hotel
Ranked #79 of 507 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I stayed here for 3 days in November 2013. I arranged with them to be picked up by tuktuk from the bus station – free. Incidentally I traveled from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap by Giantibis bus – a journey of over 7 hours in a very modern and impressive bus service for a mere $12. Excellent.

The hotel was amazing value for money. The cost for a king sized bed in a large modern well equipped room including breakfast for up to 2 people was £50 (for 3 days).

Being located on the end of Street 4 it is not in an ideal central location – you need to use the tuktuk which costs $1 to take you to the Night Market area. The room was large modern and attractive. It had a smallish modern TV (access to CNN news channel), a room safe, a good sized bathroom with modern fixtures and a shower above the bath with plenty of hot water. My room was on the top floor (lift only goes to 4th floor) so I had to walk up one flight of stairs. My ‘reward’ for this a balcony for a real good view of Siem Reap. Great.

The staff very good indeed – they seemed to want to please and were friendly and did of there best for you. Communication my email worked well setting up that tutktuk pickup and checking that my visit was taking place.

The hotel goes that extra mile. There is some fruit as well as water and drinking facilities free. I had an evening meal on my first night – they gave me a free green salad (very nice) as a starter. The meal was good as well – freshly cooked Chicken with vegetables and cashew nuts – about $5. The following night I even had a cocktail for $2 together with steak and red wine source $10. The beef steak was not to my taste – stringy and too red in the middle – I left half of it. The internet is free and on the two occasions it was difficult to connect (not signal strength). I just tried again in a different position. When it ‘connects’ it worked well.

The breakfast was the type that is self service and finishes at 10 a.m. Someone is on hand to help with things including managing making your toast. So as much as you want from fruit, bread and jams, tea coffee orange juice. Also ‘hot’ food of eggs, small sausages, small salad, more spicy stuff typical of Thailand and Cambodia. The problem with self service is usually that the food is luke warm or cold. Sadly this was the case here. The fried eggs and omelette were already cooked at the fried eggs in particular looked coldish and unappetising. So improvement is needed on keeping the food warm (a microwave for customers?) and cooking your eggs fresh. They could also add some yogurt and/or cereal. By the way, the hot food is changed so one day streaky bacon, the next spicy Sausage.

Overall I was very pleased with my stay and would recommend the hotel and stay there again. The main improvement would be the breakfast but the standard of service, room quality and value is excellent by any standard.

Room Tip: If you do not mind walking up one flight of stairs - get a room on top floor with a balcony
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 9 November 2013

My husband and I checked into Bopha Pollen for 4 nights R&R away from home. We booked a superior double room for $27/night on Agoda and felt it was a steal after our stay there. The staff were extremely accommodating, friendly, and greeted everyone. The pool is small but large enough for a cool-off in the evenings. Our room size was more than adequate - plenty of room for our bags and shopping and a very comfortable bed with lots of pillows - which is very difficult to find in Cambodia! The bathroom is pretty tiny - only one person at a time can fit, but they had a bathtub with some of the best hot water I've found in Cambodia.

The breakfast was pretty mediocre - unfortunately they precook eggs and keep them in a hot server, which doesn't work very well. And sometimes the internet was fussy and not consistent. Other than that, everything was great about the hotel.

You're about 15 minutes walking from Old Market, or a $1 tuk tuk ride. At the end of the street where it meets Sivatha, there's a grocery store (Angkor Market) where you can pick up any essentials you need.

The staff at the hotel also booked a taxi to Poipet for us at $30, which is a pretty good price. The driver was safer than most, which is what I had asked for!

Overall, we'd stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel (i.e. 101-105). We were in 108, at the front, and the road t...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travellingwife09
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We spent three days in this hotel. It is very clean, with a good buffet breakfast, and friendly staff. There are always tuk-tuks, organised by the hotel outside to go into Siem Reap for a couple of dollars. They organise Angkor tours with or without a guide, but the guide we had, Mr. Chuop Sarorn, was very competent and enthusiastic. We were very impressed that the hotel, although we had checked out, allowed us to use a room for a massage. Unfortunately the masseur my wife had was so enthusiastic she tore a cartilage in my wifes left knee. Please be careful using these people. We unfortunately left a drawing we bought of Angkor in the tuk-tuk organised by the hotel, but, despite three emails to the hotel we have had no response. This makes one feel that the "friendliness" is very superficial and that no honesty lies behind it.

Room Tip: The lift stops at level 3
1  Thank WhiteRabbit5
Reviewed 15 October 2013

An excellent value for money hotel in Siem Reap located a little away from action around the night market area but only a US$1 Tuk Tuk ride away. Good mid-sized rooms with ensuite, clean and quiet. Hotel has a better than expected restaurant service on the ground floor.

The hotel also has affiliated Tuk Tuk drivers with set prices to the temples and around at prices (US$13-$15 per day) less than the street price.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank GuruB0b
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This is what I would consider a 4-5 star hotel at the price of a 1-2 star hotel. The staff are extremely polite and spoke very good English. The room was huge with a separate bath and shower, they offered numerous tours at really good prices through the hotel run tuk tuks. Every morning was a buffet breakfast which changed daily, some of the items were fried rice, rice porridge, stir fried veges, fried eggs, scrambled eggs, stuffed omelets, croissants, toast, fresh fruit and the list goes on. There is a lovely pool with sun chairs all around, free wifi and its only a 5-10 min walk into the main part of town. If you are looking for somewhere to stay and don't mind spending a little extra this is the place to go.

2  Thank Daniel J
Reviewed 3 October 2013

It's been amazing. The staff was very friendly and helpful with everything. The hotel has tuk tuks and they cost only 13 or 15 for the whole day. Try to do it trough the hotel, otherwise the street tuk tuks can cost you more. Also you can rent the bus to other places from the hotel.

the location is not the best, but is ten minutes walking from the city centre

Reviewed 2 October 2013

Bopha pollen has offered us very good memory as what i assume is they are very genuine, I had booked online and I requested for free transfer to the hotel from the bus stop. Even though usually its 6 hours journey from Phnompenh to Siem Reap, Our bus took 9 hours to reach there, still i dont know the reason, we had tried to convince the new timing to the hotel on phone in-between , we couldn't conclude our message on mobile as there was line disturbance; I thought We would nt get their tuk tuk for the transfer, but the guy was waiting there at 2 am at the bus stop. It was a surprise.

Hotel rooms are spacious and pleasant. Having a small but good pool with fresh cool water near the front office. Tea or coffee is kept in the lobby and one can have it free of cost. Location also good enough to go the pub street or market..

Recommend it..

Room Tip: Its a very lovely hotel and the tariff is quite low. You will wonder with the money value as this pl...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple