“Serenity and elegant hotel”

Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf and Spa Resort
Ranked #26 of 361 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 13 February 2014

The gardens and surroundings of the hotel are grand and there is a certain awe of tranquility crossing the large pond filled with water lillies to get to the rooms . Our room was large and very comfortable. The selection of breakfast buffet was superb. The staff were very helpful. The concierge recommended two restaurants in the centre and both were excellent. On the down side, Internet access was frustrating as wifi was erratic and slow. Regarding the food, when we had salads, club sandwich etc was excellent, however when we had Phad Thai Royale and some other Asian food it was rather oily. Otherwise a fantastic stay and I would not hesitate to go back.

• Stayed: February 2014
Fabrice D, General Manager at Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf and Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Bonjour, I have just been looking back at our previous comments and just realized that I never replied to your message. I apologize for this delay but would like to thank you for your valuable comment – it will certainly encourage all the Ambassadors of the hotel to strive to excellence. We hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back in the future. Fabrice Ducry – General Manager

Reviewed 13 February 2014

Booked a 2 nights stay through the Accorhotels.com. Airport pick-up was chargeable at USD70 for a two way service. Quite steep considering location and Le Meridien offered it for free.

Location :- The hotel is very near to Angkor Wat and also the shopping places, but still, ‘tut2’ or any kind of transportation would be needed.

Check-in :- Check-in was smooth, done while having the welcome drink (Lemon Grass Tea). Since my room was not ready at the time of check-in, they asked to wait and offered an upgrade for a sum of amount which I declined considering I will only use the room only for sleeping purpose =-). But the staffs frequently come and apologies for the waiting and frequent updates were given.

Lobby :- The lobby was nice and fragrant. Complimenting it are the superb smiling staffs.

Room :- We took the Luxury Room which comes with a balcony. The room itself was quite spacious and very well maintained. A basket of local fruits were ready in the room but the flowers for the vases came a bit later by housekeeping.

Bathroom :- The bathroom was very clean and well-maintained. Standard bathroom amenities were given but a shaver would be good to add. Water pressure sometimes dropped for a while but it was still ok.

View :- View from the room was nice, facing the lake though it was a obstructed by tree branches. Same goes for the balcony but to the left side of the balcony was not such of a nice view to look at. Sort of an old house dirty house.

Food :- We did not have any meals at the hotel considering we wanted to look for “halal” food at the town.

Remarks :- Through the reservation system, I noted that the trip was in conjunction with my wife’s b’day. One of the staffs from the café was kind enough to wish my wife happy b’day. Though we did not use the pool and any other facilities, but the pool was a large one and looks so tempting, we were informed that the pool closes around 8pm but if we wanted to dip at night, just bring the towels from the room. The lake, a no to swim… hehehe. Internet was free but it somehow logs u in for only an hour and you have to re-login every hour.

p/s :- Faced a minor issue where our transportation to the airport was not arranged and not charged even though confirmation was sent via e-mail, but that did not disrupt our holiday mood since we were still on time for our flight, however, the driver dropped us at the international departure gate and we were supposed to drop off at the domestic gate. Just a few drops of sweat to walk =-).

Would love to come back to this hotel if there were any trips to Siem Reap again.

Room Tip: Mosquitoes are quite plenty-full, however the hotel installs quite a few anti mosquito mats, but its...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Bonjour, in a first instance I wish to apologize for my delayed response. I was reviewing our previous comments and I just noticed that I had not yet replied to the one you left in February. Be assured that we have, however, well noted your remark and we will be taking it into account for our future operations. I hope you will have the pleasure of coming back to Cambodia one day and we will have the delight of welcoming you back to Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra  Fabrice Ducry – General Manager

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Beautiful property with very large rooms and wonderful amenities. We ate buffet breakfasts and dinners. These buffets were exceptional with a very wide variety of choices. We enjoyed live entertainment at both dinners by local Cambodian dancers in beautiful costumes. Service from the staff was wonderful. I would recommend checking to see what dates the live entertainment is playing and schedule your stay for those nights. The tuk tuks were always immediately available. You can travel most anywhere for $3 or less. Very fun way to travel. Our first driver stayed with us and waited at three different stores while we shopped. When asked what we owed him, he responded, "whatever you think". The second driver took us to an event and waited one hour for it to finish, then took us to the night market and waited another 30 minutes before returning us to the hotel. His charge was $10 for 4 people.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Everything about the Sofitel met or exceeded our high expectations. Best of all was the room itself, gleaming with shiny teak floors, pleasing art and tasteful Asian furnishings, all in a very large room. Other hotels might call such a room a junior suite or more. The lobby was beautiful, the bar outstanding, the food very good and the service first rate. The pool was huge and impeccably maintained. The entire property serves as a lovely example of how a low rise five star on a smaller resort size footprint should be designed, maintained and operated. My only complaint is that their WiFi protocol requires far too many log ins, sometimes multiple log ins an hour. Apart from this nuisance, our stay was first rate in all respects.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 February 2014

My stay here was wonderful. I felt like it was an Oasis and the time spent resting on my patio were necessary to protect myself from the heat, chaos of town, and exhaustion of temple viewing.
I had quite a walk to my room- but it was gigantic with a patio the size of most hotel rooms that overlooked palms and the bird sounds trickled into my room.
The staff was amazing. A good example is that my last night I decided to take a bath, but forgot to put the Do not disturb sign out. the staff kept knocked and I announced several times that I was bathing, and they left me alone, after an hour of them frequently coming back, I finally got up to put the sign out and when they approached me I tersely said "I don't need a turn down!" and the nice man said "But, we just wanted to give you this gift", Which is a nice scarf that I have worn most of this winter now!
The breakfast, dinners that I had here were downright amazing. I think I could sit there all day and graze and still not taste everything.
I could totally see making this place a week long destination of relaxation and never leave the place.
What more can I say... stay here!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 7 February 2014

Service was great and staff very friendly. Pool area was good for the kids although the water was a bit cool and a few more toys/slides would be good. Room was good although there were a few mosquitoes there. Coffee was excellent. Concierge very helpful and obliging. Tuk Tuk drivers called on by the hotel were friendly; only once did they try to ask for more money than the norm. Really good hotel to stay at and recommend it to families.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 6 February 2014

A beautiful hotel surrounded by lovingly maintained grounds and a pool to die for.
My party of four spent two nights there immediately before Chinese New Year. The rooms were excellent, the restaurants were marvellous and the service was superb. The hotel is situated very close, a two dollar tuk tuk ride, from the centre of Siem Reap. All in all, very much to be recommended. The people are so friendly !!

Room Tip: We had a room on the ground floor. This has the added advantage of a larger 'patio' area lea...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends