“Could have been great.”

Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf and Spa Resort
Ranked #27 of 361 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 17 August 2012

Stayed as this hotel. First night we were placed in a room less than I had paid for. Apparently a miscommunication between expedia and sofitel. They upgraded us to a better room which was pleasing. My partner asked for as complimentary dinner to make up for the inconvenience. We were asked which restaurant so we requested the French and told a time of 7.30. When we arrived they hadn't booked us in. My partner became nervous so asked them to ring the assistant manager and confirm the complimentary dinner. He came over after we had already ordered and told us he didn't say it was complimentary but thought we were just asking for advice on a restaurant and what time would be good for us to eat. As if we need advice on what would be a good time for us to eat.
It was very embarrassing in front of the other diners so I just said don't worry I understand and will just pay for the meal which cost over $100. My girlfriend spoke to the assistant to the general manager the next day and also complained about the fact that we had the windows open and weren't warned about the bug spray that they would be spraying outside which wafted into the room. Also the fact that our toilet in both the rooms we were in were blocked. Apparently they are going to now look at implementing a warning to guests on Mondays that they will be spraying. After all the complaints he offered us a complimentary dinner in there other restaurant. And promised there would be no confusion this time. I was feeling very happy and grateful that they were making amends. Went to the dinner and felt more positive about the stay. As it has beautiful gardens and a nice atmosphere. The next day though when checking out I noticed we had been charged for the two pineapple juices that we had with our complimentary meal. It is for this single reason that I am writing my first ever review and making my first ever complaint about anywhere. It is beyond repulsive and petty that they would charge me for these two drinks at what was supposed to be a complimentary dinner to make up for the crap we had to put up with for a hotel that cost me over $500 for 3 nights. I am not wealthy and have never even stayed at a 5 star hotel. It was supposed to be a treat for my girlfriend on our first overseas adventure. I expected better.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Aaron M
There are newer reviews for Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf and Spa Resort

Reviewed 10 August 2012

This was the end of our 4 week trip around Vietnam & Cambodia, and what a way to finish. We were welcomed by very friendly and helpful staff on arrival. Our room was great (Junior Suite), it was super clean and very large. Bed was so comfortable, bathroom was large with a great shower. Separate sitting room and dressing room came in very handy for packing all our souvenirs.
Restaurants were good quality with good service. Breakfast had a great selection. Pool was warm and clean. Gardens were magnificent.
I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it!!!

Reviewed 3 August 2012

I stood at the Sofitel for the third time within the last three years. This time for nine nights. They improved details (brand new bicycles, new tv-sets, etc.) which makes it still my first choice in Siem Reap. During my stay I checked other hotels (Heritage Suite: good for dinner, but rooms just large but not nicely decorated. Shinta Mani: Nice interior design but view, location and staff are not comparable to the Sofitel). Of course the Sofitel has a little bit of an old style charm, but at least a very classy one. They have fast Wifi everywhere and it's free!
Book one of the superior room in the Lake Wing (as opposed to Pool Wing).

Avoid breakfast between 7 and 8:30. That's time when the groups (if there are any) used to have their bf, what might get a little noisy.

Room Tip: Lake Wing. Superior room (they come with a very nice lounge area), upper floor. I stood at room 509.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank CYTT
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Great setting, great staff, not far to the sights and markets, have a swim, have a beer or a wine or spirit; great restaurants and bar; great food both western and eastern. A fine 5 star hotel. What else can I say!

Room Tip: Corner suites have large balcony and wonderful sun
3  Thank PhilS321
Reviewed 28 July 2012

WOW, what a hotel, the pool, gardens and grounds are just fabulous.

Check In was pretty cool, they take your details in the lobby, bring you a cold drink and damp towel and then onto your room, I was lucky enough to be upgraded to a suite.

The location is great, not too far from the aiport and centrally located to the temples/ruins of Angkor Wat/Angkor Thom (spectacular) and also to Pub street.

Staff are extremely polite, courteous and attentive, nothing was too much trouble for them

Breakfeast was very nice, beautiful buffet and choice of numerous hot dishes also.

I will certainly visit the Angkor Wat/Angkor Thom again (be prepared for the heat and humidity) and I will definitely stay in the Sofitel again, faultless stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank dara100
Reviewed 22 July 2012

The room, the staff, the food - everything was pure quality. The hotel staff were attentive and friendly. Nothing was too much trouble. While we were there the Sofitel had a porblem with its air conditioning affecting some services. They went out of their way to personally explain what was happening and the timing of the fix.

Both checking in and checking out were trouble free and I would go back to Siem Reap just to stay at the resort.

Thanks for making our holiday such a pleasure.

Room Tip: I think any room would be fine as the hotel is well back from the road and just out of town.
2  Thank aussie_travellers_90
Reviewed 18 July 2012

We just got back from a great trip staying at the Sofitel. Excellent pool and fabulous rooms. The grounds are incredibly well maintained. We will come back!

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family