“Safe place to eat”

Haven
Price range: US$5 - US$13
Cuisines: Cambodian, International
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: An oasis for our guests and a safe place for our «family», the trainees and staff. Located in the heart of Siem Reap, but away from the hustle and bustle of Pub Street, we offer you a beautiful haven to relax and indulge. While enjoying a dish from our special selection of flavourful Asian and Western food – including some Swiss specialties and many fresh vegetarian tidbits – you are supporting our training programme and are thereby helping disadvantaged young adults to achieve a secure and independent future.
Reviewed 10 June 2014

With all the dodgy offerings in the area this place is an oasis of clean.

The savoury fair was lovely, especially the chicken curry.

The apple tart was below average, humidity doesn't do wonders to pastry unfortunately.

Would go back to this place in a flash

1  Thank Pekingducksoup

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I strolled up at 7pm to see if they had a table. They were fully booked but the manager squeezed me in on a sofa with a small table which was very comfy.

The food was wonderful. I had the fried spring rolls with a peanut dip which had a great flavour. The chicken amok was amazing - the best amok I've had in Cambodia.

The staff are wonderful and you have to wonder at the ethos behind Haven supporting vulnerable young adults.

This is the number 1 restaurant on tripadvisor and gets fully booked even in low season. I can't believe people leave negative reviews when they can't get a table or turn up later than the last seating and haven't even eaten here! If you want to eat here, BOOK. if you wanted to go to a top restaurant at home, you'd book so why should it be any different here?

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We heard nothing but great things about Haven, and were encouraged by friends and our hotel to check it out. We arrived at Haven five till 9:00 pm during low travel season June. The host (apparently owner) was speaking with a woman in front of us. By the time he finished speaking after we patiently waited we were told the last seating is at 9:00 pm and now it was 9:01pm. We all looked at him a bit puzzled and shocked. The restaurant wasn't packed and he did say himself the last seating was at 9:00 pm and still refused to seat us. We even offered to order take away and he still refused to allow us although the kitchen was far from closing. Apparently he is not too eager for business. I hope they aren't teaching the students this type of hospitality to travelers.

3  Thank Ellie A
HavenCambodia, Owner at Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2014

((I am sorry for this late reply. For personal reasons I was not able to reply to any reviews during the last couple of months. I am fully aware that it is really late to reply now and that you probably won't even see my answer anymore... But just in case you do: Thank you for your feedback and sorry for my delayed but no less sincere answer.))

Dear Ellie A, thank you for your feedback and sorry about that night. I know this is too late for you, but we actually dropped the "last sitting" rule after your review. Which means, we can now seat guests after 9pm, but they do need to order fast, as our kitchen closes (unchanged) at 9.30pm and the restaurant at 10pm.

One last word about your comment that we are not eager for business. This is of course not the case, BUT I have to admit that where other businesses probably put money first, we put our HAVEN Family first. Which means that we are very strict with the times, to make sure everyone gets home on time, after a long day at work & studying.

Thank you for your understanding and best wishes,
Sara & the whole HAVEN Family

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We saw this restaurant ranked first in trip advisor so we decided to try it. We ordered Cambodian dishes, however the taste is pretty much altered to suit westerner palate. The curry I had was a bit sour, on top of that they also provide a side of tamarind dip with the meal. My partner order stir fried beef with egg and rice, the stir fry beef also tasted sour.

Beside the foods, everything else is great. The atmosphere was great, it is a great place to relax, good gap between one table to the other tables, which reflect that the owner cares about the guest comfort while they dine and not too much concentrating on making revenue by putting more tables to fill the spacious gap between tables.

The owner also build the place for a good cause, to educate, and help poor people by giving them an opportunity to learn something so these people can have a better future.

We have a great overall experience however we didn't really enjoy the foods.

1  Thank indonie
Reviewed 7 June 2014

The best food I had in Cambodia, I had a fish curry somthing burmese, absolute fantastic.

the atmosphere was not special, but the food was.
think the way how they train the kuds in to their future careers is amazing, hats of for them.

need to prebook - the evening we were there they let down at least 30 guest since the had not booked.