We stayed at the Sofitel for 7 nights. The staff were helpful, and polite. We were given a welcome drink and cold towels upon arrival which was nice after the heat, while they checked us in. The check in process was slow, it was really a case of only 1 thing at a time, but after we stayed for a few days and went around town, we realised this was the norm, everyone runs on Cambodian Time.
We stayed in a Junior Suite room 511 which was a fabulous room, very spacious with walk in robe, bath tub, and a lounge room with 2nd TV, and a dressing table in the wardrobe area. Everything was very clean and immaculate. The welcome fruit basket was yummy. Although slow the staff are very thorough. Every night we received a gift with the turn down such as a Khmer scarf, spices etc.. which was a nice touch. The only thing I did not like was the room above us I think it must be room 611, had someone staying there who really walked like an elephant, very heavy stomping, which was annoying at times but nothing serious.
The pool was fantastic, go mid morning as it is the quietest then, afternoons can get busy. The pond and gardens were beautiful to walk around in after the heat from templing and town.
The buffet breakfast was very good. It was a nice selection and very good quality, but not too much variety like in Thailand or Fiji or Australia. BUT then we went to the Le Meridien next door to check out their breakfast and it was really bad. The food was messy as they had a very small area with hordes of people jostling and diving in, guys it's a holiday not an eat fest! And the rice and noodles were hard and chewey like rubber, the only good things there were the yoghurt and juices only. The buffet dinner had great food, and the Apsara dance show was pretty good.
My sister stayed in a standard room overlooking the pool and she was very happy. We enjoyed walking around the grounds and it was a welcome respite from templing and crowds, to have some space and quiet to yourself. The cocktails and coconuts by the pool were great, the cocktails were $AUD 6!
We hired the tuk tuk driver from the hotel. It was a bit expensive comparatively at $18 per day, extra $7 for sun rise or to go to Banteay Srei, but the driver knows his stuff, and all the roads and locations of all the spas, restaurants etc. He was professional and I guess if we had any problems we can report back to the hotel. Twice we flagged down a tuk tuk on the road outside the hotel to go to Frangipani Spa, and also once to go back to the Hotel from town, and we ended up directing the drivers as they did not know! One did not speak any English at all, but he was very poor from the way he was dressed so I gave him a tip just the same. But yes I had to direct him, and me a female, I thought I did a pretty good job!
We tried Le Spa as well at the Hotel. We all had the Indian Head Massage with Oil, and it was not good. The therapists kept asking us personal questions during the treatment, I could not relax, and just vege out. Where are you from, what do you do etc...It was not very professional. Also the massage itself was not good. My head was being scratched with very light strokes, and when she did put pressure on it was on my bones, not on muscles so it hurt. My husband had the same experience. My sister said hers wasn't as bad. However the atmosphere was very quiet and peaceful with the sounds of water etc, but the treatment itself I did not enjoy. I think for the same price you can try both Frangipani and Bodia spas.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in landscaped gardens on Charles de Gaulle Avenue, Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf and Spa Resort is the closest Siem Reap hotel to the ruins of Angkor Wat. This unique Siem Reap Cambodia hotel is situated near traditional markets, tourist attractions and the airport. Enjoy the many features of Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf and Spa Resort, including 238 rooms, a swimming pool, Jacuzzi, spa, five food & beverage outlets, the Phokeethra Country Club, and a world class 18 hole golf course. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Southall Travel, Ctrip TA, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf and Spa Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf Hotel Siem Reap
- Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Hotel
- Sofitel Siem Reap
- Siem Reap Sofitel