“Hotel grounds best I've seen”

Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf and Spa Resort
Ranked #26 of 373 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 7 January 2014

The landscaping is amazing at this resort. Beautiful statues of elephants, tigers, buddhas, etc. surround the large pool. After a day touring the temples, the pool was so inviting. They even had a bar accessible from the water. We took advantage of couples massage and were treated to foot massage, tea, sauna and wonderful massage in one room.

The restaurant got crowded in the morning and often ran out of food until staff had time to refill, but we were on vacation and not in rush. Local live music filled the lobby in the afternoon and the chef personally served us a cheese platter in bar one night. Front desk very helpful and concierge secured us a Puk Puk to take us to town for last minute shopping.

Room was modern and comfortable. They left us lemongrass and curry to take home.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Fabrice D, General Manager at Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf and Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Greeting from Sofitel Angkor ! I appreciate your comments posted on Trip Advisor regarding your stay and will surely share these with my Team. I am sure that our gardener team will be delighted to read your comments about our landscape and will be certainly very proud of their work and daily effort being noticed. I will take this opportunity to send you on behalf of ALL the Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Family all our BEST wishes for 2014… Happy New Year! Fabrice Ducry – General Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,440)

Reviewed 5 January 2014

I debated between giving 4 vs 3 stars. My prior email exchanges with the concierge staff were very efficient, compared to another hotel that I had reservations (Borei Angkor), thus I chose this hotel for my family trip. We had dispute about airport transfer cost, which we were entitled for staying at Prestige suites, but it was eventually resolved. The concierge overall did an excellent job organizing our tour.

We had 5 rooms altogether, but they still couldn't put us together near each other. The grounds are beautiful. The rooms, albeit not new, are kept very pleasant and clean. I had hot water problems in the first morning, but they sent somebody right away to fix it.

Breakfast buffet, included, was plentiful and good quality. The food at Citadel was very good. We tried Mouhot's Dream, recommended by other TA reviews, but it was a disaster. There are simply other better choices for the money we spent outside the hotel, but we chose to eat at the hotel for the food credit that came with our hotel rate, and I regret it. Well, we didn't go to Siem Reap for the food.

The best part of the hotel was the driver they provided for us, I believe his name was Sophor? He truly provided excellent service throughout the 3 days that we used him. We had a terrible guide the first day and had two better ones the next two days. I recommend arranging the vehicle through the hotel, but hiring a guide on your own.

We had a trip of a lifetime at Siem Reap though. No matter where you stay, Angkor Wat will take your breath away, and 3 days is the minimum you should stay. Sofitel provided a good base for us throughout the stay.

Room Tip: Prestige suites are well worth the money.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Fabrice D, General Manager at Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf and Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Bonjour from Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra,

Thank you very much for your honest feedback about your experience in our property.
While reading your feedback, I was sorry to read that we may have let you down on a few elements during your stay with us and I do sincerely apologies for it.

On the other hand, I’m glad to note that we were able to shine on some occasions (our Driver, with our Concierge, the quality of the food at Citadel or again the cleanliness of the property)
You can be sure that I will share your experience with my Heads of Departments so that we can recognize each individual and team for their performance and also work on the areas where we may have failed.

Thank you once again for your constructive comment and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back some time soon in Siem Reap. :) - Fabrice Ducry – General Manager

Reviewed 5 January 2014

We stayed in SR for 2 nights. The hotel had beautiful grounds and very comfortable rooms.It is a big hotel but beautiful. It was a bit spread out but easy to get used to very quickly. I wish we had more time to enjoy the actual hotel. it seemed like a great place to just relax....just too many things to see and do in SR. It was about a 10 minute tuk tuk ride into town which was usually $2 to $3 . I actually enjoyed these rides into town. We were also about 10 minutes from Angor Wat.
We only had breakfasts there and the food was very good and had lots of choices. The staff of the hotel was very kind, friendly and helpful. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Bonjour from Siem Reap! Thank you very much for your positive feedback regarding our property and the quality of our services. By reading your comments, it is a pleasure to notice how you’ve seemed to have enjoyed your time in Siem Reap and our hotel was the perfect match for you. On behalf of all the “Ambassadors” of the Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra, I wish you with a little delay all our Best wishes for 2014 and really hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again! Fabrice Ducry – General Manager

Reviewed 4 January 2014

we came with group and were arranged to sit in one area, away from other customers.

My boyfriend and I were nearly the last in our group leaving the restaurant, and we left the Rayban sunglasses on the dining table. We sensed that in the lobby, within only 2 mins walking distance, but the table was cleaned up shining when we hasted back.It was our carelessness indeed.

HOWEVER, every staff on the scene just kept saying no, no manager or supervisor showed up to offer help, at least asked "the one" who cleaned the table.

the other two partners on the same table did see the sunglasses when we were eating. in fact, we four all lay the glasses on the table.

It is really frustrasing and annoying experience. IN JUST 3-5 MINUTES.

The 5-star hotel requires more personnel training.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank lacarita
Fabrice D, General Manager at Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf and Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Bonjour from Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra,

As I understand, you had the opportunity to visit our hotel and come to have lunch in one of our restaurant during your time in Siem Reap. I am very sorry to read about the unfortunate situation which I can understand have left a bitter taste. I was already made aware of this situation on that same day, the team being transparent about the issue. The hotel has been open for the past 13 years and most of our “Ambassadors” have been loyal to the company for many years. Thankfully, missing items on property are very rare and in most cases, items are found. As you can imagine In an international chain, process for lost and found are in place and has proven to be very efficient. Please note that in any case would l like to sound complacent and should you have any additional information that you may be able to share with us privately in order for us to solve the case, please do not hesitate to contact me at H3123-GM2@sofitel.com. Thank you again for your feedback and I hope that you will give us another chance in the future to regain your confidence. I will take this opportunity as well to wish you all the Best for the New Year! Fabrice Ducry – General Manager

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Very friendly and pleasant staff. For check in you sit and relax, they take your documents and come back with the check in documents for you to sign. No line and they bring a small drink.
The hotel is well located with only a short ride to restaurants near the Pub street area. I did not book any excursions through the hotel.
Rooms are nice but modest. For the price I did expect better, but the room was clean and comfortable and done in relaxing wood tones. My room overlooks the pool with very green surrounding garden. Other rooms may not have as nice a view as the hotel is close to major streets. WiFi is free and fast enough for general internet activities - social networking etc. Videos or short clips do buffer
I did not use the spa.
My only experience with the concierge to find a restaurant went well. He was very pleasant and helpful. Identified a very clean and attentive restaurant not far from Pub Street. However recommendations on Trip Advisor were better.
Breakfast is very nice with good options. They cook your eggs when you order them. This goes for fried eggs - not just omelets or scrambled eggs. Pancakes were kept under a lamp but tasted fresh - I was there at 6:30 am.Good assortment of fruits, breads, etc. More geared to western tastes but they do have noodles etc.
Lunch buffet also had good variety and the food was tasty. Did not have dinner at the hotel.
The gym is relatively small but the equipment was in good shape. Mostly Life Fitness machines - 2 treadmills, 1 stair machine, 1 elliptical, 1 cycling machine. Free weights, a couple benches and a universal machine. When I went there was no wait as I was the only one in the gym.
The small cafe near the lobby does not have the fastest service, but they are very pleasant. Just wave or walk to the bar to get their attention.
Pleasant relaxing experience. I thought the hotel was definitely better than average but probably not fully deserving a very good rating.
I have not yet checked out. One day to go, so hopefully the rest of the stay is just as good.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool have a very relaxing view. The ground floor rooms facing the pool even have a...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

I would like to thank you for your exhaustive comments regarding our property and our services. It is always very nice when someone takes the time to go through our service in details. Our goal is to always improve our product and services, and through various guest feedback and observation, we continue driving quality in all we do. I have taken good note of all your comments and have shared the details with my team. There is not one day that all the Ambassador of the Sofitel Angkor leave no stone unturned to make every guest stay memorable… I do hope that you did enjoy your stay until the last minute and hope to have the chance to welcome you personally during your possible next stay. Once again, thank you for your feedback, and with much delay … on behalf of all the Ambassadors of the Sofitel Angkor, I wish you all the Best for 2014! Best regards, Fabrice Ducry – General Manager

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Wife and I + 2 kids (5 and 8) stayed for 4 nights. Very large ground although close to city center (5min tchuk tchuk), therefore very quiet. Great pool (40m, warm, clean), so perfect with children. Very friendly staff and manager. Clean, good buffet. Good 4*. If you have kids, I think its a better and much less expensive choice than the Aman. If its just the 2 of you, worth debating. Haven't been inside the Park Hyatt, but given location (i.e. no garden), Sofitel is clearly better. Best hotel for joggers (Angkor is 5k away, so round trip is perfect, all outside of city center)

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Warm Sunny Greetings from Siem Reap! A very short note to thank you for your comment, As I can see from your message, you did appreciate our premium location. You will be happy to know that being a runner myself, we are updating our jogging map to offer various routes for anyone enjoying a run or bicycle ride from the hotel… The hotel has been last year awarded for being a children friendly hotel in a very famous travel magazine… its extensive tropical gardens manicured daily with love by our gardeners, our lakes, the pool and children local activities offered at the hotel are for sure key element well appreciated. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back… possibly for the Angkor Wat Half Marathon in December?... until then, I will take this opportunity to thank you again for staying with us and wishing you all the Best for 2014! – Fabrice Ducry – General Manager

Reviewed 3 January 2014

We had a lovely stay here in November. I don't think the hotel was at full occupancy, so it was nice and quiet. Enjoyed the buffet/dinner show the first night, and the French restaurant the second night. Both were great.
The pool was large and enjoyable, the gardens lush and lovely. The room was great.
My only complaint would be the breakfast focused on the large buffet, and we would have liked a smaller restaurant that we could have gone to have coffee and a ala carte option. We did that in the buffet side, but it seemed a hassle and waited awhile for this option.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Fabrice D, General Manager at Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf and Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Bonjour, I have just been looking back at our previous comments and just realized that I never replied to your message. I apologize for this delay but would like to thank you for your valuable comment – it will certainly encourage all the Ambassadors of the hotel to strive to excellence. We hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back in the future. Fabrice Ducry – General Manager